Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Getting ready for Concours - Full detail with Paint Correction

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 11:19 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default I Am SO Humbled But Have Questions Too...

I just finished claying and waxing the XJ8 and waxing the Miata. I skipped claying the Miata. I think it was a mistake. Especially looking at this project.

So, the XJ looked really good but the paint felt rough. Maybe tree sap. I had everything out to do a three stage but it seemed a shame to put that much abrasive into a fine finish.

I never clayed before, but I thought this might be the perfect opportunity. I did the hood and followed Meguire's instructions. However, I was not happly with the finish produced by the spray-on Quick Wax. I re-did it with Meguire's cleaner-wax by hand and it came out terrific. Did the rest of the car that way and the results were satisfying.

On the Miata, I have only used a cleaner-wax in the 20 years we have had her since she is an indoor car and is covered inside too. Her top and window are original. Anyhow, i was going to clay her but the finish seemed pretty smooth. So, I just used the cleaner-wax. However, at the end of the day, I wasn't all that happy with the result. You can see dirt or flaws in the finish, although you have to be a foot from it and staring a while to see it.

So, was it a mistake on the XJ to use a cleaner-wax after claying despite it looking OK now?
Should I just have bitten the bullet and done the three stage for the XJ?
Do you agree the Miata should have a more aggressive three-stage?

I figured I would tag onto this thread rather than starting another.

Last edited by Huntervision; 09-08-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Hi Rick,

Obviously I'm no expert at this but I have a question and some observations based on my very limited experience.

Originally Posted by Huntervision
I never clayed before, but I thought this might be the perfect opportunity. I did the hood and followed Meguire's instructions. However, I was not happly with the finish produced by the spray-on Quick Wax.
I wasn't clear reading your post, did you use a Quik Wax as your clay lubricant? If so, perhaps it smeared rather that cleaned?

Originally Posted by Huntervision
So, was it a mistake on the XJ to use a cleaner-wax after claying despite it looking OK now?
Should I just have bitten the bullet and done the three stage for the XJ?
Do you agree the Miata should have a more aggressive three-stage?[/COLOR]
It all depends on the condition of the paint. Claying will only remove above surface contaminants and will hopefully leave the surface nice and smooth. One useful tip I learned was to do the 'baggie test' Place your hand in a thin polyethylene sandwich bag and lightly run over the paint. You will be amazed at what you feel. Also I've read that applying Iron-X prior to claying will also help. I used it on my project, I'm not sure how much it helps but I don't think it can hurt.

Getting ready for Concours - Full detail with Paint Correction-baggie-test.jpg

Not sure which cleaner/wax you used, some just use a chemical cleaner while other add some fine abbrasives. Generally they will help clear up some oxidation and help fill to mask light swirls. I would think they are good for routine maintenance between polishings.

If your paint has scratches, deeper swirls, etched water spots or etched tree sap/bird droppings, then using some kind of abrasive is probably needed to remove them. Start with the least aggressive approach and see if it clears up the problem. Doing a test spot is a very good way to approach this.

As to the Miata, I think exactly the same approach would apply. If it's never been polished in 20 years, it probably will have some scratches and swirls etc that need to be compounded or polished out, only you can judge that.

No worries about tagging on this thread but you may get many more replies if you do post a separate thread as you will have many more people viewing.

Cheers,

Allan

The following users liked this post:
Huntervision (09-09-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 03:29 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Thanks, Allan...

... that was helpful. All the products are Meguire's. One, I like the guy. Two, I won a case of the stuff in a sailboat race. Three, I have had pretty good luck with them.

In this case, I used their Ultimate Detailer as a lubricant per their instructions. The Quick Wax was after claying it. I suspect the cleaner wax is either all chemical or very slightly abrasive since it hardly removes any flaws.

I agree the Miata needs a compound. I probably wouldn't have noticed it so plainly had I not had the XJ sitting right next to it.

Again, congrads on the great job on that S. BTW, a friend has a twin (six cylinder).

Old 10-16-2013, 04:55 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 138 Likes on 82 Posts

Allan,

This is a fantastic detail. Very Very impressive. Great arsenal of tools . You definitely know what you're doing. The Pinnacle Souveran Wax looks great on the car too

The following users liked this post:
AllanG (10-16-2013)