E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Exhaust system recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2022, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust system recommendations

Hi all,

First timer here! I picked up my 1968 S1.5 2+2 a few weeks back and now it's up on my lift it's clear the full exhaust system needs replacing. I have had a few people recommend the SNG system. Is that a general view or should I look at any alternatives?

Thanks!

Old 10-10-2022, 07:07 AM
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome LoneTreeXKE,
I have a Bell stainless system in my 68 FHC. It's been in the car for more than 25 years and is still in excellent condition. I also have a newer (Unknown brand) stainless system in a 67 OTS. The one on the OTS seems to be made of thiner wall pipes and does not sound as good. It has an annoying resonance that starts at about 3000RPM and above.
I think all of the usual suppliers sell a stainless exhaust system. Just make sure not to buy one of the thin wall systems. The stainless systems will last a very long time, so it is worth buying a good one.
good luck and enjoy your E-Type.
Bill.

Old 10-10-2022, 10:17 AM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

I’ve been looking just at resonators and perused the the Classic Jaguar site, parts are not cheap but are made to the original specifications. Link below:

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic...s-reintroduced

Old 10-11-2022, 05:23 AM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I chose ClassicFabs

Old 10-11-2022, 07:21 AM

Hi Mike,
Thanks for sharing your exhaust choice. That looks like a very nice setup. have you installed it yet. If so, can you share your opinion on the sound? Any resonance at higher RPMs? What series car do you have it in, a coupe or roadster? Did you import it your self or did you buy it from a company in the US?
Thanks.
bill.

Old 10-11-2022, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Daytona
Hi Mike,
Thanks for sharing your exhaust choice. That looks like a very nice setup. have you installed it yet. If so, can you share your opinion on the sound? Any resonance at higher RPMs? What series car do you have it in, a coupe or roadster? Did you import it your self or did you buy it from a company in the US?
Thanks.
bill.
here are the headers during a trial fit. We were checking that they played nicely with the AC and Generator from Clayton Classics.

The headers were ceramic coated on the inside (as was the first section of pipe). The intent was to keep as much heat out of the engine bay as possible. The coating is actually intended fro diesel truck cast iron exhaust manifolds both for heat and to supply a smoother interior surface (the coating is quite thick).

The car is mostly done but we are being delayed by getting the chrome completed. I'll upload a short video of the first run and post a link shortly.

Old 10-11-2022, 07:47 AM

Here is the first run of the engine with the exhaust. It is worth viewing on something that has good speakers and turn it up

Old 10-11-2022, 08:03 AM

Here is a picture of the engine in the car.

Yes, I do import things myself. You can contact James Stewart here: classicfabs@classicfabs.co.uk if you want to chat with them. If you proceed, you can pay by international money order in pounds. (Likely a good deal just ATM)

I can also recommend the Accusump oil accumulator that you can see in the picture at the front of the engine. I'm not worried about or starvation, but I really wanted to pre-pressurize the oil system prior to starting the car because I store it over winter and it can sit for a week or so between starts.

Old 10-11-2022, 09:30 AM

Hi Mike,
Thanks for sharing and posting the photos and video. The car really sounds great. When do you think you'll have it on the road? I am curious to know how the exhaust sounds inside the car.
Right now, I am thinking about removing the exhaust system from the OTS and replacing it with the exhaust system from the FHC. That way I have a driver with a good sound, and when the time comes to install the engine in the coupe...I'll decide then which system to install.
So please, let us know how the car runs and sounds when you get it on the road.
Thanks again'
Bill.

Old 10-11-2022, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Daytona
Hi Mike,
Thanks for sharing and posting the photos and video. The car really sounds great. When do you think you'll have it on the road? I am curious to know how the exhaust sounds inside the car.
Right now, I am thinking about removing the exhaust system from the OTS and replacing it with the exhaust system from the FHC. That way I have a driver with a good sound, and when the time comes to install the engine in the coupe...I'll decide then which system to install.
So please, let us know how the car runs and sounds when you get it on the road.
Thanks again'
Bill.
Thanks… The car is ready to go as soon as the chrome comes back. At this point, that likely means spring.

You may need to do some work to make a SWB OTS exhaust fit a 2+2?

You can get a feel for the sound inside from the first video I posted (by the Australian fellow). Also, Classicfabs has their own YouTube channel (just search for 'classicfabs')

Old 10-11-2022, 10:00 AM

I will check out the classicfabs You Tube channel.
I watched the video you posted of the guy in New Zealand. His car sounds good, but it is hard to tell if there is any resonance, and that is my concern. My OTS sounds great when it is idling or driving at low RPMs. When I get on the gas or driving on the highway that it gets annoying.
By the way, both my cars are swb. The coupe is a 2 seater FHC.
Bill.
PS: I'm waiting for chrome too.