Diesel variants - All models Visit here for discussions on diesel powerplants and the impressive torque / mpg figures achievable....

2.7D DTC Error Codes

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 05:29 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts
Question 2.7D DTC Error Codes

Hey,

Can anyone help with some DTC's on a 2.7D ?

My pal Thomas has a 2004 S-Type 2.7D, it's in good shape even with 225'000 miles on the clock. It's got a problem somewhere in the fuel system, running rough with yellow engine warning light on.

We pulled two codes, P121A & P029E. These aren't listed as Jag DTC's, but I found them in a list from Ford.

P121A Cylinder Balance Injector Restricted
P029E Cylinder #2 Fuel Trim at Max Limit

So that would mean the injector on Cyl #2 is bad?
It had been to a dealer who wanted to replace all six injectors, & lift the heads to service the valves(?) and obviously they wanted big money for it. Given the age & mileage of the car, a cheaper solution is needed.

I've got zero experience with Diesels...but from the description of the codes, would low compression or a leak past the exhaust valve be likely?

Fuel Trim at Max Limit means it's pumping in too much fuel to compensate for something?

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

does engine have any blowby or smoke out of oil fill cap?

if it puffs it has a low comp cylinder, and that could get expensive.

if it has a continuous flow of light smoke out cap opening, that would be normal.

as you say, if comp is low on #2, then excess fuel injected,trying to compensate for a problem.

have you changed just #2 injector to see what happens, also check injector pulse at wire harness.

Ron

Old 07-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Thanks Ron,

We believe the previous owner changed the #2 injector without re-coding it to the ECM...but can't be 100% sure...(found information on another forum that replacement injectors need to be coded or calibrated, you can't just swap them out)...they said an injector was changed, but nothing about the re-coding...

It's an intermittent problem, which makes it even more confusing, 3 times in a week, nothing for 6 months, back again all of a sudden, & after clearing the codes, nothing, running sweet...

I asked Thomas about blowby out of the oil-filler, he says no puffing.

The car is a bit smoky if you've been driving around town & give it a bootfull, but after it's "cleared out" it's fine. Doesn't use any oil either...

Old 07-14-2011, 12:43 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Being an old diesel-head, the first thing I'd do is to remove all the injectors and have them professionally cleaned by a 'shop with ultrasonic facilities and is known to be competent. Make sure each individual injector goes back to its own original cylinder -- as you say, injectors can have three different suffixes and the micro needs to be calibrated to that partic. suffix. (So long as you don't ask me how!)
Then a 400ml. bottle of Forte diesel conditioner treatment in the tank would be my next thing, around £14 at retail accessory shops, or around £6 plus postage from E-bay. Anything else seems to be a waste of money from my experience.
Yes, clogged injectors CAN be intermittent in my experience. A diesel Renault Megane I had was exactly that way.
Remember these injectors are piezoelectric type. Good for high-mileage, but 225,000 is pushing it a bit. Theoretically, piezoelectric injectors shouldn't wear, unlike solenoid types which have a moving part. But we all know what "theoretical" means in practice!
Let us know what's what when you've sorted it.
Leedsman.