E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

72 xke

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 10:43 PM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts
Default 72 xke

Howdy all.
I'm an xj6 owner in classes for auto appraisal and I'm going to look at an xke in two days.
I would really appreciate any input I could get as to what to look for as common problems and possible upgrades on 72 xke.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

A '72 would be a V12 so cooling system condition is critical.

Any transmission work is an 'engine out' affair so a weak clutch or poorly shifting automatic can be a real bummer.

By far the biggest XKE problem is rust. Like other cars of the era they simply were not properly rust-proofed when built. I'm willing to wager that, at this stage of the game (41 years since the last one was built), the only XKEs that are not rusty are the ones that have already been professionally restored.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-26-2015, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug

Any transmission work is an 'engine out' affair so a weak clutch or poorly shifting automatic can be a real bummer.

By far the biggest XKE problem is rust. Like other cars of the era they simply were not properly rust-proofed when built. I'm willing to wager that, at this stage of the game (41 years since the last one was built), the only XKEs that are not rusty are the ones that have already been professionally restored.

Cheers
DD
+1
And that rust can be not only in the body shell,. The front engine cradles that also mount the front suspension are made of Reynolds 531 square-section tubing and are also prone to rust, and if rusted the car can be in a dangerous condition. Fortunately, these frames are available new in a different material as Reynolds 531 is NLA. They are not cheap, obviously.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:14 PM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug

Cheers
DD
Well. I am now officially a certified auto appraiser. This was my first appraisal. Yesterday. And as stated it was either junk or restored. It was a restored beauty. Absolutely beautiful. Better than a driver but not a concourse car. I did not have the motor mount information and I did not look at that area very well. But omg. I literally drewled on this car. XKE convertible. I'm not legally allowed to say what its value is but I could never afford this for many years with no food.

Can you see my druel?

Old 08-26-2015, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

That looks like a 6-cylinder car. It might be titled as a '72' but the last of the 6-cylinder cars were built in early 1971 as far as I can recall

A nice XKE is drool worthy, yes. Quite a thrill to drive....although there's no doubt at all that you're sitting in (some say 'wearing') a car from an entirely different era.

Cheers
DD