E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

70 OTS Roadster ..To Paint or Not To Paint .. That is the Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2024, 01:31 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 70 OTS Roadster ..To Paint or Not To Paint .. That is the Question

So I'm not there yet but as I work on my 70 OTS body it will not be collectible quality and I'm torn on how to paint it. The original color was Silver but a terrible paint job was done to a silver blue color.
One: I can't decide if I should restore it too the original car color or another I might like better.
Two: I can't decide, if I restore it to the original color, if I should paint the engine compartment and rails also to the original silver or change the whole engine compartment and firewall to black.
Any thoughts out there?

Old 03-10-2024, 02:33 PM
Received 314 Likes on 203 Posts
Default it's your car............

Happy to give my thoughts, but realistically, it's your car and you should have what you like and can live with. When it came time for the paint on my 69 S2, I only thought about changing it for 2 seconds, and opted to stay with the Sable it left the factory with. If you want to change the color, what DO you like better? Are you a cool color range.. blues/silvers? or warm color... golds/tans? Look at your closet, do you get an indication of your color preferences from that? Do you want to paint it a color that was available the year your car was built? (does that matter?). Look at some of the color chips that Es came in and see if there's one that draws your eye. (the Sable on this link is not at all like what I have) My general color preference is earth tones, but my Golf is Silver and the F is Ammonite Grey

https://www.inetogether.org/jaguar/paint.php If you hover over the color names, you can click to bring up a link for the years the color was available.

I would not paint the engine compartment black, too hard to see stuff in there. Perhaps paint that area the factory color if it's not too far off from the exterior color you'd prefer.
What color is your interior? My E came with Cinnamon, but looking at the then (1990) available interior samples in Cinnamon, it was a horrible clash with the Sable. I opted to go with Biscuit, which has worked out well.

I think Es in the factory silver are really beautiful, as are the Opalescents. Maikel Lemke had some YT videos of an Opalescent blue that was at the 2024 Retromobile in Paris with a lighter blue interior that was just spectacular.

Attached Thumbnails 70 OTS Roadster ..To Paint or Not To Paint .. That is the Question-eat64003.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
johnrmclean (03-10-2024)
Old 03-10-2024, 07:10 PM

Yes for sure the color chip on the chart is not close nor dos it due justice to your cars actual color which is quite nice.You seem to have an eye for color and style! I like classic black performance but I have had a lot of black cars and one bad thing about them is that the paint is very susceptible to scratches when washing etc so they always seem to show micro scratches and swirls. While I like silver, and they don't show micro scratches like black, I have likewise had a lot of silver cars. The total interior including the carpets, door panels and top were black and need to be totally replaced so they could be any color while the black seats will likely remain. I was rather thinking about going with a silver with higher metal flake , retaining the black seats, but going with dark blue carpets and fabric dark blue top. I rather also like some willow green cars I have seen that look very classy to me maybe with a tan or light tan interior , keeping the black seats , and a darker green fabric top. Decisions decisions!

Old 03-14-2024, 09:12 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You asked for my opinion. Big mistake. Being a purist, I would repaint and reupholster in the original colors. They tend to retain their value better.
That said it is your car and E-Types look great in any color.. Do what pleases you.

Herb

Old 03-14-2024, 02:42 PM
Default Paint Color

Herb ..If my car was collector quality and resale value was a concern I would agree with you 100% but since it’s not I am exploring all options.