Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Leather Conditioner for Jaguar XF 2011 SC

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather Conditioner for Jaguar XF 2011 SC

So I feel like my Leather Seats are showing wear and I want to know what Leather cleaner and leather conditioner you would recommend. I have a Black exterior with brown seats. Really appreciate your advice on what to get, how to apply it, and how often. Thanks!

Old 09-22-2012, 11:24 PM
XJL
Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts

I purchased Sonus Leather Cleaner and Sonus Leather Conditioner over a year ago after researching the best leather care products. I am very happy with both. I clean and treat the leather every 6 months.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:12 AM
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Didn't your Jag come with a small bottle of leather conditioner? I have been using that about once every other month

Old 09-23-2012, 09:10 AM
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I use Zaino leather in a bottle. Brings back that new leather smell and adds uv protection. Use it on my motorcycle and car. Works great! www.zainostore.com

Old 09-24-2012, 10:21 PM
XJL
Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by bracester
I use Zaino leather in a bottle. Brings back that new leather smell and adds uv protection. Use it on my motorcycle and car. Works great! www.zainostore.com

Do you also use other Zaino products, in particular thier waxes? If so, what is your opinion?

Old 10-08-2012, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,201 Likes on 932 Posts

I use Connolly's hide food. It's British and long recommended by Jaguar, Rolls, Aston, etc... Easy to use, smells nice and does the job. Kind of pricey though.... :-(

Old 11-15-2012, 02:19 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Zaino products are very good but i would personally opt for gliptone all the time everytime, their cleaner is very gentle but very powerful, quite scary really and their leather conditioner and waterproofer is a very very good product which has the added benefit of smelling like new leather.

Darren

Old 11-16-2012, 07:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink 2007 xj vdp

I recommend Gliptone Products. I personally have used their cleaner and conditioner and I am very happy with the results. I actually purchase the product direct from England since I was able to ask a UK vendor many questions about the product and in turn decided to purchased the product from him since he took time to discuss the product in detail. You can find the product in the US also. Given I am in Florida, I apply the product every 3 months sometime more often. It goes on easy and my leather looks great.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I use Connolly's hide food. It's British and long recommended by Jaguar, Rolls, Aston, etc... Easy to use, smells nice and does the job. Kind of pricey though.... :-(

I just bought the Connolly's cleaner and conditioner kit. My car is a new 2011 XF. I was wondering if the Connolly's products have any immediate or long term negative affects on leather stitching?

Old 03-18-2013, 03:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Zaino is the way to go

Used Zaino leather conditioner on my interior and not only does it look great, but it has a distinct old world leather smell to the interior of my ride.

Easy on and easy off.

Love this stuff.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
I just bought the Connolly's cleaner and conditioner kit. My car is a new 2011 XF. I was wondering if the Connolly's products have any immediate or long term negative affects on leather stitching?
From what i have read, the hide food is not recommended on the leather in the new Jaguars.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by Executive
From what i have read, the hide food is not recommended on the leather in the new Jaguars.

Where did you read that? My dealer displays it in their showroom as a for sale item.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:42 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

I've always use this stuff on all my leather surfaces in the car(s)..No problems with cracking or dirt imbedding..

Attached Thumbnails Leather Conditioner for Jaguar XF 2011 SC-0031209000205_500x500.jpg  
Old 05-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaguny
Where did you read that? My dealer displays it in their showroom as a for sale item.
I will have to see if i can find the link. My dealer doesn't have the hide food - just the cleaners with the green label on them.

Recently picked up a Autoglym leather conditioner though the local Bentley that is specifically made for Bentley.

It doesn't leave the surface shiny(can't stand the shine), which is why i bought it.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

Good read on maintaining the leather.

In 1980 the US Government began to get involved with the paint process used by auto makers, namely the volatile organic compounds (VOC) content of the petroleum based paints and solvents being used. The allowable emission limits of VOC were subjected to dramatic cutbacks.

In order to comply with these regulations the finishes now used for US, Asian and European automotive leather upholstery have a water-based pigmented finish to produce a uniform colour and are protected with a urethane covering. Modern automotive leather upholstery is classified as finished leather, which means that the surface has a urethane covering that cannot absorb wax, lanolin or oil-based 'conditioners'.

Three Step Care

All finishes have to allow '(evaporation and hydration) ' - the flow of moisture back and forth, the important considerations for proper leather care; is as much about (a) the state / condition of the leather you are dealing with (b) methodology used (c) product. Cleaning is a combination of all these

(a) Clean - as dirt / grit and subsequent friction cause the finish to wear.

(b) Hydrated - use water-based products that do not contain oils and/or waxes, check the label if they do then don't use them. Clean surfaces with a damp towel.

(c) Protected - is essential as it will protect the surface finish and makes dirt easier to clean off and an ultra violet protective product (UVR) will preserve the finish.

Leather is very dynamic with respect to its moisture content; the leather hides needs to be kept supple.The purpose of rehydration is to restore moisture lost through evaporation, so whatever the surface finish, it has to allow the movement of moisture back and forth (evaporation and hydration). So the use of water- based cleaners and protectors will maintain hydration, which is essential to keeping it in pristine condition.

For many, finding the best leather care product is as simple as using what is the most popular. While popularity can sometimes be a reliable barometer, it isn’t always the correct choice. Some even make their decision based on new car’s leather fragrance alone. My best advise; research other options and products, test them and then make an objective decision based upon factual information, not hype or brand loyalty.

After all, how can you fully understand and properly use any product unless you have all the facts? I would also strongly suggest that you verify any information that I or anyone else shares with you. Remember you are dealing with a thin water-based pigment layer on the leather and not with the leather hide itself.

From:http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/d...n-leather.html

Old 06-27-2013, 12:33 PM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Executive
Good read on maintaining the leather.

In 1980 the US Government began to get involved with the paint process used by auto makers, namely the volatile organic compounds (VOC) content of the petroleum based paints and solvents being used. The allowable emission limits of VOC were subjected to dramatic cutbacks.

In order to comply with these regulations the finishes now used for US, Asian and European automotive leather upholstery have a water-based pigmented finish to produce a uniform colour and are protected with a urethane covering. Modern automotive leather upholstery is classified as finished leather, which means that the surface has a urethane covering that cannot absorb wax, lanolin or oil-based 'conditioners'.

Three Step Care

All finishes have to allow '(evaporation and hydration) ' - the flow of moisture back and forth, the important considerations for proper leather care; is as much about (a) the state / condition of the leather you are dealing with (b) methodology used (c) product. Cleaning is a combination of all these

(a) Clean - as dirt / grit and subsequent friction cause the finish to wear.

(b) Hydrated - use water-based products that do not contain oils and/or waxes, check the label if they do then don't use them. Clean surfaces with a damp towel.

(c) Protected - is essential as it will protect the surface finish and makes dirt easier to clean off and an ultra violet protective product (UVR) will preserve the finish.

Leather is very dynamic with respect to its moisture content; the leather hides needs to be kept supple.The purpose of rehydration is to restore moisture lost through evaporation, so whatever the surface finish, it has to allow the movement of moisture back and forth (evaporation and hydration). So the use of water- based cleaners and protectors will maintain hydration, which is essential to keeping it in pristine condition.

For many, finding the best leather care product is as simple as using what is the most popular. While popularity can sometimes be a reliable barometer, it isn’t always the correct choice. Some even make their decision based on new car’s leather fragrance alone. My best advise; research other options and products, test them and then make an objective decision based upon factual information, not hype or brand loyalty.

After all, how can you fully understand and properly use any product unless you have all the facts? I would also strongly suggest that you verify any information that I or anyone else shares with you. Remember you are dealing with a thin water-based pigment layer on the leather and not with the leather hide itself.

I couldn't have said it better myself...Oh! wait...

The following users liked this post:
Gecko8 (09-19-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 12:39 PM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Leather doesn't require a conditioner unless you have unfinished leather (pre 1980's) Cleaning and / or conditioning will NOT repair worn seating surfaces

TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki Article - “What exactly is ‘Finished leather’? “ - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...ml#post1543457

TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki Articles (Leather) – http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...yperlinks.html