E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

E type with (don’t hate me!) LS

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 11:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default E type with (don’t hate me!) LS

Hi,
I am in the hunt for a Jaguar Etype that’s in project condition — ideally missing its engine. I would like to build an E type that is powered by a reliable engine. I was strongly considering the GM LS.
I’ve been looking up this subject on the internet, but haven’t found any. Found some with old Ford V8s. Are there any fitment issues with the LS series?
Or would it require structural modification that would result in questionable registration issues and/or difficulties in returning the car to its Jaguar powertrain (if someone wants to restore it to original)? And Yes, I am aware of the car value implications that would result in!

I am also considering the earlier XK cars (XK120, XK140, XK150), if LS would fit there.

Another powertrain candidate is the Toyota UZ V8 (from Lexus LS400 sedan) - although it’s got way less aftermarket support.

Any clarification/help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Sincerely,
Mohamed

Old 07-17-2020, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

The XK engines in the E-type are reliable so why change ? The problem you'll probably find is the engine cradles that support the whole front of the car including the suspension, as well as the engine, and won't allow a V8 to go in without a lot of cutting and welding. E-types have been lumped in the past, but not many because it is a total value killer and rather difficult, unlike fitting one to the XJ saloon where you have plenty of room, as a V12 was a Jaguar fitment as well as the straight six.
Lumping any of the other cars you mention will make them almost worthless.

The following 2 users liked this post by Fraser Mitchell:
JagGuardian (08-28-2020), NBCat (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 04:40 PM
Received 2,675 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Fewer mental gymnastics and much less expensive to buy camaro/corvette.

The following 2 users liked this post by NBCat:
avern1 (08-13-2020), JagGuardian (08-28-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 07:07 AM
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Hi Mohamed,
What you want to do has been done before. In fact there is at least on thread here regarding an E-Type restomod. However, I would not go into all the required trouble to install an LS or other V8 for the purpose of improving reliability. The XK engine is very reliable, the "unreliable" aspect of the car had to do with the electrical system around the engine. And even this, I think it came from people trying to improve on Lucas. I have a 68 FHC that I have owned for 39 years. It has never left me on the side of the road. My wife drove it every day while attending college, and then it became my every day driver for work (45 miles each way) for 3 1/2 years.
If you are looking to install a V8 for the sake of power and bottom end torque, that is another issue all together. As for returning the car to stock after such a modification, it can be done, but I say this in the sense that you can accomplish anything if you throw enough money at it. It would not be a practical. Not like improving the brakes, installing a 5 speed gear box and modern alternator. These are all mods that are relatively easy to return to original (nut and bolt, not structural). By the way, this is what I am doing to my 68 which is under full restoration at the moment.
Ebay has V8 powered E-types once in a while. I suggest that you drive one first and compare to a well sorted original E-Type. If what you want is V8 power? go for it, there is no substitute for cubic inches. If you want reliability; I would consider a well sorted E-Type with new/modernized electrical or even one with an XK fuel injected engine from an XJ6.
Which ever way you chose to go, make sure you post some pictures here and let us know how you like it. Good luck and stay safe.
Bill.

Old 07-18-2020, 12:22 PM
Received 681 Likes on 490 Posts

You can look at my thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/e...ect-v8-196591/. I worked in a Jaguar shop as a kid and always wanted to do a V8 swap and bought an old V8 swap car for cheap to play with. I'll be swapping the 350 I have in it now for an LS-7 or LT-1 (I want to do the 1 the shop wants to do the 7) over the winter. This is my 3rd E-Type, I've had a '68 that was pretty much stock (and surprisingly reliable except for a brake problem that ended up in a crash), and a '64 that I bought already modified with a race Jaguar 6 and side draft webbers that was a nightmare to keep running. But an LS or newer LT is going to be pretty much as reliable as a new car if you change out the fuel system and rewire it as well as changing the engine (in fact, with the LS you'll need to redo the fuel system much like I did with mine when I added Fuel Injection). I would suggest starting with a swap car though because starting from scratch is not only more expensive you'll end up learning the hard way what works and what doesn't. These cars show up on Bring a Trailer and eBay from time to time. There was an LS swap car that sold at auction for around $75K that was in surprisingly good shape that pops up on eBay as the new owner tries to sell it for $150K (well over the market for now but Millennials love these things so the prices have been trending up). I'd recommend a Series III, I did a Series II myself, but the Series IIIs aren't worth as much, they are larger so you end up with not only an easier build but a far more comfortable car, and there are more of them with steel lug nut wheels so you can more cheaply go to wider tires without dealing with the damn spokes (which don't handle a lot of power well, that '64 I had was snapping spokes all the damn time). Oh and you want a car with Posi-Trac or you'll just cook one tire under acceleration. The rear ends on these things are pretty beefy. You'll need to think through things like gauges and whether you want an automatic or manual. Many of the shops that do restomods can do the work, and if you have an understanding restoration shop they can do it as well. I'd recommend a crate engine transmission because it will save you a ton of labor even though it costs a lot more than a pull-out. These new engines are electronic beasts and the crate engines are designed to go into cars that weren't designed for them, the pull-outs not so much. Certainly, if you are on a budget and doing much of the work yourself this can all be sorted but getting the gremlins out could become problematic. (Holley doesn't support the 6-8-10 speed automatics yet but if you go with the electronic 4 you can use one of their electronic ECU solutions to get a similar experience to a Crate engine with a pull out). The Crate engines generally have really decent warranties as well. Finally, had I thought my own project through more I would have saved money by doing the LS over the 350 because the LS doesn't need to have the cowl modified, while a Chevy is kind of a nightmare to get to fit (in my own defense the car arrived with a Chevy 327 and, initially, I was just trying to turn it into a driver and got carried away). Good luck and do post your progress!

Old 07-20-2020, 07:31 PM

Here is the kind of thing I was suggesting, when they show up they are pretty reasonable (and certainly cheaper than a car with the stock engine): http://dailyturismo.com/auction-watc...uar-e-type-v8/
I'm clearly procrastinating today so here is another: https://burbbble.com/car-deal-findin...-jaguar-e-type
Now this is closer to what I would suggest starting with (wonder if it is still available?): 1973 Jaguar E type XKE V12 Roadster Small block Chevrolet V8 conversion
Here is a typical 2+2 which is the most common swap I've seen (I'd rather have a roadster myself): 1971 Jaguar XKE E Type V8 NO RESERVE
And this is what shows up on eBay from time to time: https://barnfinds.com/v8-powered-1963-jaguar-e-type/

Anyway time for my dinner before I start thinking it would be fun to start another project like this. Good hunting! (Oh and I just found the video of the LS XKE that sold at auction for $75K and they were trying to get $150K for: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

Last edited by enderle; 07-20-2020 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1973 XKE 2+2 propelled by a 350/335hp GM crate engine with a mild cam and Hedman Headers. My guess is that it puts out about 350 hp. It is coupled to a Chevrolet 700R4 transmission. That is a four speed automatic with overdrive. The wider frame rail of the 1973 makes the engine transplant much easier. I bought a conversion kit from John's Cars in Dallas many years ago. It included the wiring interface and a recalibrating of the tach. The engine has about 3/4" clearance beneath the bonnet. It is a wonderful car to drive. At seventy mph it turns about 2K rpm. I bought the the car originally for 21K mainly for the beautiful block sanded paint job and decent interior. I think it is a wonderful solution and I have never seen another out on the street although I know they exist. Here are exterior and engine bay images.

Old 08-09-2020, 02:36 PM

Very clean! Again showcases I should have started with a Series III myself a ton less work particularly if you are going Chevy and not Ford. Nice job!

Old 08-09-2020, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by enderle
Very clean! Again showcases I should have started with a Series III myself a ton less work particularly if you are going Chevy and not Ford. Nice job!
Here in the Montana mountains it doesn't get out much. It is a wonderful cruiser. I am now working on a 2008 XKR Portfolio. Also a wonderful car. Tremendous acceleration. I can't imagine what the latter 550 hp versions must be like.

Old 08-10-2020, 12:32 PM

I had a 2004 Portfolio XKR and agree they are a hoot (I modified the heck out of mine), have a 2014 F-Type V8 S and it is both more fun and a lot scarier to drive. Great top-down cars!

Old 08-13-2020, 02:03 PM
Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by W Mitty
I have a 1973 XKE 2+2 propelled by a 350/335hp GM crate engine with a mild cam and Hedman Headers. My guess is that it puts out about 350 hp. It is coupled to a Chevrolet 700R4 transmission. That is a four speed automatic with overdrive. The wider frame rail of the 1973 makes the engine transplant much easier. I bought a conversion kit from John's Cars in Dallas many years ago. It included the wiring interface and a recalibrating of the tach. The engine has about 3/4" clearance beneath the bonnet. It is a wonderful car to drive. At seventy mph it turns about 2K rpm. I bought the the car originally for 21K mainly for the beautiful block sanded paint job and decent interior. I think it is a wonderful solution and I have never seen another out on the street although I know they exist. Here are exterior and engine bay images.

Cool. I recently bought a '71 Coupe with the 350/350 crate engine and 700R4. It was converted with the John's kit and restored in the mid 90's but has been sitting up for about 5-6 years. I have not started on it yet but shouldn't take much to have a nice driver. Glad to hear that you enjoy driving it. For some reason your pictures are not coming up but I would love to see it.