E-Pace 2018 - Onwards

Gas fumes in cabin

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas fumes in cabin

Hello everyone,
My '20 E Pace Checkered Flag Edition has a strange malady. After a drive of any distance if I stop and turn it off for a short period and start it back up gas fumes seem to be coming in from the center ac vents. The smell stops after a few minutes of driving. I don't smell any gas fumes under the hood. The JLR dealer kept it for a week and couldn't replicate the issue. Not sure how hard they tried because it happens fairly frequently (75% of the short stop/starts) for me.If anyone has had this issue happen please let me know if your dealer was able to diagnose a remedy or any ideas what it might be. The dealer didn't seem to be too interested in investigating too deeply so would like to show them someone else had the same issue and the diagnosis to fix.

Thanks

Old 06-08-2021, 11:28 AM

I am currently having the same problem, the dealership has had my 2020 Epace for a week and say that they cannot duplicate the problem.

Did you eventually figure out what was causing the fuel smell ?.

Old 06-11-2021, 04:27 PM

Mine is still doing it periodically - not as much as when I made my first post. Dealer still can’t replicate so I’ve given up on that angle. I had the oil/filter changed couple weeks ago and that’s when the smell became less frequent but still there. Happens when engine is warm and at idle or start up. The smell comes through center ac vents.
If it was happening to more of us Jag would be forced to either recall or at least put out a TSB to fix customer complaints.
Fuel vapors are dangerous and every effort should be made to find the issue but the dealer’s not going to tie up a tech for long hunting for an obscure customer complaint.

Old 01-18-2022, 02:46 PM

Over a year later and my E PACE is at the dealer for another go at fixing the gas fume issue. The tech admits smelling fumes this time which is a huge step toward the fix. While I was writing this post my service adviser called and they have determined a seal which cuts off the engine bay from the cabin was warped and likely the cause of the gas fume intrusion in the cabin. It is difficult to get to and took two techs several days to diagnose and then tear everything apart.
The biggest thing is getting the dealer techs to smell the fumes so they actually believe there is a problem. I don't think they will undertake a job like this without first hand smelling for themselves.
Hope this helps you

Old 01-19-2022, 06:59 PM
Received 173 Likes on 147 Posts

Yes, that should be fixed ASAP. It is downright dangerous (combustible) & bad for the health as well. Hope JLR fix it for good.

Old 05-02-2022, 03:12 PM
Default e pace gas fumes

My e pace is at the dealership now and the tech finally smelled the gas fumes in the car. Hoping they can find an answer. I’ll let you all know.

Old 05-02-2022, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by edieh82
My e pace is at the dealership now and the tech finally smelled the gas fumes in the car. Hoping they can find an answer. I’ll let you all know.
You should be ok now that they have actually smelled the fumes. They should be able to find the warped seal same as the techs did at my dealer. If not have your service advisor contact Erik Lundquist at Jaguar- Land Rover Nashville -- 615-986-6000 and he will be able to give them the details on my car's issues. Mine was the first with this problem and he made notes as to the remedy in case another customer had the same complaint.