Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

How to quick detail your car

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default How to quick detail your car

[/size][/font]

[/size][/font]

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  3.2 KB[/size][/font]

[font=verdana][size=2][align=left]

[align=center]

QUICK DETAILING

Overview:

[*]
Spray & wipe waterless wash history [*]
Using quick detailers to maintain your car [*]
Interior detail sprays [/ul]

Washing your car every week is time-consuming. In this day and age of rushing about, 12-hour workdays and traffic jams, the last thing you have time for is washing the car. Yet, if you’re like me, you hate to have a dirty car. So, what do you do? The answer is quick detailing, often called the waterless wash.

Spray & Wipe History
The spray and wipe (detailing spray) market was created in the early 1980’s. One of the very first companies to recognize the need for detailing sprays was Meguiar’s, who released a product called Trigger Wash. After realizing the name caused some confusion with consumers, Meguiar’s changed the product name to Quik Detailer. The product completely defined a new market and remains one of Meguiar’s top sellers.

Quick detailers, which are often called a “mist and wipe,” are commonly used by detailers and car enthusiasts to put the finishing touch on a freshly detailed vehicle. Mist and wipe products quickly and easily remove water spots, dust and other light contamination. The special formulations evaporate quickly to prevent further spotting and lubricate to prevent scratching. Today, every major car care brand has a mist and wipe product in their line-up. For the car enthusiast, mist and wipe is more than just a convenience; it is a necessity.
Quick detailing sprays are just one useful helper. A number of innovative products have emerged to help us maintain the appearance and cleanliness of our cars. The first such product was the car duster, which remains a popular, safe and effective tool for daily dusting. Next came detailing sprays, which provide the lubrication necessary to remove dirt and dust safely. Most recently, the car care industry has seen the emergence of lint-free microfiber fabrics as multipurpose cleaning and polishing tools.

THE QUICK DETAILING TECHNIQUE
Using my quick detailing techniques, I have reduced my soap-and-water washing to every other week on my commuter car, and once a month on my weekend toys. Time is only one factor in considering quick detailing. Water shortage is another. Sooner or later, drought hits all of us. It seems to run in seven-year cycles here in California.

Done properly, quick detailing can reduce the amount of time you spend cleaning your car. It also reduces the effects of harmful elements (road grime, bird droppings, bugs, etc.), and keeps your car looking sharp. Ten minutes every other day is all it takes to maintain a finely groomed car.
Supplies
To apply my Quick Detailing technique, you'll need two or three good microfiber detailing towels, abucket of water and a quick detailing spray. A car duster also works well at removing the top layer of dust, but is not necessary.
Quick Detailing is not just for the exterior of your car. There are detailing sprays for your car's interior, as well. Sonus Cockpit Detailer is an excellent interior detailer. It removes dust, fingerprints and light soil from all nonfabric surfaces.You will also find a number of handy products for dusting the dash, removing lint and keeping the interior smelling fresh.
Interior First
A few years ago I used an interior mist and wipe from a small European car care manufacturer. The idea was novel, and I loved how the product made my interior look (matte and crisp, like a new car interior). However, I was concerned about the high content of alcohol in the product, which stripped other protectants, and was potentially dulling the interior finishes. At the time, I was amazed to learn it was the only product of its kind, so I set out to create a superior product for my Sonus product line.

Now, twenty-four years after Meguiar’s introduced Quik Detailer, they mainstream the idea of an interior mist and wipe. Their new product is called Quik Interior Detailer. It is my understanding that several other national brands are also rushing to satisfy this new market.

Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer (left) lightly cleans and protects all interior metal, glass, plastic, rubber, vinyl and leather surfaces. Sonus Cockpit Detailer (right) offers a perfectly matte finish and superior UV protection to prevent fading and damage from extended exposure.
You can quick-detail your interior with a detailing spray or a bucket of fresh water. It's your choice.
To use an interior detailing spray, fold your microfiber detailing towel, spray it with a few shots of detailing spray, and wipe down the dashboard, console, seats (don't use a detailing spray on cloth seats), door panels and door jambs. Use the interior detailing spray more for dusting than cleaning. It's not necessary to wet the interior surfaces with the spray.
If you're not using an interior detailing spray, fill your bucket with water. Rinse your microfiber detailing towel thoroughly and wring out as much water as possible. Fold the towel in half, then in half again. Use your damp microfiber towel to wipe down the interior. The microfiber towel will quickly remove all dust and fingerprints from your dash and console.
The interior windows will need a quick wipe-down every few days, too. Rinse the microfiber towel, wring until damp, and wipe down the interior glass. Follow immediately with a dry microfiber detailing towel.

Sonus and Meguiar's interior spray and wipe detailers are an excellent solution for modern interiors with complex metal, paint, plastic, vinyl and leather finishes. They work well on navigation and other electronic displays and controls, too. The anti-static formula reduces dust and the matte finish reduces glare.
Like their exterior counterparts, interior mist and wipes are designed for fast results on interior finishes that need just a little touch-up to otherwise look perfect. The Meguiar’s formula is unique in that it works equally well on glass, metal, vinyl, plastic and leather. Quick Interior Detailer offers light cleaning and protection. The final finish is matte or satin, depending on the interior and your use of other protectants. Superior performance on glass will make this product a hit with anyone who wants to spray