E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Parts question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 02:09 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Parts question...

First, a huge thank you to Fraser for helping me sort out a 69 SII FHC that arrived from his shores to me a few weeks ago. She needs a little love which I expected but overall is in excellent shape.

The car is currently at a known Indi Jag specialty shop for a once over and to address issues not caught by the seller (who are willing to fund some parts required). I'm sharing for educational purposes, to learn from members and ask a question concerning sourcing parts; for example, the Jag shop owner sources specific parts from specific vendors and avoids parts from China. How have members fared in this respect? Use one source? Part dependent? Etc.

The shop owner discoveries on my car:

1. Master Cylinder leak, could be just a seal or here comes a new master cylinder...
2. Fuel sending unit leak, could be just a seal otherwise, here comes a new gas tank...
3. Couple of missing underside panels in front - will be replaced
4. Shot bushings - will be replaced
5. New brake lines but leaky fittings - to be remedied
6. Tach likely requires refurbishing - will be done
7. Missing strut to prevent bonnet from hitting the ground when open

I'll take dry rot for $100 Alex...and oil...

Nice red bolt... and crack...

Missing underside panel, 1 of 2 missing.

Sending unit looking dicey

Master cylinder not so bright and shiny... notice, weird piece of wood near battery, that's got to go...

Leaky brake fitting

Old 08-02-2020, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Hi there, Fraser here

Glad to know the car is panning out fairly well, it is always something of a gamble buying sight unseen, but here I think you paid the right price for what you got, although only some road use will show how good the car is. I presume the engine and drive train is OK.

Not too bad a list of things to sort out, nothing too serious there although labour charges to replace bushes will far exceed the cost of them ! The car certainly looks pretty clean underneath, no crumbly metal ! The vendor may not even have realised there should be two underside panels as they are a general classic car garage, not Jaguar specific.

As for parts sources, there can be some very poor parts, not all from China ! WIth cars this old, there aren't just no factory spares, but no OEM ones either, so one has to buy very carefully. My MG Midget is 43 years old now, and there are serious issues with certain parts no longer made by the original supplier, so one has to rely on after-market patterns.

Last edited by Fraser Mitchell; 08-02-2020 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:55 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Smile Fras!!

Completely agree with you, I’m quite pleased and appreciated there would be lesser details with which to contend. I have nothing but wonderful things to say concerning the vendor, great people. Would purchase another car off of them in a heart beat. Actually, upon being asked was more than happy to agree to serve as a reference. From the multiple pics sent, I was confident in the frame, body and interior. Concerning the engine and drive train, I relied on the vendor’s experience and trustworthiness in which I came to have great confidence. I drove the car about 80 miles before bringing it to the shop and it hummed nicely.

The local Jag shop said that the car is in great shape and concurs with you Fras, that the issues to address are not major. Regarding parts, your comments reflect those of the owner of the shop I chose. I typically order parts for my cars for numerous reasons, but as you and he pointed out, it isn’t so easy with these cars. So while there are excellent Jag parts sources like Terry’s, Welsh and Moss, one may need to be specific concerning which aftermarket part is best within their inventory.

As always, appreciate the input!