E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Engine Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2023 | 03:38 PM
|
Default Engine Vibration

Hello, Tim here from Detroit, MI. I am a new subscriber so here is a little about me. I have a '64 E-type FHC that I have owned now for 50 yrs wait am I that old? ( I discovered the SI, in pretty bad shape in my dads warehouse in HS and after a summer of hard work it became my senior year driver. Back then I had to park on an incline to jump start it until I figured out how to replace the starter solenoid. (made for very stressful dates . Any way, fast forward... after driving a little aggressive at the recent Woodward Dream Cruise I noticed a vibration coming from the engine and continuing behind the seat and in the steering. This happens standing still in neutral when revving the engine or driving. I thought the propellor shaft but now feel that is engine relate.. mounts or a balancing issue?

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

TJP

Old 08-25-2023 | 04:30 PM

Hi TJP,
Until I read your last couple of sentences I was thinking that you had a bad U-joint but, being that it happens in neutral that leaves the propeller shaft/u-joints out. Has the oil pressure dropped at all? Are there any new sound/nose from the engine? Has the engine been rebuilt? Does it have the original connecting rod bolts/nuts and cotter pins? I'm thinking maybe a connecting rod bolt/nut has loosened up. But first check the engine mounts and engine stabilizer at the back of the engine. Also check the harmonic balancer. lastly drain the engine oil and for broken cotter pins.

Hope you had fun at the WDC, first one i missed in many years.

Old 08-26-2023 | 07:49 AM

Hello Tim.
My money is on a broken motor mount. Rev the engine with the bonnet open and see if you t rocks.

Old 08-26-2023 | 06:17 PM
|

Bob, Thank you for the reply. Oil pressure: The gauge shows low but has been inconsistent..I would have to say yes in general. No new sounds from the engine. The engine was rebuilt around 12 years ago and not many miles since. The restoration include some frame repair/welding and assuming new mounts (they look newer). Connecting rod bolts/nuts and cotter pins: I am not sure where to even look to be honest..I will study my manual and report back. Engine stabilizer seems solid. Harmonic balancer: I will need to get educated on that as well and get back as well as, drain the oil.

Thanks again for the advice and education. Tim

Old 08-26-2023 | 06:21 PM
|

John, Had it the bonnet opened and revved the engine yesterday after replacing the tach generator and fresh gear oil ( great to have the tach working again) actually yes it does rock for sure. Will get a closer look at the mounts.

Thank you!

Tim

Old 08-28-2023 | 07:32 PM

First thing I would do is remove all the engine belts. Then start the engine and see if the problem goes away. Don't worry, it won't hurt anything to do this for a minute or two. This will tell you whether the engine itself or an ancillary is causing the vibration.