E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

'73 E-Type: reconnecting carbon canister evap system

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 01:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default '73 E-Type: reconnecting carbon canister evap system

I acquired my '73 Series 3 from a prior owner who had removed all of the emission control equipment and replaced the gas tank.
The car emits a strong gasoline odor in and around the boot - especially after filling the tank.
It also emits an oil odor under the bonnet, mostly when running.
In researching the likely causes, I discovered:
  • when the gas tank was replaced, the tank vent tubes were plugged and not connected to the expansion tank
  • the carbon/charcoal canister was removed and the connection between the expansion tank and carbon canister was removed
  • the gas cap is now vented
  • the crankcase breather vents directly to the open air.
I decided to do a few things to address the problems:
  1. reconnect the gas tank vents to the expansion tank
  2. install a non-vented gas cap
  3. reinstall the carbon canister (which was removed, but I still have) and reconnect the gas tank vent to the canister
  4. reconnect the crankcase breather to be recirculated through the inlet manifold T-pipe (which was removed, but I still have)
I've now reconnected the 3 gas tank vents to the expansion tank and reconnected the expansion tank to the vent line that goes to the charcoal canister under the bonnet. This was not trivial as it involved draining and removing the gas tank to gain access to the expansion tank. There were several sources of info to aid me in this process, including the first attachment. I've already noticed an improvement in the gas odor.

Now that this is done, I'm ready to reinstall the carbon canister under the bonnet and connect it to the expansion tank vent line. Then there will be 3 more connections to be made to the carbon cannister. I've worked out where two of the three should connect, but the third is a mystery. See the second attachment where I've highlighted the mystery outlet. I've also attached a photo of the carbon canister - the mystery connection is labeled "C".

Does anyone know where this should connect to?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Charcoal canister.pdf (2.74 MB, 77 views)
Old 03-31-2022, 06:04 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I vaguely recall one of those is a vent/intake to the atmosphere but I could be wrong. I'll have access to my '73 this weekend and will try to check it for you.

The following users liked this post:
rhvh2000 (03-31-2022)
Old 04-03-2022, 12:13 AM

The "C" hose runs parallel to the center "P" hose, both connecting to metal tubes that run up past the carbs and then back to rubber hoses that connect to the crossover pipes above the carbs. "C" is ultimately connected to a metal crossover pipe with each end of the crossover pipe connected to the backsides of the air cleaner housings. It looks like the line ends at the vacuum valves inside the air cleaners (the ones marked "AC"). Not sure what it all does but that's how the lines run. Here are some photos of the setup on my car. In the second photo above the carbs the textured hose with the hose clamp is connected to "P" and the other hose with the faint red stripe and no hose clamp is connected to "C". My car is completely original and I've owned it for almost 40 years so I'm quite sure this is how it left the factory. Hope this helps.

Hose connections at the charcoal canister

Hose connections at crossover pipes. Note the connection to the back of the air cleaner housing.

The following users liked this post:
rhvh2000 (04-03-2022)
Old 04-03-2022, 05:22 PM

This is super helpful @lrgridley! Just what I need. I'll have to procure a few more parts to complete the connections, but really looking forward to the odor reduction (not to mention spewing all that stuff into the atmosphere). The beauty of this part of the setup is that it should decrease odors and pollution without any impact on performance or mileage.

Many thanks!

Rick

Old 04-04-2022, 07:45 PM

Glad it's helpful. Just so you know you'll still have a little gas smell in the boot (I do) but re-plumbing the evap system should help a lot. Good luck with the project!

Old 04-05-2022, 07:52 PM

Yes, I think it's an "occupational hazard" of owning an E-Type that there will be some odors. But just reconnecting the expansion tank (and not yet the carbon cannister) has significantly reduced the gas odor in the garage immediately after the tank is filled. Can't wait to get the cannister connected to see if there is additional reduction. If nothing else it's sure to help because the crankcase vent will no longer be venting directly to the atmosphere under the bonnet.

Now I've got to look into why I have to fill the tank so often. I know the V12s aren't famous for good gas mileage, but I'm getting 6.3mpg. Yikes.

One question that's come up in this process is that I've got an owner's supplement pamphlet that deals with the evaporative and emission control systems. But it's the wrong year. My car is a 1973, and the supplement is for a 1972. And there were changes in the carbon cannister between those 2 years, so this supplement doesn't address my car. I've attached the cover.

I was wondering if you have the same supplement, but for 1973, and if so would you mind sharing it?

All the best,

Rick

Old 04-05-2022, 08:30 PM

I don't have that supplement, or a 1973 version of it (if there was one). There's quite a bit of info on the emissions system in the back part of my "Operating, Maintenance and Service Handbook" (basically the Owner's Manual). Do you have that version with the red cover and yellow lettering? If not Jaguar may have used the supplement you have with and earlier version of the Owner's Manual.

One other thing to check in your efforts to reduce the fumes - as you know there is an expansion tank located behind the boot panel by the fuel filler. Besides the line to the carbon canister it has a couple of hoses that connect to the fuel tank itself. Those rubber hoses may be cracked and allowing the tank to vent into the boot. Worth checking those out too.

Last edited by lrgridley; 04-05-2022 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-06-2022, 09:29 AM

I have the Operating, Maintenance & Service Handbook; it's got red lettering on a yellowish cover. And you're right! It includes all of the info in the pamphlet, but for the correct model year. I hadn't noticed it before - thanks for pointing it out.

Yes, I knew about the expansion tank - in fact that was the first part of my project. The gas tank was replaced by prior owner, but instead of hooking it up to the expansion tank, all 3 of the gas tank vents were plugged, and a hole was drilled in the non-vented gas cap (which turned it into a vented cap). So when I filled the tank, there was nowhere for expanding gas to go except out the gas cap. Yikes, major fuel smell in the garage.

So I had to figure out how to hook up the gas tank to the expansion tank. It was a pretty big project, because I had to remove the gas tank in order to get access to the expansion tank. I used all new rubber hoses for the connection to the expansion tank. In the process I reconnected the vent line from the expansion tank that runs forward to the engine bay. I also reverted the gas cap to a non-vented cap. That's where the project stands now, and it has made a major difference in the gas smell.

Next step is to reinstall the carbon cannister and connect the gas tank vent line to the cannister - along with the other 4 cannister connections that you helped me figure out. Also not a small task because I've got to reinstall the balance pipes and connect them to the carbs and air cleaner. Made even more complicated because prior owner replaced the Stromberg carbs with SUs, so the routing of the pipes and hoses doesn't fit naturally. I've got the old Strombergs, maybe I'll recondition them sometime...

This will also give me the ability to properly connect the crankcase vent so it is routed back into the engine to be burned. Right now it vents to atmosphere.

Thanks for all your help - it's really made a difference.

Gotta love this community!

Rick

Old 04-07-2022, 07:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a great thread. Will be visiting the carbon canister and lines at my garage soon. I am working my way forward after reconditioning the fuel tank and a million lines. Jaguar used the most amazing lines from the fuel tank to the expansion tank. Still in great shape after 50 years. Unfortunately had to be replaced. I still can't imagine being on the assembly floor and having to do the expansion tank and fuel tank install on a daily basis.

Old 04-07-2022, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by SeansJagAdventure
I still can't imagine being on the assembly floor and having to do the expansion tank and fuel tank install on a daily basis.
I agree - I worked the summer of 1976 in the GM assembly plant in Linden NJ installing the right taillight on every Buick, Olds, and Cadillac that came down the line. A piece of cake compared to the E-Type gas and expansion tanks!
Looks like we're on parallel adventures - is yours a '73?
Let's stay in touch as we move our projects forward.
Best,
Rick