E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Conversion from wire wheels to alloy wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 11:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Conversion from wire wheels to alloy wheels

I have been shopping for an Series II E-type for a while, and occasionally one is offered with steel wheels instead of wire wheels. Was that a lower-cost option when ordering the E-type?

Anyway - one of these days I will win one of these auctions and be blessed with E-type ownership. I LIKE the look of wire wheels, but my car will be a driver and not a show piece. I just don't want the maintenance and cleaning and inspection that wires require.

What does it take to convert the center-splined system to a 5-bolt? Ultimately, my eyes are on a nice set of alloy aluminum wheels. Not unlike the XKE's I have seen racing. So sharp looking!

Carl
1978 Supercharged Porsche 928 "The Meg"

Old 03-24-2022, 12:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I searched before and found nothing, that's why I posted. But now I found this:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/e...f-5-lug-97136/

So I think I have what I need. No further questions.

Old 03-25-2022, 04:22 AM
Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

Just one thing - wire wheels don't have to be a pain to keep clean. MWS do a great cleaner. You brush it on, wait 5 minutes, and hose off. You then brush on a "sealer" and just leave. Wheels come up great, take 15 minutes to do in total, and you only need to do it a couple of times a year.

Here's a quick before and after:

Old 03-25-2022, 01:29 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts

Be aware it is really hard to find the replacements for the splined hubs. All the sources I had in Europe and the US were out when I did my car and I instead had to go to custom splined wheels out of England. Not a cheap date and a bit of a pain to get through customs. You can find the splined steel racing wheels but I never cared for the look. My old '64 XKE race car, which had the wires, really turned me off wires as it would often break spokes on acceleration and replacing them was a real pain because you have to re-true the wheel and need a special jig and toolset to do that right (and at the time there was just one old guy, who I'm sure has since passed, in my area that could do this and he was always backed up). This the company I got the wheels custom made from. I think it took around 4 months to get them done. https://www.imagewheels.co.uk/ Image Wheels International Ltd

Unit 3, Fountain Lane,

Tipton

West Midlands. England GB

DY4 9HA

Company Registration No. 2296565

VAT Registration No. GB 488273990

Old 03-26-2022, 10:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you share more information on MWS? IS that the company name or product name. The wheels look great and it would be great if i could get mine to look like that

Old 03-26-2022, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by SeansJagAdventure
Can you share more information on MWS? IS that the company name or product name. The wheels look great and it would be great if i could get mine to look like that
MWS stands for Motor Wheel Services and is based in the UK. Here is their website.
MWS
The menu bar at the top seems not to work, but the left-side menu seems OK.

The following users liked this post:
SeansJagAdventure (03-30-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 03:43 AM
Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SeansJagAdventure
Sorry I didn't get back earlier - been away on a trip in the E Type with 15 other Jags from the JDC. Here's the E parked outside Esseborne Manor where we stayed the night, next to a lovely XKR Dynamic

Anyway, yes, that is the name of the company. Motor Wheel Services. Here is a link to the product: Motor Wheel Service - Motor Wheel Service

Of course I don't know what it might cost to send overseas.

Old 03-28-2022, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement 5-bolt wheel hubs

Changing from knock offs to 5-bolt wheel hubs is not difficult, either with reproductions or OEM parts. I still have a full set off a Series III E-Type that came with the car since the PO changed from 5-bolt to wire wheels and knock off hubs. PM me when you get your E-Type if you decide to go that way.

Old 04-23-2023, 05:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still have the hubs?

Originally Posted by Medindy
Changing from knock offs to 5-bolt wheel hubs is not difficult, either with reproductions or OEM parts. I still have a full set oN a Series III E-Type that came with the car since the PO changed from 5-bolt to wire wheels and knock off hubs. PM me when you get your E-Type if you decide to go that way.
Hi. Do you still have the 5 bolt hubs from that Series 3? Thanks.