Diesel variants - All models Visit here for discussions on diesel powerplants and the impressive torque / mpg figures achievable....

Jaguar XE2017 2.0d 241hp crank no start ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 08:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jaguar XE2017 2.0d 241hp crank no start ??

Hi guys,new to this forum,i have an issue regarding my 2017 jaguar xe 2.0diesel 241hp,i did a complete engine overhaul,did everything by the book(i do have experience in this)and the car fired right up and everything was well,drove it abou 2km and everything seemed fine.Three day later i hop in the car to get it registered and pass inspection,after about 300 meters the car losses power,i managed to pull on the side and the car st itself.It cranked like crazy but didnt want to start,so the battery got weak after alot of cranking and i went to get a new one,after putting it in the car barely started and ran badly,almost like the injectors were bad(they are all new and programmed correctly),and eventually it stopped working.Managed to get it started one more time and it showed on the screen Reduced Power,and eventually shut down again.I put a OBD diagnostic tool on it(ThinkDiag)and this is what im getting:
P06A6-1C(Sensor Reference Voltage A/Circuit Voltage put of range)
P0642-00(Sensor Reference Voltage A/Circuit Low
P0658-00(Actuator Supply oltage A/Circuit Low
P0405-16(Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor A/Circuit Low Input
P26D4-16(Engine coolant pump supply Voltage circuit Low
P0107-16(Manifolds Absolute Pressure/Barometric sensor Low
P2009-16(Intake Manifold Runner Control Circuit Low(Bank 1
I have since changed the Crankshaft Position Sensor,and no luck…
Any suggestions?

Old 05-07-2024, 04:30 PM
Received 232 Likes on 177 Posts

All codes are result of low voltage when you run battery down by cranking.
To start direct injection diesel all it needs is compression and fine spray of fuel. Glows are needed on low temp only.
Because you just done overhaul i would start checking that timing have not moved. (if i remember right, the crankshaft sproket dont have key and if the bolt have get lose...)
When i will be sure its safe to turn engine, without bending any valves, i would measure an rail pressure. (don´t trust the pressure sensor, if its failed it will give false values) No rail pressure: Issue on fuel system. Note: New injectors can fail as well or dirt have been went to the fuel pipes during overhaul and now ended on injectors?. You can try to mount old ones back for test.
Then compression test by removing glows: No compession: head issues or piston rings?

Old 05-07-2024, 05:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixed!!!

Originally Posted by Vasara
All codes are result of low voltage when you run battery down by cranking.
To start direct injection diesel all it needs is compression and fine spray of fuel. Glows are needed on low temp only.
Because you just done overhaul i would start checking that timing have not moved. (if i remember right, the crankshaft sproket dont have key and if the bolt have get lose...)
When i will be sure its safe to turn engine, without bending any valves, i would measure an rail pressure. (don´t trust the pressure sensor, if its failed it will give false values) No rail pressure: Issue on fuel system. Note: New injectors can fail as well or dirt have been went to the fuel pipes during overhaul and now ended on injectors?. You can try to mount old ones back for test.
Then compression test by removing glows: No compession: head issues or piston rings?

Thank you for the replay’s,very good and helpful points,but the problem was with the water pump harness,it was ripped and cut from not being seated properly and the crankpulley did the damage to the can-bus wires,soldier the wires back and everything works perfectly!!!
First mistake after a rebuilt ever…

The following users liked this post:
Vasara (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 01:32 PM
Received 232 Likes on 177 Posts

Thanks for updating!
Very good that you found the issue and it was easy fix comparing many other possibilitys. Rather that than moved timing...
More you do, more possibility for errors. You start to think: Yea, done this for million times... And then your tyres fly off in first corner of the race (happened twice for me )
Enjoy your Jag.