E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

New to me 1964 Jag

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me 1964 Jag

I posted this in the new members forum but I thought I repost to introduce myself to other fellow E Type owners.
I wanted to drop in and introduce my new baby. I just bought a 1964 E-Type 3.8L from my grandfather. It has been in the family for over 40 years and has been the car I have wanted ever since I can remember. I am going into this completely blind as I have only owned modern cars before. It runs well but I have discovered an oil leak that I need to find and fix. The car has been sitting the last few years as my grandpa got older and couldn't drive it anymore. It's all pretty exciting and scary all at the same time. The car is going into hibernation as winter is coming to northern Indiana this weekend. Hopefully I can have it ready to go at the first sign of spring.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Congratulations on becoming an owner of the foremost, and unchallenged, automobile icon of the 60s ! A few photos would not come amiss. As regards the oil leak, these engines were not renowned for oil tightness, so a few drips onto the garage floor is normal. The engine is more or less the same as fitted to the saloons, but has three carburettors and the cylinder head may be slightly different. If the oil comes from the rear of the engine by the clutch bellhousing it is likely the rear main oil seal needs replacing. This is a big job requiring the engine to come out, and the crankshaft removing. There are kits that modify this to a modern lip seal, but need the crankshaft machining.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

Hello Clayfire90 . . . and congratulations from an Australian enthusiast.

Your granddad has left you with a superb, but also challenging, heritage. Our 35+ years love affair with our '64 Series1 4.2L E-Type suggests to me, that unless your oil leak is excessive, there are more critical issues in a car that has been laid up for some years.

The primary items to check, and before taking to the road, are as follows . . .
  • change all the fluids - engine/trans/diff oils, coolants, and brake fluid;
  • check oil pressures; cold, hot; at idle, 2000rpm, 4000rpm;
  • check the brake system meticulously - water ingress causes corrosion;
  • check the cooling system; replace thermostat, hoses, fan belt; consider rad recore upgrade;
  • check every part of the body for rust; especially doors, sills, floor, wheel well and rear transom area.
The lubrication system was good but, with wear, can fail to hold required pressure when hot at low rpm. The cooling system was marginal when new in climates like SoCal/Arizona or most of Australia . . . I know. We chose to recore with a slightly thicker, far more efficient matrix, and never had any further issues. The brakes were superb for their day . . . but that day was 50 years ago. I'm not being critical; just realistic. Whether you choose to upgrade the brakes or simply bring them back to new spec, is moot.

It is tempting with a new/old classic to focus on the superficials, but get these fundamentals sorted and you set up a good basis for a long lived E-Type. Best wishes.

Ken

Old 11-09-2014, 07:22 PM
Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

Congratulations on your new car, one of the finest sports cars of all time, and great that you can keep it in the family. I would certainly replace the fluids, and consider replacing the rubber brake hoses. These use heavier oils than modern cars, 20W-50 is a common one. Check the tires for cracking on the sidewalls, on cars that do not get driven often,m the tires often rot out before they wear out.

Old 12-24-2014, 05:04 PM
Received 100 Likes on 40 Posts

Don't worry about a little oil leak now. If its been sitting for a while, some of the seals may be dried up and once you get the car up and running, you may develop more, so be patient. Don't drive too far at first. I bought a '64 over 20 years ago that was sitting for a long time. First the brakes froze up, then the drive shaft U joint disintegrated, then the radiator blew, the the water pump gave out, then I had to flush the gas tank, the starter gave out, the carbs started gushing out gas.. and on and on. Fortunately, I live new John Farrell, who has every part you can ask for, and everything can be replaced with a basic tool kit. in one summer I sorted the car and I've maintained it since…never had to bring it to a mechanic in over 20 years. But it still does leak oil. (Tip.. I always keep the following things in the boot; Spare set of water hoses, extra coil, spark plugs, spare fuel pump, electric fan motor, belts and a complete tool kit).

Attached Thumbnails New to me 1964 Jag-img_20140927_102740_682.jpg  
Old 12-25-2014, 08:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i share your exictment and concerns

welcome to he forum, my 69 fhc is on it's way from Hawaii to Colorado as I type. wanted and e for over 50 years and it finally came true. I kept my triumphs, mg's and morgan's running back in the 60's and 70's but, like you, have had modern cars for 40+ years. thus I am having it dropped off at a small specialty shop before the drive home for a once over by a guy that has worked on jags for 30 years and loves e's. although she ran beautifully (had to fly to Hawaii to check her out and buy her) I recognize altitude adjustments are required and I could use a refresher course in english car mechanics. fortunately, it is such a small shop they will let me assist with the work. might consider this reasoning.

bill m

Old 02-13-2015, 07:46 AM

Good luck with your E-type!

Being in South Bend, you're not that far away from Muncie Imports and Classics, one of the best E-type shops in the country. They did a nut & bolt restoration on my '64 E-type 8 years ago and the car still looks and runs like new. I wouldn't hesitate to use them to sort out any problems you may run across as you bring that Jaguar back to life in the Spring.

Best of luck,
Alan

Old 05-25-2015, 04:03 PM
Banned

let me know if you'd ever like to sell id be intereasted