E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Electrical anomaly

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013 | 09:33 PM
|
Default Electrical anomaly

Hello all Ijust purchased a very nice 70 series 2 4.2. Runs great but I have an electrical gremlin as follows. Thanks in advance for all suggestions it's great to be in this universe of Jags.

It blows a 50 amp horn/tach etc. fuse when I engage the side lamp/head lamp switch. So I've run out of 50 amp fuses (which I've found on eBay for about $5 apiece) and wondering where I might begin to solve this electrical gremlin.

All and any input is appreciated.

Thanks friends.

Old 11-08-2013 | 04:59 PM

Hi Vagt6,

Seems like an odd issue. But knowing that these cars weren't always carefully maintained, I'm not surprised.

I assume the headlamps (dip) don't switch on when you turn the switch.

Two things must be the case.

A mis wiring in behind the central dashboard. Compare the color codes with a proper workshop manual.
You mst have a short in the wiring. Pull the multiplug on the bonnet. If you don't blow a fuse, you can rule upt the harness inside the bonnet.

Good luck!

Old 11-09-2013 | 05:44 AM
|

Originally Posted by lbink
Hi Vagt6,

Seems like an odd issue. But knowing that these cars weren't always carefully maintained, I'm not surprised.

I assume the headlamps (dip) don't switch on when you turn the switch.

Two things must be the case.

A mis wiring in behind the central dashboard. Compare the color codes with a proper workshop manual.
You mst have a short in the wiring. Pull the multiplug on the bonnet. If you don't blow a fuse, you can rule upt the harness inside the bonnet.

Good luck!
lbink thanks for the input! Well, I fixed the initial problem, above, it was a loose contact on the fuse block. However, now my headlamps are twitchy and low beams don't work at times. BTW wiring in this car is like new, as it is a concours car. I'm beginning to think it may be the headlamp switch.

How may I test the headlamp switch? At least this isn't a fatal problem, I seldom use the lights anyway.

I appreciate your help, thanks very much.

--Mark in Charlottesville