E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Do I need a new clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need a new clutch?

I've a clutch problem on my SII etype.

From cold the clutch works fine. After 15 miles, forward gear changes become clunky and reverse gear grates when I try to engage it - although I still get away with engaging reverse with the engine off, depressing the clutch and starting the engine (without the car jolting backwards). The clutch does not slip, even when encouraged.

I've changed the master and slave cylinders and there is a good pedal when cold and warm. The adjustable bar from the slave cylinder is fully adjusted. Looking underneath, the slave is working fine (hot and cold).

So, to me, the clutch etc needs renewing. However, as I'm not exactly enthusiastic about taking the engine out, I wondered if anyone has any less onerous possible causes I could investigate first?

Cheers, John

Old 08-22-2017, 01:43 AM

Clutch is not fully disengaging if non-synchro reverse is grinding.

Old 08-25-2017, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Hmm, have you fully bled the hydraulic line ? A slipping clutch normally means a new clutch is needed, but a dragging or spinning clutch is usually the withdrawal mechanism somewhere. You've replace the two cylinders, but were they new stock or new "old stock", i.e. have been on the shelf for years and years unused ?

Old 08-28-2017, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

+1 on Fraser's advice . . . clutch is dragging, not slipping.

Best wishes,

Ken

Old 10-17-2017, 08:37 AM

on mine, I used to have to bleed the slave cylinder in a few places, not just @ the Slave, but on the connections running along the firewall - this helped in the short run, but ultimately for my car, The throw out bearing was going, and finally disintegrated to the point of jumping off the clutch fork, so new clutch / replacement was necessary.