Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Headlights Protected for 7 Years!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 05:42 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Headlights Protected for 7 Years!

Guys,

So My headlights were getting just a little bit blurry from the top. It was OK but I wanted them in perfect shape.

So I followed Joe's guide on Headlight restoration using 3M kit. It worked out awesome and result was pleasing. (Thanks Joe)

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/e...ics-wow-42119/

Next thing I was concerned about was protection so that I dont have to do this again in a few months or so. After doing some search online I found a product from XPel.

Let me tell you that I'm not advertising for them nor I'm there employee or whatsoever.

Talked to a the guy at Xpel and he told me their protection kits come with 7 Years Warranty, "Your headlights will not become yellow and will stay Crystal Clear. If it happens, they'll fix the problem without cost."

Its been two months since I have them on my lights and here is the result:

Attached Thumbnails Headlights Protected for 7 Years!-204624_10150215868754534_526164533_8432097_6248273_o.jpg   Headlights Protected for 7 Years!-218784_10150215868909534_526164533_8432099_8211636_o.jpg   Headlights Protected for 7 Years!-210523_10150215868024534_526164533_8432082_6828629_o.jpg  

Last edited by RizwanSharp; 04-23-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Rizwan, I just did my headlamps last week with the 3M kit. When you finished with just the 3M did you have abit of hazing still (lite fogging)? If so did the XPel clear that up? Also is it a spray on or wipe on?

Your headlamps look TERIFFIC!!! Nice Job!!!

Old 04-23-2011, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Rizwan, I just did my headlamps last week with the 3M kit. When you finished with just the 3M did you have abit of hazing still (lite fogging)? If so did the XPel clear that up? Also is it a spray on or wipe on?

Your headlamps look TERIFFIC!!! Nice Job!!!
Rick, I didn't have any haze. If you have haze then It probably requires more passes of Sanding and Polishing.

I though had some very minor scratches because of my drill's Battery going down every 15 minutes... By the time I ended and it was evening so couldn't take care of those.

But after putting this kit on, it took care of those and headlights are Crystal Clear.

I didn't install them myself (but most people specially like you I'm sure can do .

This is like a Tint sheet but Clear and Thick (may be 3-4mm Check this image on there website: http://xpel.com/products/Headlamp_cl...ports_car.html) It also protects from stones and chips. And I think the procedure to install it is also similar to tinting.

Complete Kit comes with Headlights + Fog Lights + Some sort of liquid to work with.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Rizwan

Last edited by RizwanSharp; 04-23-2011 at 06:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
joycesjag (04-23-2011)
Old 04-23-2011, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member

Rizwan, I spent about 3 hours doing our headlamps. In our case the headlamps were in poor condition. I have seen the professional (David at Innovative Detailing) posts here, there are a few more grades of sand paper that is not included with the 3M.

Don't get me wrong the 3M kit is one hell of an improvement just not purrrfect.

I am looking into the "wipe on" UZ Protectant.

Alright mods, I know you are going to move this thread....

Old 04-23-2011, 06:46 PM

About the blurriness, I don't know but I would spend more time in first pass with Yellow (Gold) disks, once its completely gone (you don't see any more haze, yellow signs, light is evenly sanded all over), then I would follow other pads and then polish.

I'm sure you might have tried all that.

On there website, they say:

"Headlight protection kits can restore the clarity of dulled and fogged headlamps on older vehicles."

Close up

But you can call them and see what they say about it.

Best of luck for whatever you choose

Old 04-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I did the headlights on my 2003 S-Type because they had become really clouded over. I didn't buy a 3M "kit" for headlight restoration but I used the 3M products I had in my garage that I use for paintjobs.

I used 1000 grit sand paper first and followed it up with 1500 grit. When you are through the lense must be completely sanded with no shiney spots at all.

Next I used a 7" Makita variable speed buffer with a foam pad to buff the lenses. I wet the lenses very slightly with a spray bottle then added 3M buffing compound on the buffing pad. At 1500 RPM I buffed until clear being careful to keep the buffer moving so as not to generate too much heat. If you don't have a buffer you can use one of those Mothers foam buffing ***** or something similar in a cordless drill or an electric drill. Just keep the speed slow or it builds up too much heat and will permenantly damage the lense of the head light. Also keep the buffer off the paint around the headlight too so you don't burn through the paint by accident.

Next I used Meguires car wax to seal the plastic lense. Last step was to use Meguires show car glaze on the lense to re-hydrate the plastic and try to keep it from clouding up again. The results were amazing. Clear as a bell. I was happy.

6 months later the lenses are fogging up again so I broke out the buffer and hit the lenses again. (No sanding this time) The first time took about 2 hours worth of work but this time the lenses cleared up in less than 5 minutes!!! I only used just a touch of 3M buffing compound this time. Then I waxed the lenses again and more Show Car Glaze.

Seems to me the missing step is some sort of UV protectant. The wax and Show Car Glaze BOTH said it offered UV protectant but eveidently not enough to keep the clear lenses from fogging up again. It's been about 3 months and my headlights still look great this time so maybe they will stay clear now. Maybe the trick would be to reapply the wax and/or show car glaze several times so it will sink in and keep the lenses clear.

Anyway this was my experience. I hope it helps!!

"EZ"
2003 S-Type

Old 04-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member

"EZ" Thank you for sharing your experience. You hit the nail on the head as far as the "protectant" goes.

I have the chrome headlight bezels that are attached to joycesjag with 3M tape. Those are a real PITA (first time you will read in any of my posts) to remove and "buff" the lens. I don't look forward to removing them to polish the lens every 6 months, then reattaching.

In the "Detail Section" here, there are a few threads about protecting after lens after sanding (thank you David @ Innovative Detailing!). But most are for "wholesaler" only.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:13 PM

So Rick, what did Dave and others recommend to nourish the plastic lenses and protect them from UV damage after buffing them clear again?

Thanks.

"EZ"

Old 04-23-2011, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member

David recommends a new product that is a "wipe on" product, but again its a wholesale deal only. Here the link to the discussion: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/d...coating-52742/

In another thread a member said to try the SprayMaster UV Protectant but it is a spray, so we have to deal with overspray and orange peel.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:32 PM

I'm not sure I understand the "wholesale only" comment. I read the thread and didn't see anywhere that you had to be a business to buy it. It sounded to me like he was willing to sell it to anyone although he did fail to mention the name brand of the product. He also didn't give a price either..........I wonder why all the secrecy? Looks like if he was going to come on the forum and tell everyone all about it he would be willing to hook us up with the product!!

He has a point. The over the counter products evidently don't have the same amount of UV protectant as his "professional strength" stuff has. I wonder who makes it? I paint cars and motorcycles as a hobby (side business) and can buy from several automotive paint supply places on the 'net at discount (wholesale) prices. I'll check around and see what I can come up with. I'll be glad to share the source and a link if you are interested..............no secrets here!!

"EZ"

Old 04-23-2011, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member

EZ, even though David shares his expertise here, he is not a "sponsored vendor" so I believe he cannot divulge nor sell any products for his personal gain.

I am very interested in the wipe on protectant, as many members here are.

Thank you in advance if you find something.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:08 PM

I buy most of my auto body supplies from AutoBodyDepot - Buy Warehouse Direct at Wholesale Pricing

They are great to deal with and carry EVERYTHING under the sun. Go to their website and you will see that they even have a "Detailing" tab for detailing products. They sell a product for headlight lense restoration that has a 3rd step that is a wipe on "nano technology" product that is supposed to have 300% more UV protection than other products. It doesn't look like they sell the little bottle of nano protectant by it's self but you could always buy the kit for about $39.00. If anyone is really serious about obtaining some I would call them. Maybe they could tell you how to obtain a bottle without buying the whole kit.

"EZ"

Togwt (04-24-2011)
Old 04-24-2011, 03:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Good job , I am sure our experts will also like your stuff

Old 04-24-2011, 07:31 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I am in favour of the idea of a thick, purpose made adhesive PVC cover for headlight protection (also protects against road grit, etc)

I’ve always been wary of vendor claims (especially when it comes to chemicals and their capabilities, as most blur the distinction between science and marketing fiction) that a UV protection product has X years durability, as all ultra violet stabilizers are sacrificial, meaning they are gradually expended to where they can no longer protect against ultra violet radiation damage.

Headlight Protection

Even after a headlight restoration project prevention is always better than a cure; with the average cost of replacement head lamps and fog lamps spiralling to nearly $300, it is nice to know that there is a product available to protect your car against the perils of the open road. These products are made from a proprietary, scratch-resistant, urethane material coupled with the strongest optically clear adhesive available

Protect your expensive headlamps, before it's too late. LampGard™ uses a tough 40 mil thick, double-polished urethane material that is optically clear and applies (peel & stick) directly to the surface. This product has built-in ultraviolet inhibitors that help prevent the material from drying, hardening or discolouring. Custom die-cut to fit your specific vehicle for a precise, perfect fit, it comes with easy-to-follow instructions and applies to headlamps, fog lamps, turn indicators and parking lights (when applicable) to protect them from scratching, cracking and pitting. LampGard™

a) Designed for maximum durability, these light covers were originally tested under the harshest of circumstances with amazing results. Both in the real world and in the lab, our covers have proven that they will withstand a barrage of 1" diameter stones (about 1oz.) at speeds up to 120 M.P.H. with no damage to the lens they protect. It is nice to know that your expensive lenses are protected in every scenario. We are so confident in our product that we offer a 5-year warranty to leave you with complete peace of mind. XPEL™ Headlight protection film can also improve the look of old headlights by reducing the haze build-up – Xpel

b) Headlight Armor offers a full line of Premium Lighting Protection Kits as well as a line of Smoked Taillight Film Kits. Made from a tough impact resistant material that is designed to protect your vehicle's lighting, while being self install friendly

Maintenance – wash, dry and apply UVR protection (303 Space Protectant)

Last edited by Togwt; 04-24-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:23 PM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful and positve stuff that has been shared and discussed regarding the topic of "Headlight Lens Restoral"

In regads to PPF or film coatings, they are always a great idea, either when the vehicle is new, right off the bat or once the lenses have been restored. Personally I have never wrapped lenses with PPF after resurfacing and polishing, only after resufacing and recoating.

I highly recommend wrapping the lenses with PPF when the vehicle is new, this helps eliminate them from getting peppered from road debris, specifically rocks and sand. It also helps prolong the life of the UV coating that is OEM on your vehicles headlight lenses. My choice for PPF would be Avery Dennisons "Nano Fushion' film when it comes to lens or paint protection.

Sorry, I thought the information about the wipe on 2 part coating in regards to pricing and availability had been discussed.......

As I mentioned this product is new to the market and I had been doing testing on it. I had recieved samples from the mfg to test and evaluate. The product is available in 8oz bottles, in 2 parts. It has a built in measuring system (like the Stabil bottles) to be able to pour equal parts. The 8oz bottles will restore a total of 60 lenses or 30 pairs of lights. I do sell the product, but it will run about $125.00 for the application. I have checked with the mfg, and until now they have no individual ampuls or bottles available for small quantaties. If you guys can think of way to do a group purchase this could work out......just let me know.......again all u need is the various 3" resurfacing discs, IPA and the coating, and your done.

I have also been working with an awesome electric tool over the last week that acomplishes exactly what my pneumatic does, but just plugs in.......

**Stay tuned for another thread where we will also discuss lenses that have been ruined after the sacrificial coating was removed and lenses were only polished and waxed. You will see how overtime the lack of a UV coating causes the "Polycarbonate" to crack and check..........

Initial inspection

Name:  DSC_1156.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  32.7 KB

After resurfacing the damage is visible.....

Name:  DSC_1163.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  32.4 KB

Recoated and curing stage with UV lamp shows the crackled glass effect

Name:  DSC_1187.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  89.1 KB

Resurfaced, recoated and cured.

Name:  DSC_1195.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  60.9 KB

The repair above was performed using the spray on system utilizing the UV curing lamp for immediate cured lenses.........

Regardless of how you restore your lenses, one thing for sure....PPF is a ++++ and treat them like your paint, be kind and gentle and wax or seal them often.

Thanks

joycesjag (04-24-2011)
Old 04-24-2011, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member

Once again David, THANK YOU for sharing!

Innovative Detailing (04-25-2011)
Old 04-25-2011, 11:41 AM

Thanks for the heads up David. Looks like I need to find SOMETHING to re-coat my lenses with since I have sanded them and polished them back clear again. If waxing and using show car glaze won't re-seal them then I need something before the cracking and checking starts.

The website I posted the link for sells a product by SEM to seal the headlight lense. But it's a 2 part sprayable product and unless someone is a painter they may not have the skills or equipment necessary to use this product. It also rerquires a UV light to cure it. Item Detail

It looks like there is plenty to do a bunch of headlights. Maybe someone could buy it and re-package it into 1 or 2 oz plastic bottles for re-shipment to other interested Jaguar Forums members. David would it be possible for you to do this with your wipe on product? $125.00 split 10 ways would be pretty cheap. It should still be less than $20 each including shipping..............just a thought.

"EZ"

Innovative Detailing (04-25-2011)
Old 04-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Once again David, THANK YOU for sharing!
My pleasure...your welcome!

Originally Posted by EZrider800
Thanks for the heads up David. Looks like I need to find SOMETHING to re-coat my lenses with since I have sanded them and polished them back clear again. If waxing and using show car glaze won't re-seal them then I need something before the cracking and checking starts.

It looks like there is plenty to do a bunch of headlights. Maybe someone could buy it and re-package it into 1 or 2 oz plastic bottles for re-shipment to other interested Jaguar Forums members. David would it be possible for you to do this with your wipe on product? $125.00 split 10 ways would be pretty cheap. It should still be less than $20 each including shipping..............just a thought.

"EZ"
Your very welcome EZ, what you are proposing would be a great idea, but you would need glass bottles or vials w/screw on caps. Maybe one of you guys can investigate this and do a pour down of the products so as a group everyone that needs it gets it. I will pursue on my end and see what I can find out from the mfg.....

Old 04-25-2011, 02:19 PM

David,
How about 1/2 pint paint cans with lids as sold by automotive paint supply stores? Someone could buy the large quantity then pour equal amopunts of the product into these small paint cans and ship them. I'm almost sure they would go into one of those cheap US postal service boxes.

Look at these empty cans and solvent resistant bottles................
Plastic Paint Bottles and Metal Paint Cans

2 oz solvent resistant bottles are $.89 each. You could stick that in a padded envelope and ship it!!

"EZ"

Old 04-26-2011, 11:18 AM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

EZ, even though David shares his expertise here, he is not a "sponsored vendor" so I believe he cannot divulge nor sell any products for his personal gain.

I am very interested in the wipe on protectant, as many members here are.

Thank you in advance if you find something.

Hi Rick...
i did my Headlight just like you did.. with the 3M system..
but still found it hazy.. so went and purchased a plasti-X from Meguiars plus a product from Rain-X

below is the link for the Rain-X
Rain-X® Headlight Restoration Kit

after sanding, i went it the sanding paper provided by the Rain-X, using it with the lubricant to polish even further ...
then when it all seem good, I use the PlastX with a buffer.. i buffed them good.

Finally i clean the glass with soap water then dry.
to Seal the headlight use the other bottle of sealant. use it a few wipe, and let it dry.

i hope it will help.. plus the cost for the
3M about $20, the plastX about $8 and the Rain-X (got it good deal) for $10

good luck.

Quick Reply: Headlights Protected for 7 Years!