E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

New guy

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2024, 04:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello all,
It’s great to be part of a beautiful community with people like you who share the same love and passion for the car. I have been busy working on the vehicle. I had the new tires and tubes, and I could start the car on Sunday. A new air filter, oil filter, and belt were installed. After starting the car, I discovered several leaks by the seals, but they arrived already, and I will work on them this weekend. I also found that the radiator fan wasn’t functioning and that the radiator was clogged. I removed the radiator and fan. The fan was ordered, but I’m not sure if I should keep the existing radiator ( now cleaned and well flushed) or upgrade to a 3-row aluminum radiator ( https://www.jegs.com/i/Champion-Cool...GUAR&model=XKE). Any recommendations here?

I will also remove and clean the water pump and replace the seals.

Yes, I have to work on the breaks, and that will be next. I purchased the new pads and disk. I will follow your advice, get the lines and other components, and put everything new.

I am excited and looking forward to hopefully doing a test drive on the car in the next few weeks.

Old 07-10-2024, 04:12 AM

Existing radiator out

Old 07-10-2024, 09:20 AM
Received 314 Likes on 203 Posts

Hello Jorge and thank you for the update! The car is lucky to have you for a new caretaker!
You can keep the old/original radiator, but I think most on this forum would say that you are better off with a new one. You will have to check the form factor of the one you you are thinking of ordering as compared to the original one. I am not familiar with what Jegs has for E type radiators.though the one you linked to looks nice.. The one I bought as replacement for my 69 S2 came from CoolCat, it fit perfectly with all the connections to the factory AC system as well. I also ordered new fans ... here is a link to his site:

https://www.coolcatcorp.com/Merchant...tegory_Code=CS

I can attest to the quality of what CoolCat sells, as well as their customer service. Also look around on their site for other E-type engineered items such as electronic instrument voltage regulator. CoolCat radiators ARE more money, but I really didn't want to have to do that job twice. There will be other forum members who, I hope will reply with their experiences and recommendations for your radiator question.

Old 07-11-2024, 08:47 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on getting it started. Depending on how original you want to keep the car, you could always have the radiator fitted with a higher performance core, which is what I did.

Herb

Old 07-12-2024, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

Hello again Jorge,
Great advice to upgrade the rad. During much of my E ownership. I lived in a very hot, dry part of Australia (like say, Arizona plus some). Initially, the E was constantly on the verge of overheating. While the original was blocked across the lower half, I elected to get a re-core but using the original headers on each side. The new core was either 4 or 5 tube and measured about 6mm thicker than normal but this was unnoticeable from either side. We never had an overheating issue again . . . even in our 45 - 50C summers, with a record one year of 52C (that is 125F).

My 2c is that the E Type cooling system was marginal at best . . . perhaps OK for cold European and NA conditions but not adequate for hot conditions. Of course, this proved worse with age as the rad became corroded and progressively blocked. It was certainly he first thing replaced for track work!

Cheers and best wishes,

Old 07-13-2024, 01:17 AM

Yes Miami is hot all year too, I am excited the new radiator gets home early next week, I will update once I put it in.

Old 07-17-2024, 08:50 PM

Update
new tires with tubes are installed, new gaskets are getting installed and the radiator and front breaks are scheduled for Sunday. Yet I have a question the car only has 2 carburetor by what I’m reading it’s supposed to have 3 or I am missing something? See photos

2 Zenith carburetors

Is this door supposed to be there?

Old 07-18-2024, 10:01 AM
Default rolling changes

thank you for the update Jorge and you are moving right along! With a 67, you may have the locking glove compartment.. see this car:

https://www.hemmings.com/listing/196...4#&gid=1&pid=3

this one has the open style:

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...#&gid=1&pid=35

Your gas tank has the earlier 'in the tank' fuel pump, while later (I'm referencing mine, a 69) has the fuel pump in the right rear quarter panel.

While E types underwent changes during their production runs, I do think 67 is early for the dual Strombergs, and the ribbed valve covers are later but another member with better knowledge is sure to verify one way or another.

https://forums.jag-lovers.com/t/1968...advance/413862

Have you inquired as to a British Motor industry Heritage certificate? It is essentially the 'birth certificate' for the car.. what it left the factory with. You will have to provide body number, engine and gearbox number that you have.

https://www.jaguarheritage.com/archi.../certificates/

Old 07-18-2024, 01:27 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Does the car have its information plate? It looks like a Series 1 or Series 1 1/2 but that does not look like a 67 engine. A lot of transition at that time but you could check the various serial numbers.

Old 07-18-2024, 07:11 PM

I haven’t been able to ask for the Heritage certificate yet

im confused the nameplate numbers matches with engine and body see photos

Old 07-18-2024, 07:12 PM
Old 07-18-2024, 07:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your numbers do match the ID Plate from which I can't tell a year of manufacture, but the engine with twin Stromberg-Zenith carbs, a crossover and finned valve covers indicates Series 1.5 (1968) or Series 2 (1969-1970). There are always exceptions, especially with British cars, but it sure seems to be later than 1967.

Hope you're making progress on your refurb, my initial list of (6) things to do to my '69 turned into a longer list with each one more involved. Did get the cooling issued fixed, tires and hydraulics systems sorted. Front end rebuild not as smooth--having issues with "wallowed out" ball joint sockets on the upper A Arms. Anyone ever run into this issue? Can the units be re-worked, or is replacement the only solution?

Heater and wipers next.

Oh yeah, neat mod for those of us with bigger than Size 10 feet. Moss offers Brake and Clutch Pedals with a 7/16" offset to the left. Seems like a minor adjustment but for my size 12's it makes a lot of difference in making it easier to hit the right pedal.

Good luck.

Old 07-18-2024, 11:06 PM

Interesting according to the original owner it was from 1967. I will try to get the certificate next week.

Old 07-19-2024, 07:31 AM
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Just my 2 cents.
The glovebox door says Series 1.5 or 2, but the center gauge and switch panel say series 1. As previously mentioned the carbs, intake, cross over plenum, and finned cam covers point to Series 1.5 or 2.
The covered headlights are series 1. If the front seats recline again that points to series 1.5 or 2. If the seats don't recline that points to series 1. I suggest you check the engine block serial number that is stamped on a flat spot just above the oil filter. All the inconsistencies could have been created at the factory, or by a previous owner just trying to keep the car on the road. The heritage certificate will clear up a lot of the questions.
Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Old 07-19-2024, 09:26 PM
Default The numbers match the plate, but....

By all appearances, the front of the car, the round Jaguar motif, covered headlights indicate the car is a 1966 or 1967.

On page 57 of "Factory Original Jaguar E type" by Anders Clausager, the former Jaguar archivist, your car number for 2+2 LHD car, falls between 1966 and 1967, meaning it could have been built late 1966, perhaps early 1967 and is likely a series 1.5. This 'series 1.5' is not a formal indication from Jaguar, rather something that owners and E afficionados have 'made up' to indicate a car that has many of the true Series 1 attributes, with some of the Series 2 features. Jaguar was a relatively small company and often when working on a car they pulled parts from whatever bin they needed it. Also, sometimes a car was coming down the production line, only to have something happen, be removed from the line temporarily, then sorted and returned to the production line, but as a result, parts that are generally found on later cars are now put on this car. Perhaps on the day this car was built, they put one of the 'newer' engines in it.

Here is a link to the book, several UK sellers, but a US for about $31.
https://www.abebooks.com/book-search...06133368/used/

on page 59, there are two photos showing what looks to be your engine on the lower photo. This time frame was very transitional for Es, as the factory was moving away from the Series 1s and on to the Series 2s. However, they may have had leftover parts here and there and put them on cars as they saw fit and/or started using parts that were for the Series 2s.

I really like the Clausager book and there are others equally well-done and informative. The Heritage certificate will certainly help you understand your car!

Attached Thumbnails New guy-jorge07192024.jpg  
Old 07-20-2024, 01:14 PM
Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts

Amazing... when I was a kid in Vermont my dad always wanted an E-Type. One day I came home from college and in the garage was a brand new, Primrose, 2+2 E-type. Blew my mind!

Old 07-21-2024, 01:19 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Jorge,

Something doesn't seem right. I don't believe that Jaguar ever produced a closed headlamp car with twin Stromberg carbs.

I am restoring a mid '67 and took the judge's test a couple years ago. I have done a lot of research and have had numerous conversations with the head JCNA judge on the crossover between S1 and S2 cars.

The first major change to the 4.2 Liter S1 car was the opening of the headlamps. They also added flashers and a few other minor things. Everything else stayed pretty much the same. It retained the toggle switches, eared knock offs, triple carbs, round motif, small mouth, etc. Some have dubbed it the S1.25. According to JCNA documentation this is still technically a Series 1. That's the car I have.

The so called Series 1.5 was produced as a 1968 starting in late 1967. It's still judged as a Series 1. It has the small mouth, round motif, indicators above the bumpers, etc. But, it has open headlamps with the small eye brow, rocker switches, twin Stromberg carbs, hexagonal knock offs and a few other "safety" and emissions changes.

The S2 was produced as a 1969, beginning in late 1968. Among other things, it kept the twin Strombergs, the much bigger indicators/tail lights and front indicators went under the bumpers, the eyebrows got bigger, the mouth got bigger and the motif changed to an oval.

That's the progression as I understand it. From what I see, at no time was a closed headlamp car produced with twin carbs. According to your vin tag the engine and body are both correct. Is it possible that your bonnet was replaced with an earlier version?

Herb

Old 07-21-2024, 11:26 PM

OCDH... I believe Jorge posted photos of this car on Xkedata... (1E76312) Take a look at the 5th photo under "Engine" and look at the very interesting 'header tank' ! If not done by Jaguar, someone did (IMO) a magnificent job creating this header tank... before true S2s had the former header/now expansion tank mounted on the left firewall. Then, 2+2 Es listed after Jorge's serial number also have the sealed headlights. Serial number 1E76327BW has two Stromberg carburetors.

In past reading, it was noted that sometimes a car would have to be taken off the production line for some reason.. repair/panel damage, etc. then put back on the line. This may explain why this E has an engine that many think it shouldn't have. Looking at 6327BW however, only 15 cars later, it appears to have the Strombergs, but not the ribbed valve covers. In your conversation with judges.. do they see evidence to support this?

Jorge, I hope you are still making progress on the car! However it sorts out, you have a very interesting E that is providing much thought provoking discussion.
I for one will be very interested in the results of your Heritage certificate.