E-Pace 2018 - Onwards

Contemplating purchase of used E-PACE

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2023, 11:56 AM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Contemplating purchase of used E-PACE

I'm thinking about purchasing a 2018 E-PACE with 75,000 miles on the odometer. However, there are a couple issues that I hope have simple fixes:

First - The backup camera displays a single center line as opposed to two lines representing the side of the vehicle;

Second - The lower set of LED lights don't illuminate when "high beam" is selected; and,

Third - Upon shutting down the engine it goes, "thunk" but not consistently.

I assume that the back-up camera and high beam issues can be resolved by refreshing the software.

Old 11-24-2023, 04:26 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ichi Ban
I'm thinking about purchasing a 2018 E-PACE with 75,000 miles on the odometer. However, there are a couple issues that I hope have simple fixes:
First - The backup camera displays a single center line as opposed to two lines representing the side of the vehicle;
Second - The lower set of LED lights don't illuminate when "high beam" is selected; and,
Third - Upon shutting down the engine it goes, "thunk" but not consistently.
Dude! You need a mechanic!

Old 11-25-2023, 08:02 AM
Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

It looks like you're buying the Jag from a dealer. Have them fix it or talk to the Sales Rep to give you a discount before he hands you the key. Request for a CARFAX history

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 11-25-2023 at 08:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ichi Ban (11-27-2023)
Old 11-27-2023, 06:27 AM

If there isn't too much risk of discovering latent issues, I hope to deduct the cost of repairs from the asking price. I've already asked my favorite Jag dealer to give me an estimate on what I'm already aware of. Sometime this week I should receive a reply from my service advisor. But I also thought that those of you on this forum would also have some knowledge. I mean, how difficult is it to turn on the high beams to one's vehicle and tell me if the lower string of LEDs illuminate when the high beam is selected? I'd do that but I've traded in our 2016 XF and 2018 F-PACE (they had similar LED headlamps) for later models which have entirely different LED headlamp design.

My wife and I previously owned the vehicle. We ordered it from the factory. After 39,000 miles she decided she wanted something different. That was three or four "different@ make and model vehicles. Ugh. I wanted to keep it. Now I want it back unless it is a money pit. Regardless, I already looked at the CarFax and for some unknown reason, the second owner never went to Jaguar for free maintenance or warranty work. Rather, they went to an independent. My wife and I have owned eight Jags with the oldest a 2015 F-Type. Actually, we have had as many as five Jags at one time. I've racked up lots of highway miles on each of them...and obviously love them. Right now, I'm assuming the issues with the headlamps (high beams) and back-up camera require nothing more than a software reboot.

Old 11-28-2023, 07:22 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Never heard of anyone buying back a previously owned vehicle and then questioning its validity. Do you question if the current owners abused it? If not, then these are just the repairs you would have encountered if you would have never let it go in the first place.

Old 11-28-2023, 08:34 PM

I've asked for productive advice but some can offer nothing more than snide comments. I've asked a simple question. If you don't know the answer, please keep it to yourself.

For the inexperienced, I've bought back a few vehicles in my many years. One vehicle sat on the lot for an entire year. When my father's car became unreliable, I bought back my previous vehicle for his use. With less than 100 additional miles on the odometer I had no reason to suspect the condition of the vehicle had changed. 30,000 miles since I owned the vehicle and an owner who didn't even know (s)he could obtain free maintenance and warranty service from Jaguar gives me reason to be cautious...unlike some who think otherwise.

The following users liked this post:
MiamiTVR (02-25-2024)
Old 07-29-2024, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem with the high beams and rear view camera may not only be in the software. The unit itself may not be working correctly.

Old 07-29-2024, 03:45 PM

Actually, it was my bad memory. The high beams worked as they should. So too with the backup camera. All was well and we've since put 10,000 more miles on the odometer. The lower half of the headlamp is nothing more than a turn signal. The upper half contains the two low beams and single high beam. I forgot that the Jaguar towing module enables one the option of a single guideline down the middle to assist with lining up the trailer tongue. My favorite service adviser at the local Land Rover (formerly, JLR) dealer refreshed my memory.