E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

New to the Forum!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015 | 12:22 PM
|
Default New to the Forum!

Hi there,
I am a new member here and I have a couple of questions. First, let me say that I am a huge car enthusiast and love the engineering and history behind cars. It's one of the reasons I love the Jaguar E-Type and many other cars. I do not own a Jaguar E-Type, but have been a fan of it since I was young. I love the lightweight E-Types and would like to one day build my own tribute to one. I know it would be a very big task and I don't plan on doing it soon, but I would like to start my research. Any suggestions of books or internet sources that I could use to start my research? I can't seem to find the specifications of a lightweight and would really like to know.
Also, I would like to know if it's even possible to turn a regular E-Type into a lightweight or if it's a completely ridiculous idea because of the amount of money and work it would involve! Thanks!

Old 02-17-2015 | 04:31 PM
Veteran Member

You would need a very large sum of money, as the aluminium E-type has an aluminium body shell, plus the bonnet and other fitments that replace the steel parts. I believe there is a company that can make you one for a price.

Jaguar themselves are producing a small batch of these for mega-bucks. Even with the huge price they are all sold.

Jaguar reveals £1m Lightweight E-type | Autocar

Here is a firm that will build you a replica which is part-steel, part-aluminium

Coventry Classics Lightweight E Type : Coventry Classics

It would not be cheap !