E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

After Market Power Antenna Not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Market Power Antenna Not working

Hello guys. I have a 1973 E-type coupe 2+2 and want to change the existing manual antenna to an after market power antenna.

I have located the two wires at the right rear (on a LHD car) near the fuel pump that are original wire harness wires. There is not power (using a pwer meter) at either of these wires when key switch is on and radio is on.

Can you tell me (on a coupe):
1) where is the relay for the antenna motor located (undr hood or deep inside the fender)?
2) are the fuses for the power antenna located behind the flip down instrument panel ?
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:54 AM
Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts
Smile Here's what I did

First a question,Why would a manual antennae have a relay or even fuses at all? My car has an antennae switch. Does yours? It's double throw double pole, momentary contact. Simply put... I flip it up, the antennae goes up, I let it go, it stops as the switch goes back to the middle position. I flip in down and the antennae goes back down. On either extension(fully up or fully down), you'll hear a tap,tap,tap that's telling you it's all the way. Now this switch has two wires running from it to the rear of the car. If you use a switch you'll need to run these wires and route them under the rug. One wire is for power and you'll need to run a power wire from somewhere under the dash to this CENTRE power connection on the switch to PROVIDE power to the switch one wire is for up, and one is for down. The antennae up wire will be the wire on the switch obviously designated a color for up and will go to the corresponding (up) wire on the antennae. The down wire likewise. If youre using a modern stereo then there is but one yellow wire for the antennae and, there will be a relay already on your antennae for this. Your new antennae will provide the instructions. The antennae will need to be grounded with the relay. Hope this helped Buddyluv P.S.Let me know if you'd like more help or questions answered

Last edited by buddyluv; 02-24-2013 at 01:10 AM.