E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Crankcase vent for XKE

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017 | 04:26 PM
|
Default Crankcase vent for XKE

the xke always had a POOR crankcase venting system, it just wasn't positive!
Having a hose connected to the carb intake breathers supplies very little vacuum
to the crankcase. A major improvement is.... If you connect a $3.00 crankcase vent valve from a modern car
(6cyl chev or ford) to the hose that comes from the front of the head on a e type and the other end of the hose to a vacuum source AT THE INTAKE MANIFOLD
(not the air breathers) you will have a much cleaner running engine. BUT you must supply a place for clean air to come into the engine ! I put two 3/8" fittings on my valve covers and connected them to small hidden air filters.
I tested my old existing XKE system and got as much as 5psi of crankcase pressure ! this is way to much and will force oil out of your crank seals, dip stick, valve covers and many other places ! By installing a proper PCV system all the condensation that collects in your oil is removed and your oil remains cleaner longer ! All the (don't change the original system) guys can perform this modification so that it doesn't show.

Last edited by GGG; 10-20-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-05-2019 | 08:10 PM

Hi,

I see this is an old thread but I've been thinking of doing this to my 62 E since there doesn't seem to be any air intake for crankcase ventilation, unlike my Sprite and two American V8s all of which have an intake for air as well as a crankcase outlet hose leading to vacuum.

I now have a spare cam cover and was intending to weld a 3/8" fitting to the rear of it with a tube/hose and filter to allow for air intake. Hopefully it would draw air down the rear oil return to at lease some extent. Then adding the PCV valve to the breather tube going to the air box.

How has this worked out for you and do you think one cam cover vent is enough?

Any pictures would be great.

Thanks

Old 10-19-2019 | 07:01 PM
|

I drilled and tapped 3/8" my valve covers(both) to let air into the engine and connected my modern PCV valve to the intake manifold (not the Air cleaner intake).

This keeps your oil clean and stops the typical oil drips on the floor where oil has been forced by the seals by excessive crankcase pressure.

Also check-out any racing XKE, they have huge vents in the valve covers!

Old 10-19-2019 | 07:08 PM

Thanks for the response.

I have a 62 S1 and don't see any vacuum inlets on the intake manifold to connect the front breather to. Did you create an inlet on the intake manifold or carb?

My breather runs to the air box the carbs draw from per stock.

What did you put on the intake vents where you tapped the cam covers?

Any pictures.

Old 10-20-2019 | 11:12 AM

I do have the vacuum inlet for the power brake booster tank at the firewall end of the intake. Could put a "Y" on it and use it with an oil separator in line from the front breather. Do you think it would be appropriate and would it continue to supply adequate vacuum to the booster vacuum tank?

Old 10-20-2019 | 06:33 PM
|

NO DO NOT TEE INTO BRAKE BOOSTER. the vacuum connection for positive crankcase ventilation must be separate at the intake manifold (usually opisate ends of manifold). I attached two GM type inner breather elements to the ends of the hoses and hid them down behind the back of the engine.

Old 10-20-2019 | 06:44 PM

No other vacuum connection on the manifold rail on this car. This is an early car with the multi piece manifold. Opposite end of the manifold is just smooth casting.
Not sure what those breather are but just some little round air filters I assume?
Thinking the fitting would be on the inner portion of the cam cover and 90degree to the rear.
A picture of your inlet filters and vacuum setup would be much appreciated.
Thanks