E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Monocoque or Martin Robey

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2022, 09:51 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Monocoque or Martin Robey

I'm beginning the restoration of a 1967 E-type. It's an Ohio car. So there is some rust but not as much as you would expect. I'm probably going to replace the rockers, floors and a couple more small panels. I'd like feed back on whether to use panels from Martin Robey (Moss, Terry's, SNG Barratt) or Monocoque. Right now I'm leaning toward Monocoque because they actually use their own parts to restore cars but I would like feed back.

Thanks,

OCDHerb

Old 07-27-2022, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

The test of a panel is whether it fits or not. Martin Robey have invested over the years to produce a large range of E-type panels, and I would be confident in buying them if I was restoring an E-type shell. As a UK citizen, I've never heard of Monocoque panels. You say they use their own panels to restore cars, but one has to ask how much fettling is needed to make them fit. Of course they may be as good as or better than the Martin Robey panels, but you won't know until you try to fit them !

Old 07-28-2022, 03:26 AM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Monocoque Metalworks has a stellar reputation here in the U.S. for their sheetmetal parts. Chuck, the owner, is a well-known personality on YouTube. Check out some of his videos to gain an appreciation of his expertise of E-types.

Good luck,
Alan
N.J.

The following 3 users liked this post by nunzio66:
alfred (08-05-2023), mikemilton (08-03-2022), RedRider48 (08-30-2023)
Old 08-03-2022, 07:57 AM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

The panels we used from Monocoque were perfect (outer sills, closing panels, hood scuttle, headlight conversion.)

Old 08-03-2022, 10:47 AM

Pictures of the other panels you replaced would be great.

Last edited by OCDHerb; 08-03-2022 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:59 AM

Here is the sill installed

Old 08-03-2022, 12:13 PM

Mike, That looks a lot like what I am going to have to do. Rocker panels, floors. Are those seams leaded? Herb

Old 08-03-2022, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by OCDHerb
Mike, That looks a lot like what I am going to have to do. Rocker panels, floors. Are those seams leaded? Herb
They were leaded.

Original seam - lead filled by Jaguar but almost invisible from here back. Ready for fill and skimming

Filled / skimmed / eventually perfected.

Finished primer

Final Glasurit 2-part Imperial Maroon Opalescent

Old 08-03-2022, 12:50 PM

If you are doing that, I’d really recommend doing a full rotisserie job and be done with it. In some cases Etta got panels, such as from Monocoque, in others new metal was fabricated. We used lizard skin on the floors. (Both heat and sound dreading versions)

Lower read - being shaped and…

… lower read fitted - note that we removed the signal light bulge from the bonnet as well.

Boot floor removed

Boot floor recreated

Restoration of one of the trailing arms

The following users liked this post:
piper 888 (08-04-2023)
Old 08-03-2022, 01:40 PM

I am doing a full rotisserie restoration. However, I don't think I have as much damage as you had. Although, I have not blasted it yet so do not know for certain.

Old 08-03-2022, 02:06 PM

I am doing a full rotisserie restoration. However, I don't think I have as much damage as you had. Although, I have not blasted it yet so do not know for certain.
I thought that as well. There were quite a few surprises (for example, the two groves in the bonnet where someone had driven it under a truck). We really only had sills, floors, wheel arches, and the hood scuttle: those seem to be inevitable. I also have an early OTS flat floor which, in retrospect, would not have been much more work; basically all the same panels.

I was comfortable doing whatever I want on the S2 so it was a good choice for a keeper / driver / S2MOD class car. We did many upgrades which will make it a better driver / performer. The one thing I missed was to upgrade to an Davies / Craig electronically controlled electric water pump.

61 OTS flat floor and a 70 FHC

Old 08-04-2022, 04:57 AM
Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Although not a panel, I replaced my bonnet mounting frame with one from Martin Robey. Given that the bonnets are cut and shaped to fit the car, I thought it unlikely I would not need to do some fettling to get the shut lines correct but the frame was manufactured perfectly aligned and no adjustment needed.

Old 08-04-2022, 07:30 AM
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I don't think it matters who you buy the panels from, Martin Robey or Monocoque, there will always be the need to do some fettling. Bot have an excellent reputation. When I restored the body on my 68 FHC I used all Martin Robey panels because I did not know about Monocoque. There was a lot of fettling required to make everything fit correctly. I did buy some small metal panels from Monocoque when came time to restore the heater box. All panels fit perfectly, but then again the heater box is a much smaller item and very straight forward. I have heard only good things about Monocoque, and they are somewhat closer with direct access to the owner if there are any issues with fit and if you need some guidance.
Good luck with your restoration project.
Bill.

Old 08-04-2022, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

All Jaguar cars, saloons and sports, of that era had a whole lot of body lead in them. In the late eighties, on a visit to Jaguar's body plant at Castle Bromwich, I watched white-haired old guys lead loading XJ Series 3 body shells that continued for the V12 cars until 1992. As far as I know, body lead went out of use after those cars finished production.

Old 08-03-2023, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 384 Likes on 282 Posts

I’ve used Martin Robey on both XKE’s I did and loved how easy they were to fit. In fact they allowed me to square up a twisted body.

Old 08-04-2023, 07:30 AM
Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I used Martin Robey for my floors, inner and outer sills, lower nose panel and rear 1/4 outer dog leg and they all fit fine. It was a PIA to have to go to Dulles Airport and pick them up at customs and shipping wasn't overnight but was well pleased with their panels and would but from them again.

Old 08-04-2023, 09:59 AM
Received 320 Likes on 206 Posts
Default Monocoque videos

Here's a link to MM. Although my 69 S2 isn't in need of his panels.. I have learned a great deal about the construction of the cars from these videos.

https://www.youtube.com/@monocoquemetalworks88

Chuck says he is also able to cut panels a little longer/wider etc. if you have a car that requires that. He was also a consultant on the McKay book on E types:

Amazon Amazon

David Lagonda (08-05-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 10:33 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Both are excellent as well as SNG Barratt. One advantage buying from Chuck since he actually uses all his own parts on restorations he does is the ability to call him personally for advice on your restoration work. Also some of the panels he produces are actually upgraded from the original panels yet visually perfect Examples are heavier gages and significant added reinforcement on weaker panels. Check out his web site . Martin Robey is sometimes even cheaper with freight and duties than either of the others but SNG ships order over $100i or 150 free so that’s also a consideration. For su re buy SNGs parts catalog . Well worth it , sometimes free. A 1 inch thick beautiful bible of EType parts!!

Old 08-04-2023, 11:08 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

All my Martin Robey orders have come direct to my home outside Detroit in about a week, often faster than US sources. Personally I have found Moss to be expensive especially if you include shipping. Martin Robey and SNG both make a lot of parts off their own tools in the UK so they have more parts readily available than Mono although if you can’t find it on Mono site you can always check personally with Chuck to see if he can make it for you If you doing the complete floor you should check out Chucks upgraded floor section

Old 08-05-2023, 02:12 AM
Received 1,081 Likes on 632 Posts

A friend of mine is well into a serious restoration of a S2 E type. He has me nailed to do the fitting of the new wiring loom when he gets to that bit.
He has been using Monocoque panels and he is extremely happy with the results with almost no fettling.
He will also be incorporating upgrades recommended by Chuck and appreciates being able to phone him for advice.

johnrmclean (08-05-2023)

Quick Reply: Monocoque or Martin Robey