Diesel variants - All models Visit here for discussions on diesel powerplants and the impressive torque / mpg figures achievable....

XE 20d 50k DPF Full Visit Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 08:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XE 20d 50k DPF Full Visit Dealer

2017 XE 20d owner here. I am the only owner.

At 47,500 miles I went directly to the RED: Exhaust Filter Full Warning. No AMBER warning as suggested in the manual.

I took the advice of a local mechanic and drove for 40 minutes on a highway at a decent clip, about 60-75mph. The warning persisted after a restart, suggesting that the recharge process will not kick off on its own/manual cleaning is required. Or potentially a problem with the sensors. The car is also currently in "limp mode", while it drives, it accelerates at a very low pace - similar to the eco setting but a bit slower.

I don't drive this car often anymore as I work from home now (since pre-Covid) but when I do, I am doing 3h round-trips from Massachusetts to New Hampshire. Every once in a while I will take it around town, jumping on the highway to get to the major part of my city, first getting it up to 60-75mph briefly (~10m).

My last round trip to NH was May 8th, the warning came on May 28th, my last fueling and DEF top off was March 20th.

I called Jaguar North America and they said "Emissions" are covered until 2024/2025 (state/fed) but could not tell me if my DPF filter was specifically covered, and said my local dealership will let me know what is covered.

I am hoping to go to the service center armed with some historical information from this community. The service center at my local dealership has never been one that I trust - they once tried charging me 1400$ for four brake pads because they have "a special tool" to remove the calipers. I had the brakes done by the previously mentioned mechanic for ~ $300.

I am really nervous to have a problem like this so early, and really nervous that I have to trust the dealership to tell me what is wrong.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, as always, thank you in advance.

Last edited by steelbane; 06-27-2022 at 04:21 PM. Reason: DPF to "Exhaust Filter" for accuracy of system warning
Old 06-27-2022, 01:01 PM
Default Oxygen & Temp Sensors

I had the vehicle above looked at by the dealership I purchased the vehicle from.

Oxygen Sensor and Temperature Sensors are faulty. The car is under 50k miles, but the dealership says the sensors are not covered under the Emissions warranty. I called three different dealers to confirm this.

What really set me off is that the dealership estimated $2,100 in repairs. When looking up the cost of the sensors, the total is under $750 in parts, leaving ~$1,350 in labor to remove the old sensors and put the new sensors in place. They also charged me $170 to plug it into the diagnostic computer and tell me it was the sensors (~10m of labor). When I asked for the diagnostic print out, they said they do not give them out to the customers.

I am working on getting a second opinion.

Any information on replacing these sensors would be helpful. Is this a DIY job or is this a risky job best left to the professionals.

I am also currently looking for a tool that will help me understand what is covered by the emissions warranty to make sure that this dealership isn't just flat out lying.

TYIA

Old 06-27-2022, 04:20 PM

I have now done a bit of research through the manuals that came with the car, online resources, etc. I've spoken with Jaguar North America again, and I feel confident that under the federal emissions warranty here in the US, this will be covered.

I spoke to the dealership again to understand what their reasoning was related to it not being covered under warranty. Simply put, my service advisor said that "these are normally covered for gasoline engines, but yours is diesel and it is not covered."

We exchanged email address' and I let them know they would be receiving detailed information on the warranty. Hopefully they will reconsider.

In summary, here is what the warranty states in Passport to Service Handbook received with my vehicle:

Federal Emission Design and Defect Warranty
- Extended to 5 years / 60,000 miles (whichever occurs first) under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty Bumper-to-Bumper coverage.

Exhaust System (including Diesel Selective Catalyst Reduction [SCR] System)
Catalytic Converter 1,3
EGR Cooler and Valve Housing Assembly
Exhaust Manifold
Exhaust Pipe (Manifold to Catalyst)
SCR Catalyst 1
SCR Heater Control Unit
SC Injector
SCR Oxidation Catalyst I
SCR Particulate Filter $
SCR Pump
SCR Tank
SCR Tank Filler Hose
SCR Tank Interior Module

If anyone smarter than me can explain which of these components the Oxygen and Temperature sensors belong to, that would be appreciated. They specifically said "bank one and bank three were faulty."

Images from the handbook attached:

Old 06-28-2022, 01:19 PM

I've just heard back from the dealership who is sticking to their guns that the parts aren't individually listed and therefor not covered under warranty.

The two sensors that are faulty are listed under emissions components on the Jaguar parts catalog.

Calling Jaguar North America again today confirmed that they have no ability to review the case any further than I already have. They made it clear that they are not a governing body over a dealership or technicians, and they cannot explain what is and is not covered by the warranty.

The representative from Jaguar North America literally said to "review my hand book" and when I confirmed that's what I'm reading from, their response was "take that down and I'd hope they would honor it." When I explained they weren't honoring it she said that there was nothing that she could do.

The dealership has offered me, in good faith, a parts only replacement of the sensors since my last update. From $2100 to $420 overnight.

I've decided to end the aggravation and buy the sensors outright and bring them to my mechanic for replacement.

Buyer beware - you're on your own with your Jaguar, and at the mercy of whatever the dealership tells you is the truth regardless of what evidence you present.