E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Burl center piece & glove box?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 09:21 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Burl center piece & glove box?

I’m a purest but I have to say that in my opinion Jaguar could've done a better job on the dash for the Series II cars. The aluminum on the SI cars is very pretty. Has anyone installed or thought of installing the Burl center dash and glove box (see attached), both actually replace the current set-up, i.e., are not stick on pieces. Any thoughts on the topic? Thanks!

Old 04-11-2021, 08:00 AM
Received 111 Likes on 94 Posts

Hi Smonop,
I to am a purest on most things. But I have seen pictures of the whole dash being done in dark wood and it looks quite elegant. I have seen just the center panel done and it looks good too. But if it was just the center panel and glovebox door, I would think that would look a bit odd. If it was me, I would want the whole dash done in wood.

There is another company I know of that does car wood work and that is British Autowood.

P.S. Its your car and if you like a wood dash, do it. I can be easily be undone if you change your mind.

The following users liked this post:
midpac (04-12-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 08:40 AM
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

I think that would be a nice way to personalize your E-Type. Just save the original parts. Just in case. My only problem with the parts you show above, is that there isn't one for the speedo and tack portion of the dash. I think without that third piece it would look oddly unfinished.
Bill.

JagGuardian (04-15-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 07:19 PM

This site makes the full dash pieces, but I’m afraid to ask re pricing!

Jaguar_E_Type_Extra_Pics

Old 04-11-2021, 08:23 PM
Received 111 Likes on 94 Posts

Hi Smonop,
I'm sure it won't be cheap, but it will look great. Quality doesn't come cheap.

Old 04-13-2021, 04:44 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts

E-bay has wood and leather for the car as well. I put in a Piano Black wood centerpiece on my car and recovered the rest of the dash and the door cards in leather all from e-bay. I like the piano black because it blends in nicely with the rest of the black dash. It cost me $134 for the piece. I couldn't find another black one, but here is what they have in burled wood: Jaguar XKE E-Type Series 2 Center Dash Instrument Panel | eBay

Old 04-15-2021, 10:45 PM
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Why didn't Jaguar offer these as an option?

I found a guy on eBay who lives in Altamonte Springs, FL near Orlando who made three burl walnut on aluminum pieces for my S2 coupe. The piece for the gauge center cluster is just like the one you posted. It is held on with the two existing thumbscrews. He also made two door caps that match the center piece. I had to drill two holes for each door cap. Take caution to keep door cap centered & level. I have since added alligator to the dash and made a removable cover piece to my console.

My Series 2 burl walnut center gauge cluster.

The alligator has the same colors as the burl walnut.

Photo taken in bright daylight. My car is Regency Red.

These door caps are similar to mine. This one is a Series 3 interior.

This slides right over the S3 console.

Series 3 burl walnut console top

enderle (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 09:44 AM

Nicely done, very clean, love it!

Old 04-16-2021, 08:44 PM

You’re talking about Saul at British Autowood! I ordered 2 shift knobs from him, one for the XKE and the other for the XK!

My question is concerning the center piece from CG autowood. As opposed to Saul’s piece, CG’s piece replaces the existing black vinyl covered metal & wood piece. So has anyone removed the instrument dials, (which would need to be transferred to the new piece), how is it accomplished? Thanks!

Old 04-16-2021, 11:13 PM

The center piece fits right over the gauge cluster. No need to transfer gauges.

Old 04-17-2021, 09:14 AM

Yes, true of Saul’s and other pieces I’ve read about. When I e-mailed CG, the representative indicated that the piece replaces the current set up. Update - I just phoned CGautowood and confirmed that the center piece indeed replaces the current vinyl covered wooden piece. That’ll take some investigating on my part on how to accomplish!

Last edited by Smonop; 04-17-2021 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:15 AM

It's not that hard, but when I did mine I had to remove the center segment, after marking the wires and removed them, removed the switch panel and the metal-covered piece, screwed on the new wood piece, then reinstalled the gauges and switches, rewired everything and done. I think it took me something like 45 minutes to an hour. When you unscrew the retention for each gauge they just pop right out of the front. I was changing out the gauges and switches anyway so it was a nice little weekend project.

Old 04-17-2021, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by enderle
It's not that hard, but when I did mine I had to remove the center segment, after marking the wires and removed them, removed the switch panel and the metal-covered piece, screwed on the new wood piece, then reinstalled the gauges and switches, rewired everything and done. I think it took me something like 45 minutes to an hour. When you unscrew the retention for each gauge they just pop right out of the front. I was changing out the gauges and switches anyway so it was a nice little weekend project.
What do you mean, you had to remove the center segment? it has to come out anyway to be replaced, correct?

Old 04-19-2021, 02:00 PM
Default Clarification

Originally Posted by Smonop
What do you mean, you had to remove the center segment? it has to come out anyway to be replaced, correct?
I wasn't being clear enough, my apologies. You can just remove the covered metal piece or you can remove the entire pivoting switch/gauge segment. Since I was replacing all of the switches plus the switch holder I found it easier to remove the entire pivot piece. It made it much easier to work on. But you can replace the faceplate without removing the entire panel. The switch holder not so much. (Plus my pivot screws were rusted so it gave me a chance to replace those as well).

Old 05-04-2021, 08:45 PM

So, my shift knob and dash carpathian elm project is as complete as it can get for now. While I don’t have and haven’t been able to get a manufacturer to respond re a tach/speedo piece, I’m comfortable with the current look. Any and all opinions welcomed.

As an FYI, to install, the glovebox took the most work, if you can call it that. I had to drill holes for the glovebox metal stay (leveling) piece as well as for the door pull handle. The lock opening was tight and had to be sanded down to receive the lock mechanism. The gauge piece was straight forward as many pointed out above, upon removing the gauges and loosening the screws affixing the vinyl covered wooden piece to the metal backing, the wood came right out, allowing for installation of the new wood piece.

image2919×1297 965 KB

Last edited by Smonop; 05-04-2021 at 08:48 PM. Reason: added text
enderle (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 01:30 PM
Default Burl Walnut & Alligator Dash Accents

This is the latest evolution of my S2 dash board. I never understood why Jaguar put beautiful walnut woodwork in the other models, and never the E-Type; perhaps to keep down the price point. I wanted to "clean up" the look of my dash. I also did not like being able to see wires under the dash. It just did not look complete. First, I made a plaster casting/mold of the left top of my dash. Reversed it, and using fiberglass, made the driver's glove tray, similar, but more stout, to the S3 glove tray. Next, I extended the visual line continuing the ac vents to the passenger's door by fabricating a "filler" piece out of thick cardboard. I ordered three matching burl walnut pieces from "chap" on eBay: 2 door caps & the center gauge cluster piece that fits right on top of the original without replacing the gauges. Nice. The alligator is actually Italian leather stamped with an alligator pattern; bought on Etsy. I made a console covering out of thin luan wood, covered with the leather. It is snapped into place at the ash tray; no glue, tape, or screws. Yes, I do have a modern stereo that is blue tooth enabled, satellite radio, Pandora, sd card, iPod input, and even cd. I still listen to cds.

I am not a purist. My car has a S1 bonnet, S1 tail lights, Ansa style exhaust, LED back up lights, LED license plate light (my plate has been raised about an inch and a half.
My rear side markers were only reflectors, but now are functioning with LEDs. Engine bay: Triple SUs, Sanyo AC compressor, American high output alternator, electronic ignition, and other mods. The only original wire wheel is my spare. The four on the ground are wider. Tinted window. This car won a trophy in last year's Jaguar Owners of North Texas 50th Concours in the Display Category.

I have owned it for 20 years. XKEs were always one of my dream cars.

I made a new ignition switch panel to cover gap at steering column & ignition switch.

Burl walnut door caps & center gauge cluster. Matching alligator at ignition switch, under center guage cluster, and glove box.

Alligator trim plate slides under center gauge cluster panel.

I made this under dash glove tray using fiberglass mold of dash pad.

I made the end piece to hide the ugly mechanicals under the glove box.

I made the console topper out of thin wood, covered with alligator leather.

Luggage flooring covered in alligator naugahyde.

My Series 2 burl walnut center gauge cluster.

enderle (05-05-2021)
Old 05-08-2021, 10:35 PM
Default Look what I found.

This website might have what you are needing: https://britishautowood.com/jaguar-e-type-%2F-xke