E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Need some help identifying parts please!!! 1968 series-1.5 2+2

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 07:45 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Need some help identifying parts please!!! 1968 series-1.5 2+2

The ild man and I pulled all of our parts boxes out, and this morning I separated everything out into individual systems on the floor. The old owner had lots of mixed parts in every box :/ Looks like he kept every spark plug, and sets of points that ever went in the car as well O_o 20 POUNDS of used spark plugs....who does that? Weird.

Anyways, I had a number of parts that I either could not identify, or have no idea what system they belong to, and I would like to ask the membership here if anyone could help me identify them, please! Everything is for a 1968 2+2

The car also came with what looks to me like a set of aftermarket down draft Webers. Any info on this setup? Never seen it before myself. We plan on bolting the original Strombergs to it when we initially start it.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by E-Type Erik; 08-03-2020 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:49 PM

A few more mystery parts....

Old 08-03-2020, 07:54 PM

Aaaand a clean shot of those aftermarket carbs, and some hi-def shots of our parts horde!

Old 08-04-2020, 07:09 AM
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Hi Erik,
I'll try to help starting from the top photo down.
1. Looks like rubber seals for a master cylinder or power assist.
2. Looks like a heater tube that would be under the carbs. From firewall towards the front of the car.
3. Right hand side splash shield. Under the Vacuum tank. under the car/front subframe.
4. Cam tool.
5. Front mud splash shield / fender well. I think the right side.
6. Looks like tool that is part of the jack tool pack. Not sure it is for your jag.
7. Air intake for the heater box. Mounts inside the left front fender.
8. Looks like one of the hinges for the divider between the rear seats and the trunk area. But, I don't remember the 2+2 cars having this divider. I know two seater coupes like mine have them.
9. Bottom right looks to be the heat sensor that mounts to the radiator. The other 5 items I don't know. I have a 68 coupe and have never seen those parts in my car. Is yours an automatic?
10. Bonnet locating pins and bumper. When you close the bonnet they help it align with the bonnet locking mechanism.
11. Looks like the bonnet safety latch. Top center of bonnet. Catches on a bracket that is mounted on the top center of the firewall. Keeps the bonnet from opening all the way in the event that you forgot to lock it.
12, 13, 14, I can't identify.
15. Square chromed piece in the middle is the pull ring for the trunk tire cover board. The round headed pin looks to be the the locating pin on the underside of the trunk tire cover. I'll guess that the other parts are also related to the trunk tire cover.
16. The down draft carbs. Research may show that those may be period aftermarket offering to replace the original strombergs.
Hope this helps. Hint: I have found that using one of the good parts catalogs like SNG Barratt or XKs Unlimited, is a good way to identify parts. I once reassembled a DeTomaso Pantera using a parts catalog.
Keep on and good luck.
Bill.

The following 2 users liked this post by Daytona:
E-Type Erik (08-04-2020), enderle (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 08:00 AM

Thank you very much Bill! That is a tremendous help I need to get me a parts catalogue now, didn't even think of that.

And yes, the car is an auto. Neuropathy runs in the men in my family, and my Dad can't feel his feet, so auto it is.

Old 08-04-2020, 08:37 AM
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Hi Erik,
You are welcome, I am glad to be able to help.
So, if the car is an automatic, then the unidentified parts in photos 9, 12, 13, and 14 may be connected to the automatic transmission. Sorry, I don't know anything about the automatic transmission. Maybe someone else in the forum can help with that. Maybes tart a separate thread asking specifically for help with the automatic transmission and post the photos again.
Stay safe,
Bill.

Old 08-06-2020, 11:27 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default parrs ID

Your part photo #14 shows a plate that fits inside a Teclamit (spelling?) oil filter housing. A treaded shaft with a seal under its' head fits through the plate which by way of a spring presses down upon the fuzzy fibered oil filter (vs the paper type). The shaft screws into the base plate of the oil filter holding the outer housing and internals in place.

Old 08-06-2020, 03:47 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Second picture is the breather tube ( including the fitting for the carbbox plate) from the front of the head breather to the Carb air intake box plate that is attached to the carbs.