E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Four speed or auto?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Four speed or auto?

Considering purchasing a series three roadster, looking at both autos and four speeds. I have owned and restored many classic muscle cars over the years, and alway wanted to do an e-type. Anybody have advice on which trans is better for a weekend driver?
I live in Fort Lauderdale, south Florida and am leaning towards an auto trans due to traffic conditions. I will be buying a car that has A/C as a factory option as well. Other than the trans question and the A/C option I don’t care much about color as they all look pretty nice! I will probably buy a rust free car from the west coast to start the restoration. The mechanical side I can do, but the rust repair I try to stay away from as it’s time consuming and expensive.
Anyway, let me know what you think on the trans option?

Old 08-23-2020, 05:38 PM
Received 111 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat-Cat
Considering purchasing a series three roadster, looking at both autos and four speeds. I have owned and restored many classic muscle cars over the years, and alway wanted to do an e-type. Anybody have advice on which trans is better for a weekend driver?
I live in Fort Lauderdale, south Florida and am leaning towards an auto trans due to traffic conditions. I will be buying a car that has A/C as a factory option as well. Other than the trans question and the A/C option I don’t care much about color as they all look pretty nice! I will probably buy a rust free car from the west coast to start the restoration. The mechanical side I can do, but the rust repair I try to stay away from as it’s time consuming and expensive.
Anyway, let me know what you think on the trans option?
Hi Fat-Cat,
Well if you were looking at a Series I or II roadster you wouldn't have a choice since there all manual trans. But the Series III is a different beast. The long wheelbase aloud Jaguar to install the auto trans. Some people call them GT cars instead of sports cars, a little bit softer but they can handle as well as the Series I & II. Your decision all come down to the type of driving you plan on doing. If you're planning to drive a lot of twisty, hilly back roads, I would go for the manual. If this is going to be a around town cruiser or long distance traveling, I would suggest the auto.

Which ever you get it should be a blast!

Old 08-23-2020, 08:27 PM
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Hi Fat-Cat, and welcome.
I live in the Daytona Bech area and I will be installing an AC In my 68 coupe. I would definitely recommend you go for a car with AC, it will make the car more enjoyable to drive.
As to manual Vs. Auto; personally I would go with manual since it is more engaging, but it really depends on the type of driving you will be doing. South Florida has some heavy traffic so that is something to consider. Either way, you can't go wrong. Make sure to post a photo when you find your car.
Good luck, and stay safe.
Bill.

Old 08-24-2020, 04:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

The V12s are the least sporting of the E-types, and as the V12 gives you lots of torque I'd go for the auto. The clutch is pretty heavy too, and in traffic would be a bit of bind. If you're wanting days out cruising the auto will suit you better. Small sports cars are fun and better with manual, like my MG Midget and MG TF

Old 08-24-2020, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,873 Likes on 7,151 Posts

Personal preference rules, naturally.

IMO, any E-Type with an automatic just seems.....seems....wrong.

But that's just me

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
enderle (09-04-2020), JagGuardian (08-28-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 10:30 AM

Thanks for all the input, leaning towards auto and A/C options for south Florida heat and traffic. No real back roads down here like up north, just city traffic or highway driving, and it’s either warm or hot!

Old 08-24-2020, 11:18 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a Series III with a manual and it's a lot of fun, but not in traffic. It's really the stop and go that gets annoying. The V12 has enough torque that you can easily creep along in idle in slow moving traffic but the clutch is not particularly light so lots of stops can be tiring on the left leg. If you're expecting to use it largely as a city driver you may be happier with the auto. If you're going cruising in moderate or no traffic then the 4 speed is likely to be the one you'll have the most fun with. Also note that the 4 speed is a bit low geared for high speed highway cruising so I occasional find myself reaching for a 5th gear that doesn't exist. Not sure if the auto is geared similarly. These days most E-Types get used only on sunny weekends for pleasure drives in light traffic, which is what makes the 4 speed so desirable today. Back in the day many original owners bought their E expecting to use it as a daily driver, which explains why there are so many auto versions around. That should tell you something.

Old 08-24-2020, 01:04 PM

Yes, just a weekend cruiser and show car, maybe some trips around Florida like Daytona. I used to be a manual trans only kinda guy, but as I have become a little older (56) I can appreciate the luxury of an auto trans. That being said my daily driver (SRT8) is a six speed manual, but I bought it new in 2009 and still really wanted the manual trans!
Anyone with the auto in their car feel free to chime in, how is it shift wise?

Old 08-27-2020, 01:13 PM
Default 73 Jaguar E Type Series III OTS with automatic transmission

Originally Posted by Fat-Cat
Yes, just a weekend cruiser and show car, maybe some trips around Florida like Daytona. I used to be a manual trans only kinda guy, but as I have become a little older (56) I can appreciate the luxury of an auto trans. That being said my daily driver (SRT8) is a six speed manual, but I bought it new in 2009 and still really wanted the manual trans!
Anyone with the auto in their car feel free to chime in, how is it shift wise?
I have a Series III OTS with a 3 speed stock BW automatic transmission and love it! The Jaguar V12 Series 3 E Type Repair Operation Manual states the shift points as:
Light throttle upshift 1-2 at 8-16 mph, 2-3 at 20-31 mph which feels about right. It's a little funny to go down an entrance ramp (launching pad) and not feel a shift as you continue through 70 mph but the car doesn't flinch.

Hope this helps

Old 08-30-2020, 06:29 AM

That’s good info from you guys, will keep an open mind on the trans question. How much is a 1972 auto roadster worth? Been in storage for many years, no rust was in CA it’s whole life. Needs restoration, but is complete...

Old 09-03-2020, 03:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have just completed the conversion of my Etype S2 2+2 auto to manual using a 4speed with O/D from a XJ6. Wasnt too difficult, but timeconsuming finding the right parts.
I am superhappy with the results, the autobox was just ridiculous...

When time allows I'll do a proper write-up with pictures... there are many people with questions/advice/know-how on this topic... Some are complete nonsense, some are helpful... but best learning is to get stuck in and do it yourself.

Old 09-13-2020, 12:16 AM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I think, if your initial instinct is to go auto, go auto. I just bought my first E-Type, its an automatic, I wouldn't have bought a manual, and its my MGB GT's fault.

I started learning on a manual, but as time went on, drove only automatics. Some decades later, I started to get grief for having a collection of automatic - only cars, not a manual among them. For a while I defended the decision by stating how bad traffic was and that the "Sunday cruise" is virtually extinct anymore - every day, at every hour, traffic seems worse and worse year after year. But.....it did bother me, and eventually I gave in to the idea that you've got to drive a manual to really enjoy the thrill and control of the car, and besides, everyone knows "a manual transmission makes the car". SO....I decided I needed a little stick-shift to get my "I'm a real car-guy" card back, and I bought my 1967 MGB GT. Its a great car, British racing green, black interior, overdrive, near local-show condition and it runs awesome......not that anyone would know of course, because I never drive it.

I can drive it, but time after time, I choose not to, so it just sits. The manual transmission is, frankly, a nuisance. I will grant that I am not the most practiced manual driver, but when I get a rare moment to go for a drive or run an errand on a nice day, the manual is a real turn off, and while I am sure its fun to carve through winding roads, shifting gears and such.....there is just no road left for that, least not around here, and not without grinding through traffic to get there. I gave in to the pressure (mostly self inflicted), I started to believe I needed a manual because I had all these automatic cars that were somehow lacking, for being automatics. But you know what I learned? The point in having cars like these is to enjoy driving them, not to have them hold down the shop floor. An automatic transmission is 1000% better than a manual, if you actually drive the automatic. A manual car's "cool" factor looses all of of its supposed advantages, when stuffed in the back of the shop...behind all the automatics you actually use. If, for you, the manual detracts from your willingness to jump in and go, pick the automatic.

Now - lets be clear - all of this is my opinion, from what works for me, but if you're asking the question, it suggests you want the Auto, but worry that buying an auto will somehow send you to car-guy weeny-camp, so I'm giving you my perspective as someone who was in the same boat, caved into the "Auto's aren't as good" premise, and now regrets it. Oh I love my MGB GT, but I don't drive it - and that's utterly pointless.

When shopping for my E-Type, I was told that an Auto 2+2 is basically the worst E-Type you can buy, "why even bother if I wont buy a manual". ...Well....here's why - I'll drive the heck out of the automatic, and I'll do it with the space and comfort of a 2+2, enjoying every minute of it and not worrying one bit about which gear I need to be in, while I eat a snack with my shifter hand, and ponder the mysteries of the clutch, that I'll never have to use.....over and over....in traffic, and wave to all the onlookers admiring the car, none of whom care what transmission moves it.

That's my thoughts on it anyway.

Old 09-13-2020, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

A bit like when I was on motorcycles in the 60s and 70s. I rode British bikes, that always had a kickstart, electric-start was apparently for cissies. Except the Japanese sold hundreds of thousands of their bikes starting with the Honda 750 four cylinder, the British makers were asleep to market trends, (being in Birmingham, London was a foreign country to their management !!). Eventually, they woke up, but by then it was too late. My last British bike was a Triumph T160 triple and it had an electric start which I greatly liked. You still had to tickle the carburettors, though, when starting. There was even a little lever to tickle the middle carb. The Triumph was only in production for about 18 months and then the company died.
My next and last bike was a Yamaha XS750 triple, totally reliable, well bult and a joy to own. Why was it my last bike ? I got married !