Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Polymer vs carnauba

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Polymer vs carnauba

I had my car detailed last week to deal with damage caused by the previous owners use of carwashes. Anyway, the detail shop was doing a swirl remover, polish and finally carnauba wax or (for an extra $20) polymer wax. I had never used it and thought it would be interesting to see if it made a difference. And it did. The paint actually looked wet when they were through. Has anybody here got an opinion on polymer vs carnauba?

Old 10-23-2017, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by chazaroo
I had my car detailed last week to deal with damage caused by the previous owners use of carwashes. Anyway, the detail shop was doing a swirl remover, polish and finally carnauba wax or (for an extra $20) polymer wax. I had never used it and thought it would be interesting to see if it made a difference. And it did. The paint actually looked wet when they were through. Has anybody here got an opinion on polymer vs carnauba?
Since you have a dark car, I bet if they did half the hood carnuba, you would notice the carnuba side has a deeper shine than the polymer side. That said, I've been using polymer for about 5 years now, mainly because it's easier to apply and lasts longer than Carnuba (I do my own detailing so time and effort are important to me). Since I have light colored vehicles, there is no noticeable difference that I can tell.

It's odd that the polymer service cost more since polymer sealants are usually a little cheaper than wax and a lot easier to apply. I wonder what they used that cost more....

Either way, you're happy with the results, it seems.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (10-26-2017)
Old 10-31-2017, 05:33 PM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I would agree with comments in both posts ... On dark paint carnuba gives a deeper shine, however, the polymer does give a long lasting wet look, which interestingly is exactly how the detailer I used said it would look ...