Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Meguiars Ultimate compound Test/Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 12:22 PM
Received 153 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Meguiars Ultimate compound Test/Review

First, just want to say I am a big fan of Meguiars products.

My wife's Lincoln MKZ was really needing a good paint correction and wax. Unfortunately with three other vehicles to keep up with the Lincoln was in need of a serious face lift. I tried some swirl remover in a test area and it just wasn't cutting it (no pun intended). Had a lot of light scratches and swirl marks a plenty so I knew compounding was needed. Have heard a lot of good things about Meguiars Ultimate Compound and for the price (under $20) I figured I would give it a try.

Used an Orange pad with my Porter Cable DA machine. I found it was pretty easy to work with and did not create a lot of dust. After doing a section I spritzed some water on it and wiped it off with a microfiber cloth. Easy enough.

How it worked: Honestly I expected more from the product. A good number of the light scratches and many of the swirl marks were still there. Were they better, Yes, but I really expected better results for the effort put in.

Would I use it/buy it again? Have to say no, there are much better products out there.

Think I'll stay with Wolfgangs products. I've used their Swirl remover and glaze and they're top notch. Think next time I have to tackle compounding again it will be with Wolfgangs Uber Compound.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for your recommendation. I was looking for a scratch remover and was reading this article, https://www.toolazine.com/best-way-t...inted-vehicle/ thinking to buy Turtle wax for under $20.

Old 02-28-2021, 04:38 PM
Received 131 Likes on 77 Posts

I've use it in the past to remove 1500grit sanding marks. For a consumer / retail grade product and it works as expected. The ultimate compound is not a professional grade product but its good enough for the DIY.
I did use a Rupes clone DA polisher with a 15mm throw which has abit more power than the Porter cable DA. I suppose it depends on the hardness of the paint.
I find Jaguar paint to be quite soft compare to BMW and Merc.

Last edited by XKRAU; 02-28-2021 at 04:42 PM.