E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Question about noisy Convertible top

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2021, 06:43 PM
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
Question Question about noisy Convertible top

Hi all, I have purchased a 67 OTS about a year ago after not having a convertible for about 40 years.
This past weekend I took out for a drive for the first time with the top up. I have had other convertible E-Types in the past, but I don't remember the top being so noisy.
At about 55 mph the canvas top starts moving up and down (I guess about a 1/4") rapidly slapping against the bow that is the closest to the windshield. It makes an unbearable racket, and it makes no difference if the side windows are opened or closed. I don't understand why it does this. The top fits perfectly. It is tight over the bows and it is not loose at all. The only way to alleviate the noise is by sliding my hand between the top of the bow and the canvas top.
Is this the way it has always been and I just don't remember, or is there something wrong with my top?
Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks,
Bill.

Old 09-20-2021, 07:56 PM
Received 111 Likes on 94 Posts

The canvas tops had a weight tube sewn into the top to prevent buffeting. I don't remember if the vinyl tops did.

From the JCNA Judges guide:TOP

Canvas possible through the early 1967 model year - at this point in time there are no numbers available when the change to vinyl occurred. As a point of information, on 1E15336, still in possession of the original owner and with its original top, the material is vinyl - non-zip rear window - chrome strip at lower back retains 4- chrome clips for top cover - clips may not be present on earliest cars (H – Pg. 47) - slotted screws retaining chrome trim at bottom of top

Old 09-20-2021, 09:42 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The drumming happens because air flowing over the top creates a low pressure zone (much like on a wing) so the fabric gets pulled upward anytime you're at a speed sufficient to create the pressure differential. Side windows are not a factor, it's air over the center of the top that causes it and there's not much you can do to change the physics. I don't know about the Series 1 or 2 but on my (original) Series 3 vinyl top there is a long strip of vinyl sewn into the inside of the top that runs along and is glued around the center metal bow. This holds the top down and keeps it from drumming when under way. Perhaps some Series 1 owner can fill you in on if/how your top should be attached to the bow.

Old 09-21-2021, 07:02 AM
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Hi guys,
Thanks for the information. The rear bow is covered by a fabric tube sewn onto the top, and that makes all sense in the world. I just can't understand why there isn't a similar tube for the front bow. I remember an old Alfa Romeo I used to own long ago, and it had the fabric tubes for the bows, and the tubes had zippers on them so you could remove the top fabric from the metal bow assembly. I'm thinking I might try sone industrial strength velcro as a temporary solution until I take the car to an upholsterer for a more permanent arrangement. Any opinions on this? other ideas???
Thanks,
Bill.

Old 09-21-2021, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

As I recall this problem occurred when Norman Dewis was road testing the car on the M1 motorway. I think some double-row chain was used to dampen it down.

Edit
I found this: -
Lead Shot bag in OTS roof & Trimmers - The 'E' Type Forum
So the chain in the development cars was changed to lead shot in a tubular bag !

Last edited by Fraser Mitchell; 09-21-2021 at 01:48 PM.