E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Chip Foose E Type Rendering.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2020 | 08:30 PM
|
Veteran Member
Default Chip Foose E Type Rendering.

Having read the article, and watching the video of the Illustration, Chip Foose has done on the E type Coupe. I'm just not so sure you should mess with it, as least not as much as he is. I've never been a fan of the huge wheels, and rubber band tires look. And then dropping the car over them so you can't see a 1/3 of the tire. It gives it kind of a bathtub Nash look. It just doesn't feel right. Sometimes you can improve things, and sometimes you can't. While this will be an interesting take on an E Type. I don't believe it will be any better then the original, and most likely not as good. So I was always taught if you can't make something better. Then leave it alone! Even if you are Chip Foose.

Just my thoughts.

Jack

The following users liked this post:
Doug (06-03-2020)
Old 06-03-2020 | 06:25 AM

I have seen the E-Type roadster that Chip Foose had on display at SEMA last November. I thought he did an OK job with the roadster, but like you, I didn't think that the wheel and tire choice made the car look good. Not every car benefits from the large diameter wheels and rubber band tires. I have an E-Type coupe and prefer coupes to roadsters. I would like to see the Foose rendering of the coupe. Do you have a link for it?
Thanks and stay safe.
Bill.

Old 06-03-2020 | 08:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 89 Jacobra
I've never been a fan of the huge wheels, and rubber band tires look.

I've never been a fan of the rubber band tire thing. Even if I was a fan I'd have to say that, as a 'look', I think it has become worn out and tired.

I've seen so many classic cars ruined by going overboard in the wheel-tire department. Often a small size upgrade looks good but some people just don't know when to stop.

Wheels are supposed to compliment the styling of the car, not be the focal point. The idea is that the whole car looks great and a viewer would eventually say, "Those wheels really help the look".

If the first reaction is "Wow, look at those wheels" it's a sure sign you've gone too far.

Just my two cents, naturally

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
89 Jacobra (06-03-2020)
Old 06-03-2020 | 02:00 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daytona
I have seen the E-Type roadster that Chip Foose had on display at SEMA last November. I thought he did an OK job with the roadster, but like you, I didn't think that the wheel and tire choice made the car look good. Not every car benefits from the large diameter wheels and rubber band tires. I have an E-Type coupe and prefer coupes to roadsters. I would like to see the Foose rendering of the coupe. Do you have a link for it?
Thanks and stay safe.
Bill.

To get to the story, Go to the top of the page, upper left hand corner, where it says Jaguar Forums . Com. Click on that, and it will take you to the home page. Then scroll down a little, and it should be the top story with a picture of the restyled Coupe in Silver. Click on the rendering, and it will take you to the story, and video.

Hope you find it.

Jack

Old 06-03-2020 | 02:58 PM

Thanks Jack,
I saw the rendering, read the editorial, and watched the video.
I have a lot of respect for Chip Foose and the work he has done. I even kind of like the work he did on the E-Type roadster. But the FHC??? I think it is fugly. It just does not work for me. The wheels are too big, the roof line is to low with respect to the height of the top of the bonnet, and the highlighted detail just before the rear fender bulge completely changes the profile of the car. Maybe is just the way he did the shading, but just the same, I don't like it.
If Chip is going to do a FHC following the rendering that he did; I hope he doesn't do it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Daytona:
89 Jacobra (06-03-2020), enderle (06-07-2020)
Old 07-05-2020 | 07:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 89 Jacobra
Having read the article, and watching the video of the Illustration, Chip Foose has done on the E type Coupe. I'm just not so sure you should mess with it, as least not as much as he is. I've never been a fan of the huge wheels, and rubber band tires look. And then dropping the car over them so you can't see a 1/3 of the tire. It gives it kind of a bathtub Nash look. It just doesn't feel right. Sometimes you can improve things, and sometimes you can't. While this will be an interesting take on an E Type. I don't believe it will be any better then the original, and most likely not as good. So I was always taught if you can't make something better. Then leave it alone! Even if you are Chip Foose.

Just my thoughts.

Jack
Enzo Ferrari thought the XKE was the most beautiful car ever produced.
Chip Foose May have a following but I’ll bet it’s nothing like that of Enzo Ferrari.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mguar:
89 Jacobra (07-05-2020), TX69XKE (09-03-2020)