E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

70 4.2 New AC Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 70 4.2 New AC Overheating

I recently had a local shop Vintage Aire AC, aluminum radiator, fan, alternator. The car now is overheating. Any suggestions?

Old 07-26-2016, 01:40 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You didn't say if it overheats while driving, or sitting in traffic...
When you say "overheat", how hot does it get? You need to determine if it is actually overheating, or just running hotter , than when the air is not on.
If you don't know how hot it is getting, I suggest that you purchase an infrared thermometer from HF ($25 or so), and when it gets hot, check the temperature at the temp sensor location, and at the radiator, while running....
Do you know that the fans are running? Do you have double or single fans? A/C requires a double fan setup.
A/C has always been a problem on these cars, as the cooling system , while adequate, was never really designed for A/C....
Does the coolant boil over? What is the pressure of the cap at the overflow, and is it a good cap? The higher the pressure, the lower the temp...I believe that A/C cars use a 13lb cap (Not sure, but you can check that).
Anyway, we need more information to help you.
Edward

Old 07-26-2016, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Barry
You didn't say if it overheats while driving, or sitting in traffic...
When you say "overheat", how hot does it get? You need to determine if it is actually overheating, or just running hotter , than when the air is not on.
If you don't know how hot it is getting, I suggest that you purchase an infrared thermometer from HF ($25 or so), and when it gets hot, check the temperature at the temp sensor location, and at the radiator, while running....
Do you know that the fans are running? Do you have double or single fans? A/C requires a double fan setup.
A/C has always been a problem on these cars, as the cooling system , while adequate, was never really designed for A/C....
Does the coolant boil over? What is the pressure of the cap at the overflow, and is it a good cap? The higher the pressure, the lower the temp...I believe that A/C cars use a 13lb cap (Not sure, but you can check that).
Anyway, we need more information to help you.
Edward
Thanks Edward, I am traveling this week and will get the answers to your questions as soon as I return home.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:53 AM

I removed the new aluminum radiator and fans and re-installed the originals. The car works perfectly with the old radiator and fans if I remove the condenser. It overheats to the point of boiling if the condenser is installed. I read one post about re-coring the radiator to a larger size. Any thoughts?

Old 08-06-2016, 12:26 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 70etype
I removed the new aluminum radiator and fans and re-installed the originals. The car works perfectly with the old radiator and fans if I remove the condenser. It overheats to the point of boiling if the condenser is installed. I read one post about re-coring the radiator to a larger size. Any thoughts?
The heat coefficient of aluminum is much lower than copper....Copper dissipates heat much more quckly....
I also have read somewhere that a copper radiator can be recored with an additional row of pipes....Check with a good radiator shop....

Edward

Old 08-06-2016, 08:49 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

70 ETYPE.....I ve been through this 25 years ago, go back to the aluminium rad.
Then make sure you changed your rad pressure caps to 13/14 lbs. I forgot will go out to garage and check for you .
Make sure your fan is hot wired to the a/c switch so once the a/c goes on the fan goes on....
You have to have a condenser. Your old rad will not keep up.
Also are your pressures correct on the a/c side....
good luck
gtjoey1314

Old 02-15-2023, 09:09 PM
Default Question to yall about 2011 Jaguar XJ

I have a 2011 Jaguar XJ and my coolant reservoir will boil and steam sometimes without overheating engine but the engine has overheated once. I have a new cap on and it's a new reservoir. I had the shop bleed the system but it still does it off and on. Any idea what the issue could be?

Old 02-16-2023, 10:07 AM
Received 339 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by KBdaCEO
I have a 2011 Jaguar XJ and my coolant reservoir will boil and steam sometimes without overheating engine but the engine has overheated once. I have a new cap on and it's a new reservoir. I had the shop bleed the system but it still does it off and on. Any idea what the issue could be?
You may want to try posting this in the appropriate XJ forum, someone there will be better able to help you and answer your questions.