E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Heat / sound shielding project SII FHC

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2021 | 10:14 AM
|
Default Heat / sound shielding project SII FHC

Just an FYI and pics for anyone interested. With Summer heat coming I decided pulled out all the old Wizard Of Oz Scarecrow stuffing to replace it with modern materials. Once I stripped to the metal or metal coating, I lightly sanded any surface rust followed by using Rustoleum rust converter for any remaining surface rust. I vacuumed and cleaned all surface areas with soapy water. The next day I followed with applying Kilmat 80mm on all cabin floor and trans surfaces, including the trans tunnel (my body is killing me from that contortion - don’t try this at home kids....). To supplement for sound shielding, I overlaid Noico Red (130 mm) on all surfaces with the exception of the trans tunnel under the center section (would be too thick). Project took about 12 hours total. The passenger’s seat already had shielding applied but strangely, the driver’s side did not. I did not remove the seat, rather slide 2 sheets of Kilmat under the seat carpeting. Once I figure out how to remove the door cards, I’d like to sound proof the doors. Any thoughts on adding insulation to the boot? Thanks!

Finished product...

Notice the bird’s nest in the middle pic above. Wonder how old that was!

Old 04-22-2021 | 07:23 AM

Hi Smonop,
Nicely done. That is one of the tasks I have coming up in the near future as I continue the restoration on the 68 FHC. I had intended on installing only dynomat for heat and sound abatement. But I am now interested also on the second material you installed for sound. Please share some more info on the Noico Red 130mm material you installed. Also, now that the job is done, how is the driving experience? Is it less noisy inside as you drive?
Bill.

Old 04-22-2021 | 09:25 AM

REALLY nice work! I would be interested in a close up photo of how you handled the 'under-the-steering wheel' area. I have a bit of black cardboad-type material, and there is a metal 'hook' that I use to hold the piece of hardura/vinyl up. I do have factory air, but I don't think that affects this side of the car.

The following users liked this post:
midpac (04-26-2021)
Old 04-22-2021 | 09:25 AM
|

Originally Posted by Daytona
Hi Smonop,
Nicely done. That is one of the tasks I have coming up in the near future as I continue the restoration on the 68 FHC. I had intended on installing only dynomat for heat and sound abatement. But I am now interested also on the second material you installed for sound. Please share some more info on the Noico Red 130mm material you installed. Also, now that the job is done, how is the driving experience? Is it less noisy inside as you drive?
Bill.

Hey Bill. First, I misspoke, it’s 150 mm, oops. Of all the sites I researched, this one influenced me most in my decision can be found here: https://soundproofliving.com/automot...ing-materials/

Dynamat has clearly dominated the field and has an excellent product and reputation. From what I read though, there are pretty decent competitors these days when taking everything into consideration especially pricing.

Other than taking a spin around the block I haven’t really had an opportunity to test out the effort. While sound proofing was in my game plan, I was far more concerned with the heat shielding aspect. This coming week the temps are going into the mid to high 70’s, should give me a good idea. I also just yesterday used the Noico to line my boot.

As an FYI too, while the Kilmat is very much similar to Dynamat (stuff is metal like + butyl and heavy!) the Noico is very soft, light, moldable and dents / tears easily. As such and not liking that it would be visible with removal of my floor mats, I searched online for vinyl material to cut and form over the Noico in the foot wells. I was only able to find the door sill strips at Moss and they were asking $179 which I thought was ridiculous. Last eve I made a trip to Joanne’s Fabrics and found and picked up this vinyl material (see pic) which matches my biscuit interior perfectly. 1.5 sq yards, $23 bucks total (on sale, bonus!)

. : ) I will lay that down today or tomorrow.

Old 04-22-2021 | 09:34 AM

When you say "door sill strips" are you talking about the pretty wide, 'vinyl-covered curved area, then edged in a chrome piece? Going to go check this MV out. perfect match for Biscuit! Was this the "beige" or the "tan" ??? Does the MV have a woven backing?

Old 04-22-2021 | 10:03 AM

Smonop,
the reference to the Noico "150 mm", is that the thickness of the material? If so, that is just over 1/2" thick. Doesn't it interfere with the fitment of the carpets and other interior pieces?
Good find on the vinyl.
Bill.

Old 04-22-2021 | 10:33 AM
|

Originally Posted by Valerie Stabenow
When you say "door sill strips" are you talking about the pretty wide, 'vinyl-covered curved area, then edged in a chrome piece? Going to go check this MV out. perfect match for Biscuit! Was this the "beige" or the "tan" ??? Does the MV have a woven backing?
Yes, curved areas. When you compare the Joanne’s material and pricing, the curved area sections didn’t seem so wide to me.... 😁 The MV material is labeled “Tan” and has a woven backing, see pic below. I will get to your other question re under dash in a bit, I’ll take pics.

Old 04-22-2021 | 11:15 AM
|

Smonop,
the reference to the Noico "150 mm", is that the thickness of the material? If so, that is just over 1/2" thick. Doesn't it interfere with the fitment of the carpets and other interior pieces?
Good find on the vinyl.
Bill.
Bill, great question on the Noico. My description was inaccurate, it’s Noico 150 “mil” which is defined as follows: Thickness: 150 mil=0.15 inches (4 mm). Dunno why they would do that, but whatever....😊

Even at that relatively minor thickness, when combined with the Kilmat 80 mil (2mm thickness), it does make from some tight fitment of the carpeting around the trans area, however, carpet “spillage” onto the footwell floor only occurred on the passenger’s side and is covered by the floor mats (see pic). I probably could’ve fit it better but given the contortion it takes to do the work, once adhesive was applied and it stuck it would’ve been a bear to pull back off. Interestingly, the driver’s side, which is far more complex application wise due to the leather scuff pad and pedal ‘interference”, I applied perfectly. Meh...

The tightest area was the trans tunnel, where I only applied Kilmat (I knew applying both products would be way too thick) both to the “hump” and on all sides of the center console underside. Even then made for a challenge putting that center console back down with a tight fit replacing the stereo center piece (it’s not perfect fitment up front, but it’s acceptable, the switch letters simply a little lower now visibility wise.

Old 04-22-2021 | 11:43 AM
|

REALLY nice work! I would be interested in a close up photo of how you handled the 'under-the-steering wheel' area. I have a bit of black cardboad-type material, and there is a metal 'hook' that I use to hold the piece of hardura/vinyl up. I do have factory air, but I don't think that affects this side of the car.
So for my SII, I also had black cardboard (literally ‘cardboard’ on the driver’s side). In Googling, etc. I realized that my car is missing 2 “dash hardura”, the official term, pieces, both on the driver’s side (see pic of pieces I’m missing). I will likely order those to complete my car, however, for now, you will see my set up in the other pics. I applied Kilmat on all under dash metal portions on the driver’s and passenger’s sides, followed by Noico. For the segment to the left of the steering wheel I used carpet cement and tacked up the leather piece + the screw which would normally hold the hardura in place (how my car was set up when I got it). Hope it helps.

Second pic of lame set up....

my lame set up...

Piece which should go under my leather piece

Additional piece I need...

You can clearly see the application of Kilmat under the dash

While not as visible due to it’s color, this is Noico overlaying all of the Kilmat

Old 04-22-2021 | 01:14 PM

OH GREAT pics!! If you could post or PM me where you found the two Hardura pieces. I have one, kinda OK shape, and am missing the second. Photos will help with location and install... in the Driver's side to right of SC, what is the cable that the hardura has the 'slot' for. My car is still in his cocoon, trying to pull this out from memory... thank you for all your work and time posting!!

Old 04-22-2021 | 08:53 PM
|

From what I’ve searched, Moss seems to have the widest selection outside of Skinner in the UK. Moss’ prices tend to be a bit above other vendors but the prices on the hardura (the leather pieces) and millboard (the ‘cardboard’ pieces) seems reasonable.

https://mossmotors.com/under-dash-panel-kit

https://www.john-skinner.co.uk/jagua...ries-2-4-2ltr/

Old 04-23-2021 | 07:09 AM

Valerie,
I think the cable that you are asking about, is actually the the air vent control cable. It is attached to the small round chrome knob that you turn to open and close the air vent under the dash.
Bill.

Old 04-23-2021 | 09:00 AM
|

Valerie,
I think the cable that you are asking about, is actually the the air vent control cable. It is attached to the small round chrome knob that you turn to open and close the air vent under the dash.
Bill.
Yes, Bill is correct, sorry for forgetting to answer!

Old 04-23-2021 | 04:10 PM

Valerie,
Bill.
Air vent control cable??? this is what I see just to the left of of the words: "Single Screw secures to bracket"... speaker appears to be off to the right... I have a 69 series 2 coupe.. I've had this car since 1989 and I don't recall this control.. unless it's the one on the dash that connects to the 'heater box'??? Probably should just go and unwrap the old boy and get him out of his cocoon and look at this stuff.. I looked at SNG and Moss and they have two different styles of millboard.

Old 04-23-2021 | 04:14 PM

So I looked up the underdash casings at both Moss and SNG. Two different offerings:

The first is the Moss, second is the SNG. I think the longer, straighter piece is for under the right hand side??? I have factory air, so I think that would be unneeded.

My question is which of the two options is correct? I'm thinking the SNG.... Thank you for all your help, time and posts!!!

Attached Thumbnails Heat / sound shielding project SII FHC-mossmb.jpg   Heat / sound shielding project SII FHC-sngbmb.jpg  
Old 04-24-2021 | 05:15 PM
|

Air vent control cable??? this is what I see just to the left of of the words: "Single Screw secures to bracket"... speaker appears to be off to the right... I have a 69 series 2 coupe.. I've had this car since 1989 and I don't recall this control.. unless it's the one on the dash that connects to the 'heater box'??? Probably should just go and unwrap the old boy and get him out of his cocoon and look at this stuff.. I looked at SNG and Moss and they have two different styles of millboard.
I found a pic of a SII dash with air, look at the arrows I drew on the pic. The silver knobs (on for driver, one for passenger) are the equivalent in a ‘modern car’ of switching incoming ambient air from the vents under the dash to the windshield if you turn the knob and close the vent. The heater box switches control whether air is coming in in the first place.

Old 04-24-2021 | 05:18 PM
|

I didn’t look closely at the items on the respective sites, but make sure your’e comparing apples to apples, i.e. SII with air. I mention this, because I’ve made the mistake in the past with other parts. As for the rectangular piece, yes, for the passenger’s side, attaches under glove box and fixed with 2 screws.

Old 04-25-2021 | 10:57 AM

Thank you for both replies.. interesting with the S2 photo. My car has the 'push/pull' lever as shown in your photo... far left and one silver rotating button. I could never figure out if it worked or not. I don't have the vertical plate to the left of that silver knob and it doesn't appear that one was ever there. Only one control for entire car, there is not the duplicate on the right hand/passenger side as your photo shows. My AC louvers are different. Anyway, you answered question on the silver knob control. Then on to which set of Millboards to buy. Will get the old boy out in the daylight, once it warms up a bit here in Wisconsin. I'm thinking the SNG set, and the right hand footwell will be a giveaway, as I don't think with the factory air that it will be needed. Thank you so much for all your time, great photos and help!

Old 04-26-2021 | 01:01 PM

Smonop, Sooo appreciate your post and photos. Especially the under dash no man’s land. I’m in the middle of a full restoration of my 74 SIII OTS and this is the next project for me ... that is, after I find the turn signal relay. It is nowhere to be found.
Would love to see it when you’re finished. Excellent work by the way.