Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Headlights Protected for 7 Years!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 09:23 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Joseph,
Be sure to report back if the Rain-X "sealer" works long term or not. The UV sealer is the key. I've had my lenses clear as a bell twice now and the foggy look has returned both times because I haven't found anything to seal the lenses and protect from UV rays.

I'm not sure an over the counter product will work long term............

Thanks.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Originally Posted by Kapitan1975
Hi Rick...
i did my Headlight just like you did.. with the 3M system..
but still found it hazy.. so went and purchased a plasti-X from Meguiars plus a product from Rain-X

below is the link for the Rain-X
Rain-X® Headlight Restoration Kit
Kapitan funny thing, this past monday I remembered that I have some Meguiars headlight cleaning product (the wax type), I am going to use it to see if the haze clears up better.

I will let you guys know.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:21 AM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by EZrider800
Thanks for the heads up David. Looks like I need to find SOMETHING to re-coat my lenses with since I have sanded them and polished them back clear again. If waxing and using show car glaze won't re-seal them then I need something before the cracking and checking starts.

The website I posted the link for sells a product by SEM to seal the headlight lense. But it's a 2 part sprayable product and unless someone is a painter they may not have the skills or equipment necessary to use this product. It also rerquires a UV light to cure it. Item Detail

It looks like there is plenty to do a bunch of headlights. Maybe someone could buy it and re-package it into 1 or 2 oz plastic bottles for re-shipment to other interested Jaguar Forums members. David would it be possible for you to do this with your wipe on product? $125.00 split 10 ways would be pretty cheap. It should still be less than $20 each including shipping..............just a thought.

"EZ"
EZ, if you can be in charge of the purchase, then do the pour down, coordinate with those that need it, we could pursue the idea......I would be more than willing to provide you with the coating and the support to use it on your vehicles........let me kknow your thoughts....I think it could be a great idea!!

The following users liked this post:
jag79 (05-06-2011)
Old 04-27-2011, 11:44 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

David,
So the product you have is about $125.00? And will be enough for 15 cars? (4 headlights each) Is that correct? OK so that would be like $8.50 or so for product plus the bottles plus shipping and shipping boxes.........so maybe we could do it for about $15.00 each?

How about those solvent resistant 2 oz. bottles. Will they work? The metal cans would be good but will be more expensive to ship and I don't want to use glass containers either. Are the 2 oz. bottles big enough? How many oz. will each one of us get if we devide it up evenly?

I just might be willing to do this if there is enough interest by other members. Let me know the answers above and I'll decide what to do.

Thanks David!

Old 05-06-2011, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by EZrider800
David,
So the product you have is about $125.00? And will be enough for 15 cars? (4 headlights each) Is that correct? OK so that would be like $8.50 or so for product plus the bottles plus shipping and shipping boxes.........so maybe we could do it for about $15.00 each?

How about those solvent resistant 2 oz. bottles. Will they work? The metal cans would be good but will be more expensive to ship and I don't want to use glass containers either. Are the 2 oz. bottles big enough? How many oz. will each one of us get if we devide it up evenly?

I just might be willing to do this if there is enough interest by other members. Let me know the answers above and I'll decide what to do.

Thanks David!
Bro this is an excellent idea, I for one, would be interested. Make a thread and allow the members who are interested in it to sign up. They will pay you of course through paypal.

Good Luck.