E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

New guy

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2024, 04:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello all,
It’s great to be part of a beautiful community with people like you who share the same love and passion for the car. I have been busy working on the vehicle. I had the new tires and tubes, and I could start the car on Sunday. A new air filter, oil filter, and belt were installed. After starting the car, I discovered several leaks by the seals, but they arrived already, and I will work on them this weekend. I also found that the radiator fan wasn’t functioning and that the radiator was clogged. I removed the radiator and fan. The fan was ordered, but I’m not sure if I should keep the existing radiator ( now cleaned and well flushed) or upgrade to a 3-row aluminum radiator ( https://www.jegs.com/i/Champion-Cool...GUAR&model=XKE). Any recommendations here?

I will also remove and clean the water pump and replace the seals.

Yes, I have to work on the breaks, and that will be next. I purchased the new pads and disk. I will follow your advice, get the lines and other components, and put everything new.

I am excited and looking forward to hopefully doing a test drive on the car in the next few weeks.

Old 07-10-2024, 04:12 AM

Existing radiator out

Old 07-10-2024, 09:20 AM
Received 303 Likes on 198 Posts

Hello Jorge and thank you for the update! The car is lucky to have you for a new caretaker!
You can keep the old/original radiator, but I think most on this forum would say that you are better off with a new one. You will have to check the form factor of the one you you are thinking of ordering as compared to the original one. I am not familiar with what Jegs has for E type radiators.though the one you linked to looks nice.. The one I bought as replacement for my 69 S2 came from CoolCat, it fit perfectly with all the connections to the factory AC system as well. I also ordered new fans ... here is a link to his site:

https://www.coolcatcorp.com/Merchant...tegory_Code=CS

I can attest to the quality of what CoolCat sells, as well as their customer service. Also look around on their site for other E-type engineered items such as electronic instrument voltage regulator. CoolCat radiators ARE more money, but I really didn't want to have to do that job twice. There will be other forum members who, I hope will reply with their experiences and recommendations for your radiator question.

Old 07-11-2024, 08:47 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on getting it started. Depending on how original you want to keep the car, you could always have the radiator fitted with a higher performance core, which is what I did.

Herb

Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

Hello again Jorge,
Great advice to upgrade the rad. During much of my E ownership. I lived in a very hot, dry part of Australia (like say, Arizona plus some). Initially, the E was constantly on the verge of overheating. While the original was blocked across the lower half, I elected to get a re-core but using the original headers on each side. The new core was either 4 or 5 tube and measured about 6mm thicker than normal but this was unnoticeable from either side. We never had an overheating issue again . . . even in our 45 - 50C summers, with a record one year of 52C (that is 125F).

My 2c is that the E Type cooling system was marginal at best . . . perhaps OK for cold European and NA conditions but not adequate for hot conditions. Of course, this proved worse with age as the rad became corroded and progressively blocked. It was certainly he first thing replaced for track work!

Cheers and best wishes,

Old Today, 01:17 AM

Yes Miami is hot all year too, I am excited the new radiator gets home early next week, I will update once I put it in.