E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Gasoline smell

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 07:33 PM
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Gasoline smell

My 1968 E type has been in the family since 2969. It always seemed to have a gasoline smell. After over half a century, I think I figured out the problem.

If the car is overfill, it seems to spill gas under the gas tank and spare tire area. It should evaporate quickly, but it doesn't. I noticed some rails going sling the floorboard of the car and they have holes in them. I noticed the holes had liquid in them. I stuck a rolled up piece of paper in the holes and it smelled of gasoline.

The first question is, what would make the gas spill into that area? Secondly, what are those holes for economy? Third, how do I get the gas out? Finally, can I plug the holes once the gas is removed?

Old 11-05-2021, 01:25 AM
Received 57 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi,

I don't see how can you overfill the tank when modern filling nozzles have a cut off mechanism to prevent this?

Or do you have a leaking tank and by overfilling you mean filling above the leak?

Old 11-05-2021, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by kevh
Hi,

I don't see how can you overfill the tank when modern filling nozzles have a cut off mechanism to prevent this?

Or do you have a leaking tank and by overfilling you mean filling above the leak?
I pull the rubber boot of the nozzle (california thing) and top it off. The tank doesn't leak. Maybe the gas came out of a vent.

Old 11-05-2021, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

A lot of these odd holes one comes across on a bodyshell are where the parts are attached to a jig prior to welding, OR are there as drains when the shell goes into the paint tanks. Cathodic priming involves submersion in a tank,. followed by drain-off and baking.

Old 11-05-2021, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
A lot of these odd holes one comes across on a bodyshell are where the parts are attached to a jig prior to welding, OR are there as drains when the shell goes into the paint tanks. Cathodic priming involves submersion in a tank,. followed by drain-off and baking.
I figured it had something to do with that pesky cathodic priming process.

Old 11-05-2021, 08:07 AM
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Check the large hose connection between the gas tank and the gas filler neck, and also the the smaller vent hose that goes from the tank to the side of the filler neck.
If any of the these hoses are old and brittle, they can crack and leak gas that will run under the tank.
I had a similar issue many years ago, and the only way to dry any fluid that might have gotten under the strengthening ribs in the trunk floor, is to try to push a thin towel into the holes, and to let it evaporate. Also, take the side cover that gives you access to the filler neck and put your hands down there and look for dampness. If there is gas there, for sure you have a leak in one of the hoses or on the tank.
Good luck.
Bill.

Old 11-05-2021, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Daytona
Check the large hose connection between the gas tank and the gas filler neck, and also the the smaller vent hose that goes from the tank to the side of the filler neck.
If any of the these hoses are old and brittle, they can crack and leak gas that will run under the tank.
I had a similar issue many years ago, and the only way to dry any fluid that might have gotten under the strengthening ribs in the trunk floor, is to try to push a thin towel into the holes, and to let it evaporate. Also, take the side cover that gives you access to the filler neck and put your hands down there and look for dampness. If there is gas there, for sure you have a leak in one of the hoses or on the tank.
Good luck.
Bill.
Thanks for the advice Bill. The larger connecting coupler shouldn't be leaking as I replaced it recently. I'm suspecting the smaller vent hose....Im certain that is the cause. I have the hatch open and I did stuff small paper towel in there to absorb the gas in there. I also discovered the sound proof padding on the side smelled of gas too. I removed it and soaked it in soapy water overnight. I will let it dry in the warm So Cal sun today. I also have the rear hatch open to bake in same.

Old 07-30-2022, 02:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charcoal Canister

We had a 1962 Jaguar Low Drag Coupe in the shop that had a horrible gas smell that smelled up the entire shop. This is due to the fact that gas tanks on these particular Jaguars vent to atmosphere, thus having a very small amount of gasoline evaporating and stinking up the surrounding area. We solved this issue by using the following aftermarket charcoal filter: https://www.classicperformancerestor...th-a-fuel-tank

We used the 8 inch variant from the link I provided above, and the results are incredible, absolutely zero smell of gas after installing this charcoal canister. Wanted to share our discovery as I find this to be invaluable for any classic vintage Jaguar. I'll attach a photo of our Jaguar with the charcoal canister installed. There is a high possibility this will solve your issue, and or solve a significant portion of the issue you face. Good luck my friend!