E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

I make the transition from Jaguar, to art.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 05:19 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile I make the transition from Jaguar, to art.

Hello good Sirs. I have not been on here in quite some time. However, today or tomorrow, i am going to look at a local 1968 Jaguar XK-E. My dream car. They are asking 17k, and I will be trading in my 2004 XJR. say what you will, but this will be my Daily driver. I have become so tired of my digital gizmos breaking, that I wish to have a car that has none. BUT I love Jaguars too much. So the E-type is the next logical step! The car LOOKS immaculate. However I know how deceiving looks can be. I know the E-Type has some finicky things with it. Such as Inbore brakes. But my XJS had those as well. My biggest question is what should one look for when looking at a 68 E-type. It has 56,000 miles, supposedly documented. Havent seen the car in person yet. What are common rust spots to look for? Is it good or bad if it has all original Lucas equipment? This wont be an investment, this will hopefully be the last car I ever need. So I dont worry about resale value. It will live in the Garage on the rainy days (take the girlfriend's car) but this will very much be my Daily Driver. How many grease zerks are there to lube up? I have found a wealth of information on these cars, but these are some things I will need to know to make sure I keep maintenance top priority on this beauty. Cheers!

Old 01-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're a brave man if you plan to use an E-Type as a daily driver!
Has the car ever been restored or is it all original?

I'm guessing it's a 2+2 from the price?

Old 01-03-2013, 04:34 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Wills
You're a brave man if you plan to use an E-Type as a daily driver!
Has the car ever been restored or is it all original?

I'm guessing it's a 2+2 from the price?
Indeed it is a 2+2, however that works in my favour. Being the goal of having only this to myself, I would need the rear "seats" on the rarity that I must use it as a car for more than two. No matter how uncomfortable the rear passengers may be haha. And I dont believe it has been restored. Maybe touched up through the ages. It looks as if there is slight bubbling at the bottom of the driverside door. When I go see it in person I will be giving it a thorough going over for any more rust. However the black high gloss paint does not seem to have any discolouration from bondo and the like. So maybe I'll get lucky? We'll see haha