E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

70 OTS How to Identify the Right Harmonic Balancer

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2024 | 07:23 PM
|
Default 70 OTS How to Identify the Right Harmonic Balancer

I am re posting this subject from a posting on the Jag Lovers forum to get some expanded feed back from member here as well. ThanksThis has been the most puzzling question on this car so far!
I opened a new Topic to compress all the responses so far and get more focused on the original question.

My 70 series2 is a non AC car. engine 7R-9760-9.
SNG and Martin Robey advise the correct damper is EAC4050 unfortunately it is no longer available anywhere. To make part identification more difficult none of the dampers ever had a part number on them. Here is a picture of the correct damper supplied by SNG. ( Richard Liggett identified the original damper correctly as C27295 however it was superseded by EAC4050 neither of which are available).

balancer1742×731 203 KB

Unfortunately it does not show the location of the timing marks relative to the keyway…
MIke Spoelker was kind enough to send me a damper that very closely resembles the SNG photo. You can see that the location of the keyway is directly opposite the timing marks.

IMG_37593024×4032 1.95 MB

Meanwhile Paul Novak posted photos of the balancer he took off his 69 2+2 with AC.
Note that the damper looks similar to the SNG photo and the damper supplied by Mike and in his picture the keyway is also aligned right over the timing marks. Paul also shows it reads off the timing pointer mounted on the bottom of the sump.

Denis Donohue also posted a picture of his late series 2 OTS, no AC car. His pointer is also at 6 on the sump. So this is now showing both AC and non AC cars with the same pointer location. (Note his engine # is 7R10633 vs mine# 7R9760-9 Lastly David Chiahotny mentioned his 1970 no AC car has the pointer also at 6 and believes it to be original as he purchased.

balancer 4999×750 157 KB

All this leads me to believe MIke’s balancer might be the correct one however some questions remain .

Is there any reason a late 69 vs 70 balancer, on an AC equipped vs a non AC engine, would have the timing marks in different positions or use a different pointer location relative to the keyway?

Also .if the timing marks are opposite the keyway shouldn’t this mean the engine is at TDC on these cars when the crank keyway is at 6 oclock and that the sump pointer is the correct one?

Richard Liggitt noted,.
“In the middle of production of the SII Jaguar changed the harmonic damper from 6 o’clock to 2 o’clock and then back to 6 o’clock. This happened from engine nos. 7R.1346 to 7R.5538 (SWB) and from 7R.35089 to 7R.37549 (2+2). The 6 o’clock damper is P/N C.27295 and the 2 o’clock is C.29370. This was a dumb idea but since the 2 o’clock position was consistent with the XJ6 the probably thought they were saving something.”

If the above is true relative to the 6 o’clock timing alignment I do not understand Nick Saltarelli’s reference to that " looking from the front of the engine the correct damper for your application will have the vernier at 2 o’clock with the keyway at 6".
I would assume a damper with timing marks at 2 would have to have a different location than 6 for the keyway???.

One other possible consideration might be if the car had both AC and Power Steering?

Old 03-03-2024 | 07:30 AM
|
Default Damper update

Originally Posted by johnrmclean
I am re posting this subject from a posting on the Jag Lovers forum to get some expanded feed back from member here as well. ThanksThis has been the most puzzling question on this car so far!
I opened a new Topic to compress all the responses so far and get more focused on the original question.

My 70 series2 is a non AC car. engine 7R-9760-9.
SNG and Martin Robey advise the correct damper is EAC4050 unfortunately it is no longer available anywhere. To make part identification more difficult none of the dampers ever had a part number on them. Here is a picture of the correct damper supplied by SNG. ( Richard Liggett identified the original damper correctly as C27295 however it was superseded by EAC4050 neither of which are available).

balancer1742×731 203 KB

Unfortunately it does not show the location of the timing marks relative to the keyway…
MIke Spoelker was kind enough to send me a damper that very closely resembles the SNG photo. You can see that the location of the keyway is directly opposite the timing marks.

IMG_37593024×4032 1.95 MB

Meanwhile Paul Novak posted photos of the balancer he took off his 69 2+2 with AC.
Note that the damper looks similar to the SNG photo and the damper supplied by Mike and in his picture the keyway is also aligned right over the timing marks. Paul also shows it reads off the timing pointer mounted on the bottom of the sump.

Denis Donohue also posted a picture of his late series 2 OTS, no AC car. His pointer is also at 6 on the sump. So this is now showing both AC and non AC cars with the same pointer location. (Note his engine # is 7R10633 vs mine# 7R9760-9 Lastly David Chiahotny mentioned his 1970 no AC car has the pointer also at 6 and believes it to be original as he purchased.

balancer 4999×750 157 KB

All this leads me to believe MIke’s balancer might be the correct one however some questions remain .

Is there any reason a late 69 vs 70 balancer, on an AC equipped vs a non AC engine, would have the timing marks in different positions or use a different pointer location relative to the keyway?

Also .if the timing marks are opposite the keyway shouldn’t this mean the engine is at TDC on these cars when the crank keyway is at 6 oclock and that the sump pointer is the correct one?

Richard Liggitt noted,.
“In the middle of production of the SII Jaguar changed the harmonic damper from 6 o’clock to 2 o’clock and then back to 6 o’clock. This happened from engine nos. 7R.1346 to 7R.5538 (SWB) and from 7R.35089 to 7R.37549 (2+2). The 6 o’clock damper is P/N C.27295 and the 2 o’clock is C.29370. This was a dumb idea but since the 2 o’clock position was consistent with the XJ6 the probably thought they were saving something.”

If the above is true relative to the 6 o’clock timing alignment I do not understand Nick Saltarelli’s reference to that " looking from the front of the engine the correct damper for your application will have the vernier at 2 o’clock with the keyway at 6".
I would assume a damper with timing marks at 2 would have to have a different location than 6 for the keyway???.

One other possible consideration might be if the car had both AC and Power Steering?
After considerable consideration late last night it dawned on me that either damper would work as long as the correct pointer location was used for the timing markings on them however the most probable combination for my engine based on all the feed back would be the 6x6 configuration. Thanks to all that helped with feedback to come to this decision.