E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Finally sorted out, 123 distributor and Cool Cat radiator/fans made it happen!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 09:24 PM
Received 317 Likes on 205 Posts
Default Finally sorted out, 123 distributor and Cool Cat radiator/fans made it happen!

Many thanks to all who who contributed their thoughts and suggestions on my 69 Es ignition (dead Pertronix) and cooling issues (OE radiator finally gave it up). Hopefully the last pieces went in this week with the install of the beautiful piece of aluminum art called a radiator, along with the upgraded fans and Mike Frank's suggestion of thermostat. Car is tuned and running great with the 123, and now back to his indicated operating temperature in the O-R range on the temp gauge. I appreciate all who took their time to share recommendations and experiences. It made it that much easier to decide how to go forward. THANK YOU!

Old 10-14-2021, 06:01 AM
Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

Glad it's running well now. Did you go for the 123 Tune version, or the one with different pre-set curves to choose from? If the latter, which curve have you chosen?

Old 10-14-2021, 10:30 AM

I just went with the base unit. While I do a lot of my own work on the car, adjusting distributors is not in my skillset... too many other settings depend on that distributor, so would prefer to leave it to someone who knows way more than I. I did buy the coil and wires that were recommended to go along with it.

Old 10-14-2021, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Valerie Stabenow
I just went with the base unit. While I do a lot of my own work on the car, adjusting distributors is not in my skillset... too many other settings depend on that distributor, so would prefer to leave it to someone who knows way more than I. I did buy the coil and wires that were recommended to go along with it.
Hi Valerie. I went with a basic unit too, but the curves are still selectable. There should be a stainless steel window fitting on the side, which you can open with an Allan key. In there you can turn an arrow (use a coin) to choose the curve. If you haven't done that, it will be on curve zero. The E prefers curve 2, advance comes in just a tad quicker. Above 2, overall advance is a bit too high. I'm assuming you bought the 123 designed for the XK engine?

Old 10-14-2021, 07:27 PM
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Hi Valerie,
Good to hear that your E-Type is back on the road and running well. Can you post a photo of that aluminum art sculpture radiator and the fan you installed? What brand radiator and fan did you go with?
Enjoy the ride.
Bill.

Old 10-14-2021, 08:41 PM

Dibby.. I will research the procedure you described for adjusting the curve, so that I'm sure I understand the steps.. What is the expected difference in how the car runs? Does the timing need to be reset after changing the curve? Yes, I did buy the 123 for XK engines.
Bill, will take some photos. It is the XK-E manual transmission radiator and dual fans from CoolCat. I also put in one of the Thermostats that Mike Frank recommended ( link is on the CoolCat site). Took the old boy out for a quick spin this afternoon. Fully warmed up, temp gauge needle still on the O-R on the gauge. An expensive project, but IMO worth the peace of mind

Old 10-15-2021, 03:22 AM

Dibby.. I will research the procedure you described for adjusting the curve, so that I'm sure I understand the steps.. What is the expected difference in how the car runs? Does the timing need to be reset after changing the curve? Yes, I did buy the 123 for XK engines.
Bill, will take some photos. It is the XK-E manual transmission radiator and dual fans from CoolCat. I also put in one of the Thermostats that Mike Frank recommended ( link is on the CoolCat site). Took the old boy out for a quick spin this afternoon. Fully warmed up, temp gauge needle still on the O-R on the gauge. An expensive project, but IMO worth the peace of mind
You don't need to redo the timing. Just change the arrow from "zero" to "2" and that's it, all done. Car should then be a little more responsive when accelerating. Bit of a fiddle getting to the steel cap to undo, according to the orientation of the distributor. Might need a little mirror to see! Easy enough though - I'm no mechanical or technical guru!
Here is a link to a picture of a 123 showing the steel cap. It is just to the left of where the wires exit the body. Your cap may be red or black, but the steel cap is still there. You can see the Allan key hex shape in the cap. https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...MygGegUIARDiAQ

Old 10-15-2021, 06:51 AM

Thanks Valerie. I am toying with the idea installing a better radiator than the original in the FHC I'm restoring, but I am trying to balance originality with improved drivability.
Bill.

Old 10-15-2021, 05:03 PM

You may be able to have yours recored. 25 years ago, I did that and got 25 years of temp gauge readings in the O-R range. It wasn't until this past spring (2021) that trouble began. I don't concours my car, or show it much, but I do drive it. Didn't want to worry about that needle over at the right side, IMO, dangerously close to red. Not sure what JCNA judging says, but I'll stick with this new one.

Old 10-15-2021, 06:33 PM

I did consider having the radiator recored but... I have a recored radiator in the roadster and I am not happy with it. Could just have been a bad job. Anyway, I am not planning on showing the car, and I am doing several upgrades to improve drivability like a 5 speed gear box. So, I am not opposed to installing some more modern/improved components. Just don't want to over do it. All the upgrades I am doing to the car can easily be brought back to stock.
Bill.

Old 10-16-2021, 04:22 PM
Received 681 Likes on 490 Posts

Glad it worked out, thanks for the update!

Old 10-17-2021, 05:13 PM

Here are some photos. The great thing about this radiator is that it is set up so that the fan shroud bolts right in and on my car, with Factory A/C, the condenser also bolts right on. The new fans fit right inside the shroud, and the 'otter' switch is set up as well. When I bought this car in 1989, a PO had set up the fans to run all the time. While it may not be correct, it was always good to hear those fans come on when I turned the key.

Attached Thumbnails Finally sorted out, 123 distributor and Cool Cat radiator/fans made it happen!-100_2938.jpg   Finally sorted out, 123 distributor and Cool Cat radiator/fans made it happen!-100_2939.jpg   Finally sorted out, 123 distributor and Cool Cat radiator/fans made it happen!-100_2940.jpg   Finally sorted out, 123 distributor and Cool Cat radiator/fans made it happen!-100_2941.jpg   Finally sorted out, 123 distributor and Cool Cat radiator/fans made it happen!-100_2942.jpg  

Finally sorted out, 123 distributor and Cool Cat radiator/fans made it happen!-100_2943.jpg  
Old 10-17-2021, 06:35 PM

Valerie,
Thank you for posting the photos of the aluminum radiator. It is good to hear that your jag is running cool even with the A/C condenser in front of the radiator.
I am assuming the radiator installation was straight forward without need for any modifications.
Thanks again.
Bill.

Old 10-17-2021, 09:21 PM

https://www.coolcatcorp.com/Merchant...tegory_Code=CS

No modifications needed. Plug n play, not plug n pray.. Check out the Coolcat site. Mike Frank will answer all your questions promptly. There are probably cheaper alternatives, but I am done with going the inexpensive route and then having to pay again for not having made the right choice the first time. A radiator that was over 50 years old and already recored once had done its duty. Time to move on.

The following users liked this post:
enderle (10-18-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 06:12 PM
Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

[QUOTE=Valerie Stabenow;2453151]Many thanks to all who who contributed their thoughts and suggestions on my 69 Es ignition (dead Pertronix) and cooling issues (OE radiator finally gave it up).

Small world, My Pertronix unit crapped out after 4 years, just got a 123, and I switched to a Cool cat rad three years ago.

Cheers, Alfred