E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Decrepit 4.2 Series 2 Coupe LHD Valuation

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 07:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decrepit 4.2 Series 2 Coupe LHD Valuation

I spotted this e-type in 2011 up here in Canada a while back and a quick search on Google Maps reveals that it's still there and hasn't moved an inch. I'm contemplating hunting down the owner to see if he's interested in selling it, but I haven't the slightest idea what it's worth.

I've got the time, means, skill set, and tools to turn this into a project, but is it even worth it - or rather at what purchase price would it be worth it? Without even knowing the condition of the drive-train you can already see the body alone will need hundreds if not thousands of hours to bring back to life.

I've rebuilt air cooled 911's but the aftermarket for parts is astronomical; within an hours drive there are two recyclers with enough inventory to build 100 cars from parts. What is it like sourcing parts for these Jags?

I guess the long and short of it is: what would this car be worth if I brought it back to life, and what is it worth in its current state?

It'd be a hell of build thread if I did it, no?

Old 04-07-2016, 08:53 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

First thing to keep in mind is that it costs the same to restore any e-type but the end values will vary dramatically based on the year(series) and model. IIRC, Series1 (61-67) are worth more than Series2 (68-71) which are worth more than Series3. Then the verts (OTS) are worth more than the coupes (FHC) which are worth more than the 2+2s.

Net-net, you can spend $100k restoring a Series1 OTS and have a $300k car or you can spend that same $100k restoring a Series2 2+2 and have a nice $31,200 car.

That looks like a 2+2 to me, not a coupe but there aren't any interior or profile images so I could be wrong. There is a 25% drop in value going from a FHC to a 2+2 so it matters a lot. North American 2+2s also likely have slush boxes which reduces value as well by 10% according to Hagerty.

Parts availability is very good. IIRC every panel except the 2+2 roofs are reproduced using original tooling by Martin Robey and available via the usuals (XKS Unlimited, SNG Barrett, Welsh Enterprises, Terry's Jaguar Parts) in the States. Monocoque Metalworks has upgraded sheet metal parts as well.

Hope that helps. Lots of rust and bondo there and given that these are unibodies you may need to build jigs as you may end up for all intent and purposes building a whole new body.

Jim

Old 04-07-2016, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,455 Likes on 1,951 Posts

It looks like a 2+2 to me too. If so, it looks too far gone for a restoration to be economic. It is, of course, possible as one can almost assemble an E-type from parts nowadays, even complete bodyshells are available as vrracing says. If it was an OTS, I'd say have a go, but its not worth spending a fortune on that particular car, I'd say.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:33 AM
Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

As mentioned, everything can be repaired or replaced, but since it is a series II 2+2 profit should not be what motivates you. A 2+2 has only one advantage and that is bigger people can fit in them easier. If you enjoy tinkering, bodywork and rebuilding and do not mind putting in many hours and lots of $ to end up with a drivable car worth 30 - 40G, then sure, go for it. As far as what it is worth as it sits rusting away... 6 - 10 grand but most people that own these projects think they are worth much more.
My advice...walk away.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if the owner has received numerous offers. He probably thinks that they have all been "too low". Anyone seriously looking for an old car to fix up has run into this many, many times. The glut of tv show shows featuring barn finds, etc. hasn't helped. I'll bet this car could have been sold to a restorer years ago. It's a real shame.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:08 AM

Even with today's crazy values, a Series 2 2+2 in this condition is still worth nothing. As a parts car, it's maybe worth $5k (if the engine and transmission are not seized).

Old 04-09-2016, 11:54 PM

If you decide to hunt the owner down & some of these ideas come to fruition (he's heard tons of "low" offers, etc) than the only real question is how many people actually came with cold hard cash? Not a check...cash. I know what your thinking...what difference does it make, check or cash (or wire for that matter)? Just think of the guy in your town that simply leaves old Chevy's, Ford's, Cadillac's, the list goes on...he leaves them strewn around his yard year after year after year. The ONLY thing that motivates an unmotivated person is cold hard cash. They don't need to see you ever again...it's anonymous! Your guy simply has the Jag because he either inherited it, a guy broke down and LEFT it there because it was too expensive to fix..who knows. But it's still just a car...sitting there waiting for that ONE person to show true interest & start their new journey together with CASH acting as the needed squirt of Water Dispersion Formula - Attempt #40.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:57 AM

MechEng. I had seen this car every time I was in Kingston for about 10 years or so, just sitting there melting into the ground. And there used to be some model of early sixties Healy sitting beside it. The Healy left, but the E-Type remained. I approached the owner about 5 years ago, wanting to buy it. Believe me, unless you had a new shell, you couldn't even begin to restore this car. But it was all there, and all I wanted was the all synchro box and assorted parts for my 63 roadster. The owner said he would "think about it". Anyway, a short time later it dissapeared and appeared at a local car shop that works on European cars. I asked at the shop the story on the car, and the mechanic said the owner wanted to restore it. Wow! Now that would be an undertaking. That's the last time I saw the car. I don't know where it went............Jim...........