Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Waxing question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 04:44 PM
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Waxing question?

I just clay barred my jag, after twice waxing it with Mothers Calif. Gold Carnauba Cleaner Wax. The paint was really nice to begin with [ I've owned the car since July. My question is about cleaner wax. Is it more abrasive than regular wax and after the clay bar, which is somewhat abrasive, should I switch to a gentler wax from now on?.....What do you think?.....Mick Oh and who makes a milder wax?

Old 09-28-2011, 03:12 AM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by mick99
I just clay barred my jag, after twice waxing it with Mothers Calif. Gold Carnauba Cleaner Wax. The paint was really nice to begin with [ I've owned the car since July. My question is about cleaner wax. Is it more abrasive than regular wax and after the clay bar, which is somewhat abrasive, should I switch to a gentler wax from now on?.....What do you think?.....Mick Oh and who makes a milder wax?
To answer your question....cleaner wax is definitely more abrasive than just regular wax. Once you have completed your clay step, then move up to a cleaner polish such as Meguiars M205 then follow up with a premium wax or sealant for the best results....Both Meguiars and Mothers produce some fine waxes....Meguiars Gold Class Carnuba Plus or Mothers Reflections

Old 09-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey David......Thanks for your reply!.....I am confused however, about using cleaner polish before waxing it. Am I correct in thinking I've been using too many abrasives. If so, isn't polish another cleaner? Straighten me out if you will, as I'm probably not understanding how this works? My paint job was already nice before I started and I don't want to be taking clear coat off by doing too much........Mick

Old 09-30-2011, 01:17 PM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by mick99
Hey David......Thanks for your reply!.....I am confused however, about using cleaner polish before waxing it. Am I correct in thinking I've been using too many abrasives. If so, isn't polish another cleaner? Straighten me out if you will, as I'm probably not understanding how this works? My paint job was already nice before I started and I don't want to be taking clear coat off by doing too much........Mick
Mick, your extremely welcome.......

There are definitely different polishes out there, from pure polishes to cleaner polishes....just to give you an example

Meguiar's #7 - Show Car Glaze - Pure for show car deep results

Meguiar's #205 - Ultra Finishing Polish - Micro abrasive polish

I will elaborate a bit more on the subject later!