E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Long Term Storage for Project

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Term Storage for Project

Hello Everyone,

I've got an odd question, but hopefully someone can shed some light on the subject. Does anyone have any suggestions on long term storage for a project E type? My father and I started the dubious challenge of restoring an E type about a year ago. Due to circumstances we didn't expect (father wanting to move overseas, and I'm in the process of joining the Air Force), we're left trying to figure out whether to sell or store the Jag. While financially it makes better sense to store it, part of me really doesn't want to get rid of it. The thing I'm afraid of is here in NC, we get the brutal 100+ degree summers with ungodly humidity, and I'm afraid it'd only worsen the Jag in storage.

With that being said, does anyone have any suggestions on how to prep it for storage (without going the route of dunk everything in cosmoline)? Around me, there's tons of storage for it, but none of its climate controlled. And even if the metal will be fine, all the interior components that survived the beating it went through may not survive that.

Thanks everyone for any help or insight you can give!

Zack

Old 09-05-2023, 04:52 AM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Once something needs replacing, it does not matter if it gets worse.

I have a worse E and my ‘much better’ one is just nearing completion. The effort on either of them would have been the same.

So, that might be an incentive to get rid of it and start with something less challenging later or it might be a relief that you can just put it away and not worry about it - flip your coin.

Old 09-05-2023, 07:19 AM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Store it in a facility for 6 months until you in-process to your first Air Force assignment. Then bring it to the base. I was enlisted Air Force back in the early 80’s and lots of us had various automotive projects. Idk if they still have them, but every Air Force base used to have an auto shop where guys could work on their cars. They had tools we could check out and lifts. At the least, you could find a storage place near your base where you could keep your Jag and be able to maintain it In reasonable condition.