E-Pace 2018 - Onwards

Wooden Inserts for E-Pace?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 09:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wooden Inserts for E-Pace?

I just attended a show where the National Capital Jaguar Owners' Association (Washington, DC, USA) had many Jaguars on display from the 1950s up through a 2021 F-Pace. One thing I noted was the extensive use of exotic woods in the dash and other interior pieces on the classic models (I LOVED the XK-120).

As I'm driving a 2018 E-Pace, and finding no wood accessories available for it, I'm thinking about making some of my own. Easy would be insert for the console between the seats. More challenging but doable would be inserts for some of the flat areas on and around the dash board. I'm thinking 1/4 inch thick pieces of oiled rosewood or walnut to add a bit of old world luxury.

Any thoughts from other E-Pace users on 1) if you think this would be a good look for our cars, 2) any suggestions on where best/easiest to add wood detailing, and 3) is this available somewhere and I just haven't seen it yet?

I will certainly post pictures if/when I execute this.

Bob C

Old 10-12-2021, 02:39 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeh, it would be nice to have nice gloss wood in the E-PACE like on the older Jags. ¼ inch thickness is way more than what Lexus and other car makers use except, maybe, on the console. My biggest concern would be making sure the wood doesn’t cover any of the airbags.

Old 10-15-2021, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,497 Likes on 1,956 Posts

May be a much bigger job than you think?

Might be worth a call to Madera Concepts? They are the factory approved wood refinishing company and when I had factory wood with cracks they were able to repair it. Jaguar dealers send their wood repairs to them also so they have a lot of experience. I will say the pieces they did for me were actually redone better than the original Jaguar finished wood!
Jaguar Wood

Old 10-15-2021, 10:50 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

One other thing: Please allow me to put my opinion in a proper perspective. I’m old and have always appreciated the natural beauty of fine wood. The younger generations prefer high tech, carbon fiber and lightweight materials even if the carbon fiber and materials are only for appearances.

Old 10-18-2021, 09:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clubairth1
May be a much bigger job than you think?

Might be worth a call to Madera Concepts? They are the factory approved wood refinishing company and when I had factory wood with cracks they were able to repair it. Jaguar dealers send their wood repairs to them also so they have a lot of experience. I will say the pieces they did for me were actually redone better than the original Jaguar finished wood!
Jaguar Wood
Thank you for letting me know about Madera Concepts - I was not aware of them and work they show on their website looks great. I reached out to them to see if they would be willing to make some products for the E-Pace model, and if so, what they'd expect price to be. I'll report back what they tell me.

RELATEDLY - The Madera products look like they are mainly replacement products to be installed after taking some existing trim out of the car. As E-Pace does not have wood trim to remove, I'm exploring wood veneer trim that can be applied over the existing plastic. Unlikely to attempt this over all of the dash trim, particularly where surfaces bend making it iffy that veneer adhesive would stay connected. So trying to come up with appropriate places to add adhesive veneer that would look like it belongs part of an E-Pace, and would stand the test of time with adhesion. More work to be done here, will report back with progress (and pictures).

Old 10-19-2021, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,497 Likes on 1,956 Posts

That is true but what I found out doing my stuff is the veneer is paper thin and can be applied to just about any surface geometry. So I think even if they can't or won't do what you want they might be able to provide some advice. They are very skilled/experienced from what I have seen.