E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

1970 XKE Series 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 07:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok success I have ignition ............thanks for all your assistance. Now what do I do with the Pico ignition relay it is hooked up with a the fan relay. The original alternator and dual fans were replaced with a Delco alternator and one large fan for better cooling and charging. They run through a two Pico relays. Should I run a direct power source to replace the ignition power I just bypassed ?

Last edited by john bald; 07-15-2019 at 07:46 AM. Reason: wrong label
Old 07-15-2019, 07:59 AM

as above

Old 07-15-2019, 02:06 PM
Received 367 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by john bald
Ok success I have ignition ............thanks for all your assistance. Now what do I do with the Pico ignition relay it is hooked up with a the fan relay. The original alternator and dual fans were replaced with a Delco alternator and one large fan for better cooling and charging. They run through a two Pico relays. Should I run a direct power source to replace the ignition power I just bypassed ?
John,
Great news on Ignition!!! Nice engine bay.!!!

See wiring diagram for single relay - single fan setup. Inline fuse holder from any automotive store, your single fan instructions should have the inline fuse rating.

Rgds
David

Old 07-16-2019, 08:08 AM

That's funny, I pulled off the same diagram off the net, once I get rewired Ill send a vid of her purring...............again thank you for all your help, always nice to be able to do it your self.The static ignition setting was the key, off plug 6 and turning the dist, to the right point, two man job for sure. A proper house cleaning, 50 years of butchery, I guess i will rehab the old dist, in case a collector wants the original. Keep the rubber side down and cheers !

John Bald

The following users liked this post:
David84XJ6 (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 08:04 PM

A couple of issue: I ran her at idle for awhile and found the Tach is not working its on the + of the coil, engine will not shut off ( a better problem than not starting ) and the fan runs as soon as the battery is engaged. I have eliminated the ignition relay and just have the fan relay, its wired as per diagram but seems to run independently of everything else?

Old 07-16-2019, 10:46 PM

See if engine shuts down with Tach wire removed,
See if fan stops with wire on thermostat sensor removed, if thermo-sensor good, try other relay

Last edited by David84XJ6; 07-17-2019 at 05:50 AM. Reason: info clarification
Old 07-17-2019, 05:54 AM

Confirm the ignition switch wires are correct, with Ign SW off, there should be no PWR to + side of Coil

Last edited by David84XJ6; 07-17-2019 at 11:39 AM. Reason: info clarification
Old 07-17-2019, 11:50 AM

John,
See above wiring diagram .... locate your starter relay (33231) and make sure that only the White/Blue wire from C1 is going to to Ignition coil + Terminal. Seeing your original pictures, one of the extra wire on Ignition coil was brown could have been from C2 if someone was rewiring inputs to the Starter Relay circuit. If some one tried to use the Pico relay in-place of starter relay, you could get fused points, meaning that fan runs all the time with that relay??? I think you should very if wires coming off Ignition switch and the starter circuit and ignition circuit, before you next engine start.
I may be getting paranoid, but stranger things have happened....you found a lot of extra wire.

Rgds
David

Old 07-17-2019, 07:56 PM

Tach working now, I had to move it on ( - ) side of the coil that's were it was originally before the paint job. Did some rejigging on the fan and it seems to run as it should, car starts strong and idle's better than before, the Petronix Dist works very well, don't have to use as much choke now, the only thing is it wont shutoff when the key is turned off. Am I missing a ground somewhere ? I did have this issue at the paint shop before when I had to move it around, so something has happened during the stripping and painting process, the whole ignition system is basically new now, I never had a ballast resistor on the car, since its negative ground and 3 omh coil, the old Pico relay is gone and its direct wire to the coil. so something is preventing the shutdown. I did replace the starter relay, wires there are original and hard to tell the colors, would a mis-wire on the relay cause the fault ?

Regards

JB

Old 07-18-2019, 12:54 AM

John
If the C2 and C1 wire were switched, you might have Bat Voltage to ign. coil all the time. Position 2 on ignition switch should be voltage to + terminal of Ign. coil. You could run a jumper from #2 pin on ignition switch to + side of coil, removing the current wire on + terminal. If it won't start, then put the removed wire back for staring, then remove. Ignition switch should cut voltage to coil when ignition switch tuned off.
If this is what happens, then you will have to sort the starter circuit.
At the relay: C2 wire to relay should have Battery voltage all the time. C1 wire to relay should only have voltage when ignition switch is on, from # 2 via the common connection at + terminal on Coil.

Nice to trouble shoot when your trying to find how to cut something off .... You are Close
Rgds
David

Old 07-22-2019, 08:08 PM
Default still no shut off

still no shut off when ignition is turned off checked c1 and c2 seems to be wired correctly ?

Old 07-22-2019, 11:47 PM

John

With ignition switch off, check + side of Ignition Coil, there should be no voltage. If you have 12V, you will have to track the source, it should not be there.

With engine running pull, white wire off the #2 terminal of ignition switch, the engine should stop. If that stops engine, then this could indicate an ignition switch problem internally or the wires are on the wrong terminals of the ignition switch (you may need a small mirror to see back of switch).

Since your actual wiring seems to be different from internet search (-Tach , non-ballast - etc) please confirm your Ignition switch setup and wire colors, as they may be different from what I found for 1970 XKE.
Rgds
David

Old 08-10-2019, 07:19 PM
Default All good

Sorry for the delay, I had to back to life for awhile. I also had to go back to the ignition relay and run a new wire from the C1, but it all works great now, I win the contest for the most connectors on a Coil 6! Thanks for your help

The following users liked this post:
David84XJ6 (08-10-2019)
Old 06-14-2021, 09:58 AM
Default Wiper Motor 70 Etype S2

Wow what a thing to remove, it seems to be pooched, is there anybody rebuilding them in Canada or the US ? Cant seem to find any rebuilds or new ones ? Any help would be appreciated.

John