E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

73 S3 V12 Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 73 S3 V12 Won't Start

List:
I replaced my fuel pump, filters, and added an inline filter before the fuel pump just for safety. I believe the fuel starvation issue is now fixed. I have oodles of fuel coming out of the hose right before the carbs. For some reason, the car has decided not to start. Checked fuel and there is plenty. I removed a spark plug and checked for spark and - no spark. I drove it in the garage prior to replacing the fuel pump. Hadnt touched anything in the engine bay, had the battery ground off while doing the pump job.

The engine turns over just fine, plenty of battery juice and starter power. It has a nearly new SNG Barrett electronic igntion setup. Any ideas what to check? I checked connections on clips and plug wires at all places.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Old 07-04-2016, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Hadnt touched anything in the engine bay, had the battery ground off while doing the pump job.
OK, that ground is presumably now back on, but is the engine-body ground attached ? I had trouble starting an XJ6 in 1992, and found this ground had rusty connections to the body.

Also is the timing right ?

Old 07-04-2016, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think so. I had been testing the coil and removing and reinstalling connectors and it now runs. However, after driving it, it is acting like it is fuel starved and popping. Not sure if something happened to the electronic ignition or the fuel pressure is low. Have a fuel pressure gauge on order to test. Thanks ,jim

Old 07-06-2016, 12:53 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I might pull a spark plug to see what it looks like. Usually a good indicator if something is real lean or rich.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:36 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Like another thread, you now have spark.
1. You might have flodded the plugs.
2. How old is the gas in the tank.
Good luck.......you might have just wiped the plugs out since there was no spark.
Good luck
GTJOEY1314