E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

1971 Jaguar XKE Mark II 4.2

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2021 | 06:57 AM
|
Default 1971 Jaguar XKE Mark II 4.2

Gentlemen:
Good morning to all, I am in the process of buying a 1971 Jaguar XKE Mark II 4.2, however, I am aware of the plagued Lucas electrical systems problems in Jags, what type of system was used in these models in 1971?

Old 10-08-2021 | 07:54 PM

Hi Basque1,
Your car has Lucas, father of darkness.
Bill.

The following 2 users liked this post by Daytona:
amyshirt (09-02-2024), Basque1 (10-09-2021)
Old 10-08-2021 | 09:28 PM

Bienvenu!

I've had 5 1962-1974 British cars and for the most part, their issues are not all Lucas. I found that replacing/ cleaning the fuse boxes on the MGs and Triumphs cured many of their electrical ills and cleaning spade and bullet connectors also helped. The climate of the country/ area also played a part.... dampness being a contributor. That being said, my 1969 series 2 had its original alternator replaced with what I was told is a "Mopar conversion". These cars are now 50+ years old and no parts last forever. I have replaced the original distributor with a 123 electronic distributor, mainly because the points condensers, etc available here in the US are lacking in quality. If you are having a particular problem with the car, just post it here. There are many knowledgeable owners who are willing to help. I have benefitted greatly from their collective wisdom and advice.

Old 10-09-2021 | 03:47 AM

I've had no major problems with electrics, just the usual time-inflicted failures such as plug leads breaking down, coils failing etc. I have also switched to a 123 dizzie for ease; no maintenance. Because parts can fail, I keep a spare of everything in the car - coil, leads, plugs etc. They are not expensive, and are easy to fit. If you're on an original dizzie, make sure you keep a spare cap and rotor arm to hand.

Old 10-09-2021 | 04:58 AM
|

Originally Posted by Daytona
Hi Basque1,
Bill.
not buying if it has not been updated at restoration time

Old 10-09-2021 | 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Basque1
not buying if it has not been updated at restoration time
Might not be a great decision if the car is otherwise very good. Many excellent (sometimes concourse) cars are restored with an eye to originality and hence retain old distributors with contact points etc. If they didn't, they wouldn't be concourse. However, if you wish to update, it is a cheap and easy thing to do with electronic components. Far more important in buying a car is the true body condition regarding rust. Does it just look good because of a paint over, with rotten sills lurking underneath? And so on. An engine rebuild might cost $15,000 - electrics (distributor, coil, leads, etc) $500?

The following users liked this post:
Basque1 (10-09-2021)
Old 10-09-2021 | 05:45 AM
|

Originally Posted by dibbyandco
Might not be a great decision if the car is otherwise very good. Many excellent (sometimes concourse) cars are restored with an eye to originality and hence retain old distributors with contact points etc. If they didn't, they wouldn't be concourse. However, if you wish to update, it is a cheap and easy thing to do with electronic components. Far more important in buying a car is the true body condition regarding rust. Does it just look good because of a paint over, with rotten sills lurking underneath? And so on. An engine rebuild might cost $15,000 - electrics (distributor, coil, leads, etc) $500?
I understand maybe if I send out an inapection

Old 10-09-2021 | 07:22 AM

Basque1,
dibbyandco is right. Not buying an otherwise good E-Type because still has the original distributor or has not had some upgrades, is not the way to buy and e-Type.
In your original post you asked what electrical system was in the car you are buying. It has Lucas and all the jokes that go with it. But Lucas can be reliable as Valerie mentioned, but keep in mind that these are not modern cars that you just get in and drive without tinkering with it once in a while. You have to be able to turn a wrench (Or learn to turn a wrench) or pay somebody to do it for you.
The thing is, are you buying the car to show or to drive. If you are buying it to drive, then you should make it as reliable as possible by doing what is by now some well known updates and maintenance. If you are not familiar with the E-Type technical aspects, this forum is an excellent source of knowledge from members eager to share their experiences with all things Jaguar.
Don't not buy a solid mechanical and structural car because it has not been updated electrically.The electrical updates are fairly easy to do and relatively inexpensive as Valerie pointed out.
Let us know when you buy the car. We all want to see it.
Good luck.
Bill.

The following users liked this post:
Basque1 (10-10-2021)
Old 10-09-2021 | 01:31 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Basque1,
Bill.
Actually it is "Prince of Darkness" ! (lol)

Old 10-09-2021 | 06:40 PM

So, Darth Vader then.

Old 10-09-2021 | 08:37 PM

Important points raised.. often people ask if if I'm interested in buying their car (usually an E) and I ask what was done to it. Usually the PO has messed with it, thinking s/he can do complicated carb adjustments, rewiring components and adding too much to a circuit, taping wires together instead of soldering them. When I got my car (1989) I found an old ice cream bucket in the right rear quarter.. tried to pull it out, and see what was wrapped in the white towel. Turned out it was the fuel pump.. PO couldn't get it back on its little shelf, so just tucked it in the bucket. Certainly not the fault of the fuel pump, or the car. As I often tell people who ask what it's like to own one of these ( or ANY vintage car, boat or vehicle) Will it start? Will it run? Will you get there? Will you get home? If you cannot accept that premise, you shouldn't buy it. If you do, sign up for AAA Gold Road Service, it's saved my bacon more than once.

Old 10-10-2021 | 06:39 AM
|

Basque1,
dibbyandco is right. Not buying an otherwise good E-Type because still has the original distributor or has not had some upgrades, is not the way to buy and e-Type.
In your original post you asked what electrical system was in the car you are buying. It has Lucas and all the jokes that go with it. But Lucas can be reliable as Valerie mentioned, but keep in mind that these are not modern cars that you just get in and drive without tinkering with it once in a while. You have to be able to turn a wrench (Or learn to turn a wrench) or pay somebody to do it for you.
The thing is, are you buying the car to show or to drive. If you are buying it to drive, then you should make it as reliable as possible by doing what is by now some well known updates and maintenance. If you are not familiar with the E-Type technical aspects, this forum is an excellent source of knowledge from members eager to share their experiences with all things Jaguar.
Don't not buy a solid mechanical and structural car because it has not been updated electrically.The electrical updates are fairly easy to do and relatively inexpensive as Valerie pointed out.
Let us know when you buy the car. We all want to see it.
Good luck.
Bill.
Oh I fully understand your point, I do my own maintenance right now to my present vintage vehicle (AC Cobra), however, I know what is to walk into a hornet's nest with a vehicle and be held hostage by "***********s" that will take advantage of their own expertise and clean you out. I had a situation with a 2004 Range Rover a few years back with the timing chain job, at the rate that they were going to go doing unnecessary work it would have exceeded de value of the vehicle. Tks to an insider friend who put a stop at that nonsense I had the work done at a reasonable price. I have built several cars from the ground up so I am not afraid to turn wrenches and get dirty, but I am not going into endless rabbit holes just to say that I have a Jaguar. I am waiting for the seller's response to several of my questions including the electrical system. Hopefully I will make the right decision, but I won't b e rushed into it. Tks for your insight.

Old 10-10-2021 | 07:12 AM

Excellent. Being able to handle a wrench and understanding a volt meter are fundamental to being able to do the maintenance and updates your self.
Bill.

Old 10-17-2021 | 09:07 PM

Not a big deal but you should refer to it as a Series 2, not a Mark II.