E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Anybody willing to help appraise a 73 XKE?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 02:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Must be hard to consider parting with it. It's just too beautiful! (except for the exhaust outlets)

Last edited by Gippsland; 09-06-2013 at 02:12 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heck, make an offer guys. I've seen values and I don't think there's anything significantly mechanically wrong with it. The owner had it sit, couldn't start it, put starting fluid in it, got a backfire through the carbs I think and let it sit.

It all comes down to $.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:39 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I know a bit about what you have ahead of you. I don't intend to frighten you, but I don't think you know what lies ahead with this car. It's not your typical Chevy. BTW I restore Corvettes too, and the E-Type is miles apart in further complexity. You can see our '72 Here.

10 years is a long time for a car like this to sit. Here are some of the things you will likely need to do before you attempt to start it. A backfire causing diagnosis could be easy, or it could be major. After you do the following, that will have to be addressed.

Rebuild 4 carbs. New seals in float bowls is a MUST. The design of the Zeniths promotes fuel to drain from the bowl caps directly on to the exhaust manifolds after sitting a long time. Be VERY careful when the pump runs and plant rags under each carb to catch the dripping fuel.

Drain fuel from tank, rebuild fuel pump(it WILL need it), flush lines, new filter. Use 93 octane non ethanol fuel and add a bottle of octane boost for first start.

Rebuild brakes. The calipers may be seized. Remove all calipers, rebuild using new seals, flush rusty dot 3 fluid out and re-bleed entire system.

Flush cooling system, Replace all hoses(about a dozen or so). Replace 2 thermostats.(after likely helecoiling the 6 housing bolt female threads because of steel bolt to aluminum electrolysis). The water pump may need rebuild. The bearing seals are prone to failure afte a long duration of non use.

Change oil/filter. Pre-lube oil in engine by connecting fittings to side of block using a fabricated external pump/gauge setup. This will save the cams and cam rails from damage, along with complete engine prelubrication.

Spray penetrant at all 12 sparkplug thread wells and let sit for days. Carefully try to remove plugs using caution not to strip the threads in the aluminum heads. Place a few teaspoons or Marvel Mystery oil into each cylinder. Replace plugs with new. Check condition of plug wires for cracks. Replace if necessary.

Install new battery. DO NOT attempt to start using a high current battery charger.

If you attempt to drive it, replace tires & tubes. All 5 positions.

These are some of the basics you should do. Other issues like electrical connections being corroded will have to be checked as required. Lucas will haunt you in this area.

Good luck with getting it running. Once you get it in good running condition...........You may NOT want to sell it! It's a beautiful E-Type.

Rich

Old 09-15-2013, 04:22 PM
Received 125 Likes on 88 Posts

Rich - I second your comments. Sounds like you've been there (grin...). The one item I would add to the contents of Pandora's Box is a suggestion that if ignition problems rear their heads, the following may be a solution:
Reopus Ignition | The Lucas OPUS Ignition amplifier

Old 09-16-2013, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by SCMike
Rich - I second your comments. Sounds like you've been there (grin...). The one item I would add to the contents of Pandora's Box is a suggestion that if ignition problems rear their heads, the following may be a solution:
Reopus Ignition | The Lucas OPUS Ignition amplifier
Good info Mike...

Yes they're prone to failure especially earlier units that are located in the Vee. The relocation kits can move those to the front crossrail. Our '72 has it still in the stock position in the Vee, for the last 22 years which is amazing. The same unit.

When I first got the car I raised it up using some tubing as standoffs with longer mount screws. We had it JCNA judged many times and had to keep it there. The judges never noticed it raised though. However, I always keep a spare in the boot, along with other various spares.

This '73 should have it mounted on the front crossrail IIRC. The fans will help airflow. But that backfire he was having....Hmmmm, could be OPUS issues.

Rich

Old 09-16-2013, 10:53 AM

Currently on eBay

Last edited by 73xke; 10-21-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:54 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 73 E OTS .... a beauty for Sure....But How Much ?

Lad

Arizona car, first off, all it's life? That will speak volumes about body condition and potential restoration cost. Car appears to be a survivor. By that I mean an original unmolested probably one owner car. Title clean, matching numbers Engine, Trans and Body. Damage history!? Estate so title will be a bit more cumbersome. Service History ? Knowledge is power, information about that car, the more you can present means more money .

Don't try to start it until it has had some upper cylinder oil run thru without plugs installed. All Aluminum engine very costly to set right if overheated or run without proper Lubrication !!!!! -I would use a TV camera to inspect the cylinders before a start. Leaks under the car, where did the Jaguar mark its territory. Leaks on brakes, under transmission/engine etc.

More pictures of boot, under bonnet, interior, close up of wheels, just everything you can open, see under or inside of. Condition of leather, dry and cracked or just dry?

Potential buyers for the V12 are a bit more rare. This E-type got longer, fatter and less like the 3.8 that is in so much demand. I work on one that an owner wanted to put his stamp on and did thing like have the engine chrome plated, etc. Lower mileage motorcar but heavily molested, his car, his choice. He wanted to sell it but no one wants it at any price. His price is $100K USD. Not likely to ever see that much, but still nice car.

Don't get inflated ideas about the ones at auctions as they are usually fully restored or very original and pristine. Your car meet some of that but doesn't run and has been sitting. Before you could ever use it reliably it is going to need heavy freshening. Brakes, Ac if installed, all running gear, carb kits and balancing, u joints, rubber bits from suspension to interior.

That's the short list....so plan on a much more conservative return. It is a great place to start, but starting cost big bucks today.

I may be able to help you find a buyer, but in these times they will drive you nuts. They will try to steal it, as I would, simply because with out a patron, on spec this car could eat your house.

I speculate this would be worth $ 10000 max in this market, not because it is not a fine survivor, but because they just don't command the big bucks. I might pay $2000, only because I don't have a buyer and don't know what it will take to make it presentable.

I've done 10 0f these ( E-types ) for different people over the years but mostly for Doctors , lawyers and Such (Quoting Willie) with obscene disposable incomes. Buy this car for $10 k and you might easily spend $50- $100 k to get what you see at Barrett going for $55K at auction.

There you have it, I've tried to give you a fair image of your mission. Don't be down hearted, dig in and do some research and

Good Luck

Always willing to help

Robert

Old 10-09-2013, 06:14 AM
Received 4,458 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Luck on your side it's not a 2+2 with the damn ugly roof line...

If the market in the US is flat, then think about export to Europe, would definitely command a much higher price in Germany or Switzerland.

I know a guy in Switzerland who might be interested, send me a PM for his contact details. They love importing LHD cars from the US, especially the desert areas where the cars don't rust away like in Europe.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:05 AM

Guys, the seller wants a minimum of $15k out of the car. No haggle, it's the the bottom dollar. I guess I have to do what it takes to get us there. The interior is all there and the car is completely unmolested, just need to do some due diligence to show that the car is as complete as I mentioned. No leaks, still has fluids in it. I believe the car was from CA originally, but has been in AZ for decades.

We have someone coming locally to see it today. It's currently trailered in my garage.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious, where have you tried listing the vehicle for sale? locally or nationally?

Old 10-11-2013, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Want!

Old 10-12-2013, 12:47 PM

Probably going on eBay in the next week or so if something doesn't happen by then.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:39 PM

Hi. I'm new to the forum but I've been looking for an xke. Have a pristine 635 si that I'm planning to sell to cover the resto. Haven't fond a candidate locally. Been considering a 2+2 but love this car. I'd like to talk.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:41 PM

Just joined. Can't pm yet.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:12 PM

Owner replaced the radiator at some point.

Last edited by 73xke; 08-05-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:38 AM

Listed on Craigslist now too

Old 10-22-2013, 04:26 AM

I see that it sold via your Ebay Listing......

Are congratulations in order?

If so I feel both you and the buyer did well. It's a very nice example with great potential. I also feel you made the right decision to sell it as-is as these can be difficult to maintain and restore, particularly for those unfamiliar with their complexities and difficult component accessibility.

Rich

Old 10-22-2013, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Cambo351
Luck on your side it's not a 2+2 with the damn ugly roof line........
My wife loves her '72 2+2 for it's versatility, even though it may have a "unappealing" roofline to some and not as pretty as the OTS. She's always wanted a 2+2 and has enjoyed it for 22 years. Thankfully she still has the same mechanic who lives in the same house and is still available 24-7 when she has a problem with it.

Our 2 youngest of 3 sons were just the right size to fit the back seats, with the oldest son in the front passenger seat. She'd use it all the time back then. A few years ago those 2 younger boys(now each one a family man) and I took a road trip to the Sebring historic races 2 hours each way on the central Florida open roadways. They shared the driving and Dad was stretched out in the back seat! Truly a strange but enjoyable ride watching my 2 "kids" sharing the driving with me in the back, talking old times and having a great day. Couldn't have had that fun day with the boys if not for the 2+2.

Rich

Old 10-22-2013, 01:55 PM

Car sold in 21 minutes for 18,000. I've had multiple tell me that they would pay 22.5k for it after the fact. Some even said it could have hit mid 20's with the manual gearbox being the most valuable. In the end everyone seems happy.

The following users liked this post:
Norri (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 09:32 AM

I'm actually looking for a S3 2+2. I kind of like the tall greenhouse. . Maybe because I'm 6'6".

Quick Reply: Anybody willing to help appraise a 73 XKE?