E-Pace 2018 - Onwards
View Poll Results: Considering my posted situation & concerns, would you advise making this purchase?
Yes
85.71%
No
14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

2021 E-Pace 300 Sport Reliability Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 10:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2021 E-Pace 300 Sport Reliability Issues?

Hello!

I apologise, in advance, as I am pretty confident those of you that are Jaguar enthusiasts are probably sick and tired of hearing people ask about Jaguar's less than stellar reputation for putting out quality vehicles.

Admittedly I have never driven a Jaguar. I love the looks and specs of the 2021 E-Pace 300 Sport, and have it on my short list of vehicles to consider but I am honestly afraid the cost of ownership will end up being quite high and if other posts are correct, without use of the vehicle for long periods while it is being repaired. I know about the standard 5 year/60k warranty and am not sure if I am prepared for what comes after that.

I would really appreciate honest feedback from E-Pace owners about thier experience with the vehicle, both pros and cons and please include the year and trim of your vehicle,...maybe even how many miles you have on it.

I don't have the luxury of much disposable income and this purchase would represent a bit of a stretch for me. I certainly can get much mileage and not have to use premium gas in another choice, but really would love to enjoy the driving experience I am anticipating with this vehicle, but it's not worth the aggravation and I can't afford the expenses if it doesn't hold up well.

I know the new CEO is promising an improvement in quality but not sure the 2021 models have it yet.

Thank you so much for your time and candor.

David

Old 07-08-2021, 09:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default E-Pace experience

Originally Posted by cup4sharks
Hello!

I apologise, in advance, as I am pretty confident those of you that are Jaguar enthusiasts are probably sick and tired of hearing people ask about Jaguar's less than stellar reputation for putting out quality vehicles.

Admittedly I have never driven a Jaguar. I love the looks and specs of the 2021 E-Pace 300 Sport, and have it on my short list of vehicles to consider but I am honestly afraid the cost of ownership will end up being quite high and if other posts are correct, without use of the vehicle for long periods while it is being repaired. I know about the standard 5 year/60k warranty and am not sure if I am prepared for what comes after that.

I would really appreciate honest feedback from E-Pace owners about thier experience with the vehicle, both pros and cons and please include the year and trim of your vehicle,...maybe even how many miles you have on it.

I don't have the luxury of much disposable income and this purchase would represent a bit of a stretch for me. I certainly can get much mileage and not have to use premium gas in another choice, but really would love to enjoy the driving experience I am anticipating with this vehicle, but it's not worth the aggravation and I can't afford the expenses if it doesn't hold up well.

I know the new CEO is promising an improvement in quality but not sure the 2021 models have it yet.

Thank you so much for your time and candor.

David
David,

I can only speak from my experience with my 2018 E-Pace 250 S. I purchased this car in 2019 and have 22K miles on it. I live in AZ, so the temperatures are hot, and it can be demanding on a car. I have owned Acura and BMW sport utilities as well as test drove Audi and Mercedes suv's, and this Jaguar is my favorite, The driving experience is, in my opinion, much more satisfying. The size is small, but perfect for me and my wife. I appreciate all the driver assistance features and accessories. I was lured into test driving the E=Pace based on its size and looks, but bought it for the driving experience.

Now to heart of your question. Should you spend $50k+ for a new one? From a reliability standpoint, my car has been fine. Small issues were fixed by the dealer (Penske) with no charge and on a timely basis. Courtesy loaner cars are available. I found my Jaguar to be as reliable as my other luxury cars that I have own in the past.

To me, the big question is: Where is the automotive market moving? Are electric cars/suv's the future? You have committed to $50k to a purchase and your universe of options is huge. Should you wait for an electric to meet your needs? If you plan to keep this vehicle a long time, wouldn't an electric reduce your cost of operation and depreciation? Many of us don't make completely rational decisions when car buying, including me. It is easier to tell someone else what they should do!

I wish the best with your decision. If you buy the E-Pace 300 S, you will have a great car and a rather rare one on the road. There are lot's of MB, BMW, and Audi suv's on the road, but not many Jaguars. I still get lots of people asking about my car when I go somewhere. Most appreciate the styling and the brand.

Hope this was helpful.

Last edited by Chocolate; 07-08-2021 at 09:45 AM. Reason: grammar
The following users liked this post:
cup4sharks (07-09-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 03:14 PM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Buy Japanese

If you’re asking the question, then no you’re not ready to buy a Jaguar, BMW or Audi. They require more regular maintenance especially after the warranty period. If you are mechanically inclined, some regular maintenance is pretty easy. I say this having owned various models of all three. If you ignore this advice, you will have an excellent vehicle that drives well in all conditions and is fun or so my wife tells me. 2018 epace 1st edition.

Old 07-09-2021, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Chocolate
David,

I can only speak from my experience with my 2018 E-Pace 250 S. I purchased this car in 2019 and have 22K miles on it. I live in AZ, so the temperatures are hot, and it can be demanding on a car. I have owned Acura and BMW sport utilities as well as test drove Audi and Mercedes suv's, and this Jaguar is my favorite, The driving experience is, in my opinion, much more satisfying. The size is small, but perfect for me and my wife. I appreciate all the driver assistance features and accessories. I was lured into test driving the E=Pace based on its size and looks, but bought it for the driving experience.

Now to heart of your question. Should you spend $50k+ for a new one? From a reliability standpoint, my car has been fine. Small issues were fixed by the dealer (Penske) with no charge and on a timely basis. Courtesy loaner cars are available. I found my Jaguar to be as reliable as my other luxury cars that I have own in the past.

To me, the big question is: Where is the automotive market moving? Are electric cars/suv's the future? You have committed to $50k to a purchase and your universe of options is huge. Should you wait for an electric to meet your needs? If you plan to keep this vehicle a long time, wouldn't an electric reduce your cost of operation and depreciation? Many of us don't make completely rational decisions when car buying, including me. It is easier to tell someone else what they should do!

I wish the best with your decision. If you buy the E-Pace 300 S, you will have a great car and a rather rare one on the road. There are lot's of MB, BMW, and Audi suv's on the road, but not many Jaguars. I still get lots of people asking about my car when I go somewhere. Most appreciate the styling and the brand.

Hope this was helpful.
Thank you so MUCH! That was incredibly helpful.

My opportunity to purchase for now fell through and while I was a bit depressed about it, all the while I was considering it if I was crazy to be investing this much money into a car that will likely be obsolete and virtually worthless when it comes time to sell it due to the changing landscape as it relates to electrification.

So, now that I am lusting after a Jaguar, the question is, do you know of any plans to bring PHEV versions to the US for the 2022 or 2023 MY of the E-Pace or F-Pace, like they already offer in Europe?

Also, I couldn't agree more about how wonderful Penske Dealerships are to work with, especially when compared to their inept, and uncaring competitors.

Thank you again!

Old 07-09-2021, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by dagny747
If you’re asking the question, then no you’re not ready to buy a Jaguar, BMW or Audi. They require more regular maintenance especially after the warranty period. If you are mechanically inclined, some regular maintenance is pretty easy. I say this having owned various models of all three. If you ignore this advice, you will have an excellent vehicle that drives well in all conditions and is fun or so my wife tells me. 2018 epace 1st edition.
Ha, THANK YOU! I really appreciate your sense of humor.

This is helpful. You hit the nail on the head about my concerns past their generous initial warranty period. I won't buy a Jaguar without a Warranty Extension in place exactly because of the point you raise. The vehicle I was writing about, which has since fallen through) was a very low mileage CPO, I felt some degree of confidence about my post initial warranty concerns.

Your user name intrigues me and perhaps you can offer some insights on another vehicle on my short list....the upcoming 2022 Lexus NX 450+h. I don't feel passionate about it like I do a Jaguar, however I think it would undoubtedly be a better investment both because it is a hybrid and because of how Lexus vehicles hold their value.. But I was hoping to.really enjoy to get a vehicle that will be fun to drive this next go around and not sure that particular Lexus will have it.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this AND if you have any knowledge about if/when Jaguar E-Pace or F-Pace will have PHEV versions in the US.

P.S.:. The Genesis GV70 is also on my short list and wonder if you think it is a better choice than Jaguar, should I go for an ICE and not want for a PHEV.

Thank you again!

Last edited by cup4sharks; 07-09-2021 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-10-2021, 04:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 895 Posts

Gooday, I dont have a mechanical bone in my body, but I have had a remarkable run with my Jags.

2008 XF V8 - admittedly a lot of issues as it was rushed into the market. After 2 years they were ironed out and it was perfect, I held it until 4 1/2 years;
2012 XF 5.0 V8 - no issues (actually a slight thump in the fuel tank when stopping, they put a baffle in to stop it). Only had it a year;
2011 XKR - bought it with 40,000km on clock at 2 1/2 years old and held it for 2 years and 20,000km. Had a warranty fix on a headlamp module, otherwise perfect;
2015 XE 25T - a couple of conquests dealt with (infotainment from memory), no dramas, lovely car, had it 4 years;
2016 F Type - had it 5 years plus, perfect car, no dramas. Had a bearing go (probably because they forgot to tighten wheel nuts in a service and I drove it like that for a few weeks) and a couple of things picked up in services and dealt with under warranty;
2019 (2020 model) XE p300 - no issues. They picked up a leak in its first service and fixed it.

I drive the e Pace a bit as a loaner when I have the Jags in. Nice cars, the steering is superb. Personally I prefer the XE for handling and ride but I'm a bit of a dinosaur.

I think most of Jags issues come from infotainment complaints and diesels. The infotainment is decent, not spectacular (dont know about the Pivy Pro).

Old 07-10-2021, 09:34 AM
Default PHEV's are Kludgy

IMHO I would go either ICE or electric with ICE my preference. Why have two different propulsion systems, what could possibly go wrong? If you buy with warranty ok, but the same level of performance can be achieved with either technology separately. I won't pretend to know a lot about Lexus as its of not much interest to me. What I know about Genisis in general is that its run by former BMW, Audi, VW and Bentley executives and designers. They are establishing a luxury/performance brand with high level service and much better funding and support than Jaguar Land Rover. I wouldn't buy a PHEV and certainly not from Jaguar. If you are truly into performance I would buy an ICE powered AWD car. Yes I'm aware of the electric performance of Tesla, Porsche Taycan and the Ford Lightning:-) Go out and test drive, have some fun looking............

Old 07-10-2021, 04:24 PM

IMHO I would go either ICE or electric with ICE my preference. Why have two different propulsion systems, what could possibly go wrong? If you buy with warranty ok, but the same level of performance can be achieved with either technology separately. I won't pretend to know a lot about Lexus as its of not much interest to me. What I know about Genisis in general is that its run by former BMW, Audi, VW and Bentley executives and designers. They are establishing a luxury/performance brand with high level service and much better funding and support than Jaguar Land Rover. I wouldn't buy a PHEV and certainly not from Jaguar. If you are truly into performance I would buy an ICE powered AWD car. Yes I'm aware of the electric performance of Tesla, Porsche Taycan and the Ford Lightning:-) Go out and test drive, have some fun looking............
Thank you! Would you hesitate to buy an ICE from Jaguar today? Do you think it will have reasonable re-sell value 6 years from now or will the demand for electric vehicles dry up the market for ICE vehicles? I appreciate your time and opinions.

Old 07-10-2021, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Gooday, I dont have a mechanical bone in my body, but I have had a remarkable run with my Jags.

2008 XF V8 - admittedly a lot of issues as it was rushed into the market. After 2 years they were ironed out and it was perfect, I held it until 4 1/2 years;
2012 XF 5.0 V8 - no issues (actually a slight thump in the fuel tank when stopping, they put a baffle in to stop it). Only had it a year;
2011 XKR - bought it with 40,000km on clock at 2 1/2 years old and held it for 2 years and 20,000km. Had a warranty fix on a headlamp module, otherwise perfect;
2015 XE 25T - a couple of conquests dealt with (infotainment from memory), no dramas, lovely car, had it 4 years;
2016 F Type - had it 5 years plus, perfect car, no dramas. Had a bearing go (probably because they forgot to tighten wheel nuts in a service and I drove it like that for a few weeks) and a couple of things picked up in services and dealt with under warranty;
2019 (2020 model) XE p300 - no issues. They picked up a leak in its first service and fixed it.

I drive the e Pace a bit as a loaner when I have the Jags in. Nice cars, the steering is superb. Personally I prefer the XE for handling and ride but I'm a bit of a dinosaur.

I think most of Jags issues come from infotainment complaints and diesels. The infotainment is decent, not spectacular (dont know about the Pivy Pro).
Thank you! Great to hear about your positive experience with Jaguar.

Old 07-11-2021, 12:37 PM

I don't believe the market for ICE vehicles will ever go away. It may become smaller as charging becomes faster and more available, batteries become more efficient. I have no idea about resale although I suspect Jaguar being a niche brand will not retain high resale except for certain models. I don't believe the EPace will be particularly desirable in ten years, but what do I know, I let my 1976 FJ40 go when I didn't have time for repairs. Remember most vehicles are not investments, (FJ40 not withstanding) they depreciate as soon as you drive them off the lot. Do you have fun driving or do you view it as a way to go point A to B? That will dictate what you buy....

Old 07-11-2021, 04:42 PM
Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't believe the EPace will be particularly desirable in ten years,
I don't agree on that point. It all depends on how reliability pans out. The e-pace is an extremely desirable car now, except no one knows about it. There are barely anyone around. people think "oh yeah, jaguar, i think I've heard of them." Their marketing department needs to get off their asses and put up some billboards with a leaper and write under it "Jaguar: We're still here, we cover all your maintenance for the first 5 years, and we're cheaper than bmw".

Old 07-14-2021, 10:21 AM
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Thank you! Would you hesitate to buy an ICE from Jaguar today? Do you think it will have reasonable re-sell value 6 years from now or will the demand for electric vehicles dry up the market for ICE vehicles? I appreciate your time and opinions.
I think, if anything, ICE powered vehicles will appreciate in value as they get rarer due to EVs taking over. In the UK at least this trend will be exacerbated by the Government's proposed ban on any ICE powered car being sold from 2030 onwards. EVs will, I think, still have range limitations even by 2030, so an existing ICE powered car which can still be used after the 2030 deadline will be somewhat sought after.
I personally have my doubts about whether the UK's electricity generation and distribution grid will be able to cope with predominately EVs by 2030, so the Government may be forced to postpone the 2030 deadline. However, because the 2030 ban has now been announced, car manufacturers will not be planning and development of new ICE powered cars from now on - this making decent older ICE powered cars even more desirable.

Old 07-15-2021, 11:27 AM

Think about it on the other side. How much is the re-sale value of an EV in 6 years? When they may need expensive batteries replaced? Most people don't buy new vehicles. Think about the 20something's or teenagers for their first cars with 150k+ miles. Will they be able to to afford huge repair costs? Will they want to take the risk of new technology which is now dated, vs ICE engines which have a long track record of running 250k+ miles. Sure the EV companies make claims about lots of miles, but they don't have the history of it. The EV's have less to go wrong, but most ICE issues are well known and fairly cheap to repair. If something on an EV goes wrong, $$$$.

I know a lot of people with EV's or hybrids. They just trade them in when they're done with them. It's still very young technology. It hasn't been long enough for them to get old.

Old 07-15-2021, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by chrisjp
I think, if anything, ICE powered vehicles will appreciate in value as they get rarer due to EVs taking over. In the UK at least this trend will be exacerbated by the Government's proposed ban on any ICE powered car being sold from 2030 onwards. EVs will, I think, still have range limitations even by 2030, so an existing ICE powered car which can still be used after the 2030 deadline will be somewhat sought after.
I personally have my doubts about whether the UK's electricity generation and distribution grid will be able to cope with predominately EVs by 2030, so the Government may be forced to postpone the 2030 deadline. However, because the 2030 ban has now been announced, car manufacturers will not be planning and development of new ICE powered cars from now on - this making decent older ICE powered cars even more desirable.
There are a couple countries who are saying that. But I think they're going to be back pedaling as it approaches. We're not there yet. and we won't be there in 2030 either. And we may never be there.

Old 08-03-2021, 03:02 PM
Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

My wife and I currently own five late model Jags: 2016 XF 35t Prestige AWD; 2017 XE 35t Prestige AWD; 2018 F-Type R-Dynamic AWD coupe; 2018 F-PACE S; and 2018 E-PACE R-Dynamic P300 SE. All of our vehicles, except the E-PACE, have the 3.0 liter supercharged V6. I love the engine in both the 340 hp and 380 hp version. I’m not so fond of the turbo I4…any turbo I4. Having owned a total of seven late model Jags, we are obviously pleased with the brand and the models we’ve purchased. With the exception of a few early but minor nits, we’ve had no issue. All provide a degree of comfort and handing that isn’t available in similarly priced vehicles. Lexus provides equal long distance comfort but pales where handling and performance are concerned. The Audis, Bimmers, Caddy, and Toyota Supra had good or gray street handling but not the comfort of the Jags. Although I consider all our Jags to be needlessly overweight only in the E-PACE is it really felt. We can get 30 mpg on the highways between New Hampshire and Texas but it is a struggle under the best of circumstances. My two biggest gripes are the excessive weight and my personal dislike for any turbo I4.

Old 08-05-2021, 10:37 AM

Adding another satisfied E-Pace owner data point. Bought 2018 250S from dealer Mar 2021. Had 5K miles (back from lease) and dealer added 6th year of warranty. So far (now 12K miles) we are VERY PLEASED with performance/reliability/comfort and hoping car will continue to excel and where challenges come up, my dealer will fix as needed. We found it pretty cool that our 2018 was able to get new features (Android and IPhone) via software updates. All good!

Old 08-12-2021, 10:09 AM

Smart purchase…buying a used E-Pace with low miles. You have the extended warranty and took advantage of saving thousands over the cost of a new one.

Old 08-18-2021, 01:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you have to focus on the cost of ownership in two ways. While under warranty, which is extended for the Jag luxury brand versus other luxury brands, the cost of ownership is really just what you put in gas. Of course, they say premium, which will run you more, but you can calculate that out. Routine maintenance is handled during this period, so that cost is not in the equation here.

It is when you get out of warranty that you start to become concerned. Part of your analysis has to consider how long you want this period to run. You can get some brands that offer 100K miles. After that consideration, and keeping the cost of gas in mind, you start to think about the maintenance. Both routine and unexpected maintenance are going to cost more on a luxury car. My experience is double for your luxury car. Of course, you can lower that difference by not using the dealer. One thing about luxury dealers, they usually give loaners, which helps in the cost of repair if you need rentals.

I would not recommend the extended warranties that are offered. Save the money in a bank and use it if you need repairs. While there are cases of people benefiting from them, more than likely you wont save money here.

I have owned many brands and found that across the brands, the number of repairs is about the same. So, if you plan on keeping it, then you should be able to plan out if you can afford to have the Jag.

In the end, if you are a car guy, I recommend you go for it. The warranty will cover you for five years. Hopefully, when you are out of warranty you will have a better financial position, saved the repair money, and can afford to keep the Jag. Even still, if you are worse case, you can sell on and go back to a non-luxury brand. Having enjoyed five years in a fun Jag.

The following 2 users liked this post by Gobbler Man:
dagny747 (11-30-2023), Ichi Ban (08-18-2021)
Old 11-30-2023, 04:49 AM
Default It’s okay

My wife bought hers new in 2018. She had the heater issue that was repaired under warranty. Search my name for details. She also had a leaking windshield fixed under warranty. Again do a search. Other than that it’s pretty reliable. I’ve never driven it, as I’m in a wheelchair. She loves it in the snow and the remote start and audio features. She is not a particularly demanding driver. I’ve had my nephew drive it and he says it handles well over a 100 if I hat interests you. Once out of warranty we will have an independent repair shop do maintenance as the dealer is more expensive and you no longer get the loaner vehicle. As another person said, extended warranty is a waste. Save your money and plan for yearly maintenance. Would I buy it again, sure she liked the way it looked. Myself I would buy a base Porsche Macan. Finally, as to reliability we had a 1997 XJ6 which I drove and maintained. The XJ6 was sleek very fast and required lots of maintenance on everything but the engine. The epace is very reliable in comparison.

Old 12-18-2023, 04:42 PM
Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Buy a Japanese built Toyota if reliability is your primary concern. I've owned 20+ Toyotas - domestic Japanese market and export - over the decades. Many accumulated 100,000+ miles and one lasted 463,000 miles without having to open the engine, transmission, transfer case or differentials. U.S. built Toyotas have had some major fauxpas that Toyota honored beyond warranties. However, if you want a rare vehicle that exudes beauty, handling, performance, and comfort, buy a Jag. Ford helped fix Jaguar's reputation for poor quality. Tata has improved the quality & reliability all the more. Unfortunately, the bad reputation lingers; unjustifiably. Jaguars have a few known issues but the same can be said about the Audi's, Bimmers, Cadillac and Toyota (I mean, BMW) Supras we've owned. I'm hoping - praying, actually - that our current Jags last as long as that Toyota Previa with 463,000 miles on it.