E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

Radio questions....

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 01:04 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Radio questions....

My car does not have a radio and while I can live without one, am interested in researching what is required to install an uncomplex system, i.e., basic a.m. f.m. radio. I’m not interested in USB ports, iPhone connectivity, etc. It seems I need the following.

1. Radio console
2. Console fascia (mine has an opening and includes speaker grills but has a blank rectangular insert in the space for the radio - can it be adapted? (see pic attached)
3. Speakers and speaker rings - duh
4 Radio - seemingly the most difficult part, lots of retro fancy stuff... but I’d like just a ‘RadioShack’ push button old timey unit, unless that simply isn't doable.
5. Particulars on the connections? Is it a nightmare? I only saw an antenna connection behind the console fascia..

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

My console and parts I believe I need, sans radio itself.. need help there...

Old 08-05-2020, 05:04 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You can usually find "old" radios on Ebay. Search under the names of the manufacturers, like Blaupunkt, Craig, etc. There are usually a few old ones listed with the newer models. My Series 3 came with a BL labeled AM/FM that was made by Bendix but I doubt there are many of those around. Good luck with your search.

The following users liked this post:
Smonop (08-05-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 06:40 PM
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Smonop,
As far as a radio to fit the original facia panel, I would go with a Blaupnkt Frankfurt or a Becker Europa, or Becker Europa 2. These are all simple AM/FM radios that are period correct. You can find them on Ebay, or you can surf the Porsche and Mercedes forums for used ones. I recently purchased a used Becker Europa for my 68 Coupe and paid $200 for it.
Good luck,
Bill.

The following users liked this post:
Smonop (08-05-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 03:19 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You may find an old radio that works properly but the problem is they are old. And old in electronics doesn't just me out of date, which would be fine for you, it can mean trouble. Before going to the trouble to put it in with a non orig new console (or screwing up your orig console), reupholstery...and then have it fail or not work right you would probably want to get it rebuilt. Not cheap but if you want a $100 radio that costs you $400 go for it. Did it in one car. It kinda nice to have the old radio there but it's not up to task and cost too much for what I got. Regret it.

Rather than disturb your original console I would use a Blue Tooth integrated amp. Leave your stock console in place, hide it anywhere in the car with access to power and the speakers and play pre-recorded music from it, or an on line music app, or radio from your cell phone or MP3 player. Most cells and MP3 devices have a real off air radio function. There are a few small bluetooth amps on the market, Out of Sight Audio has one that's quite small, about the size of a pack of smokes. It's OK but no too powerful. There is a Motorola one that is a little larger and more powerful and has a hard wired remote that is convenient, rather than having to look at your phone or a little MP3 player. Long small cable on it with a small remote you can mount or leave loose in a convenient place and tuck it away when not wanted.

I put the Out of Sight Audio one in my S1 sitting on the tranny cover behind the center console and left my blank plate in place. Put a Moto unit in my Sprite and El Camino. They work great.

I like the look of no radio in the dash so to each his own. Use my 2 cents.

Old 08-06-2020, 03:21 PM

Oh, and no drilling holes for an antenna.

Old 08-06-2020, 08:41 PM
Default Great!

Originally Posted by mtnjaguar
Rather than disturb your original console I would use a Blue Tooth integrated amp. Leave your stock console in place, hide it anywhere in the car with access to power and the speakers and play pre-recorded music from it, or an on line music app, or radio from your cell phone or MP3 player. Most cells and MP3 devices have a real off air radio function. There are a few small bluetooth amps on the market, Out of Sight Audio has one that's quite small, about the size of a pack of smokes. It's OK but no too powerful. There is a Motorola one that is a little larger and more powerful and has a hard wired remote that is convenient, rather than having to look at your phone or a little MP3 player. Long small cable on it with a small remote you can mount or leave loose in a convenient place and tuck it away when not wanted.
I love this idea! I will investigate and may PM you for more details. Thank you!

Old 08-07-2020, 05:16 PM

Just saw another Idea on the AHEXP site on the Sprite forum. He put a Bluetooth speaker in. It needs power and that's it. It receives the Bluetooth signal from your phone or device.
He has it set up with a couple of USB charging ports too. Its kinda modern though. He has it hidden under the dash.
Just another idea to confuse you.

Old 08-07-2020, 06:34 PM

The concept of the Out Of Sight receiver appeals to me but I would like to see the connection set up, there are no videos or illustrations demonstrating online or on YouTube. I’m especially interested to know how the speakers are connected and which to use for the car’s original design. Anyone? Thanks!

Old 08-08-2020, 10:48 AM

Hmmm, I thought I posted some of this but doesn't show up.

First, I misspoke on the 2nd unit. It's the KENWOOD KAC-M1824BT. NOT a Motorola.

Connections are the same for both.

Speakers connect by hardwire directly to the amp. You need fused power to the amp. VERY simple to connect. Really, as simple as it gets.

My car is a 62 and my console has round speaker grills stock. I placed the unit inside the console and used 6.5" Focal speakers with a high db rating, higher the db rating the more sensitive the speakers and the louder they play for a given power input.
I spaced the speakers out from the surface of the console with spacers you can buy since they were too big for the stock holes and I didn't want to cut. Used the new grill and put the orig grills away.

Works great. Its about as simple as you can get and although not the optimum system I didn't want to cut up the car to do that but wanted some sounds to cruise with on the long drives.

I will note there is also a cavity formed in the factory sheet metal on the outside wall of the footwell that will fit a 4" speaker by just cutting the hardura, not sheet metal work, if you want a set of speakers there.
My car is a DHC and there is also a factory cavity where the top bottom brace attaches that could be utilized in a similar way.
You'll need a separate amp for these speakers if you use the OOS Audio as it doesn't have the power to push them for a DHC, maybe in a FHC.
The base OOS unit does not have a signal out for a separate amp or subwoofer but the up model ones do.

Or you can pop a couple of stand alone speaker boxes behind the seats with speakers in them. Sound is behind you but that works good too. Sound is probably better than speakers in the console if that's important to you.
That's what I did in the Sprite-6x9s and I I can hear them when cruising at 65mph with the top down, and in a Sprite that's saying something.

The Kenwood KAC-M1824BT unit has significantly more power than the OOS Audio unit although slightly larger. You could probably power 4 speakers with it,
I have it bridged to give all it's power to 2 speakers in the Sprite and El Camino and it can go loud without distortion.
It also has the wired remote which I like, more convenient. Running a signal out to a powered subwoofer in the El Camino.

Amazon and Crutchfield both sell the unit. Crutchfield will give you very good tech support.
Look around for a unit. I bought both mine for under $150 each, I see those guys want $229 and $249 respectively, maybe the price is up.

Old 08-08-2020, 11:14 AM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

I have a excellent condition Kenwood KDC322 which is AM FM and has a four channel output, a remote, It is a 1 Din with a bezel and mounting case albeit you would have to fabricate two brackets to screw into the dash screws. It also has the male plug that wires the radio to power and speakers. I got my $200.00 Jag radio working and was going to put the Kenwood on ebay. I would like $25.00 plus about $15.00 S&H

Old 08-08-2020, 11:53 AM

Does DIN 1 fit the old style hole or do you need to cut for a bracket?

Old 08-08-2020, 09:51 PM

It is approximately 1/2 inch longer than the Jag Radio AJ9150W which fits an XJS 1993. In my opinion it is a "drop-in." All other dimension's are the same. I would suggest you search Kenwood KDC322 before you decide,

Last edited by afterburner1; 08-08-2020 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:44 AM

I may be wrong here but i think the member is looking for a period radio or hidden system for an etype. Took a look at it on line and that doesn’t look like an old school radio mount. It would appear to be the newer form type of radio that takes the rectangular “sleeve “ that is mounted in the dash and then the radio slips into it i believe. I don't think it would fit the old school dual dial hole in a dash, and of course isn’t an old school look. Nice receiver though.
I has a nice Alpine receiver and 6Cd changer system i sold and in researching discovered it was already called “old school” so i guess the term is in the eye of the beholder. Practically had to give it away.

Old 08-09-2020, 08:20 PM
Default Period radio or hidden

Originally Posted by mtnjaguar
I may be wrong here but i think the member is looking for a period radio or hidden system for an etype.
That is what I am seeking any way... I like the hidden aspect best I think. I checked out the Kenwood amp with the Bluetooth receiver. I like the concept but was turned off when I saw the hard wired control unit with the thick cord, making it less appealing. Hmmm...

Old 08-09-2020, 08:35 PM

I was put off by it too at first. But its a hell of alot more convenient and safer than trying to deal with your phone while driving-looking at it, swiping up the music, maybe having to reenter your password, seeing where the volume and play/pause/skip forward touch screen buttons are. An mp3player with tactile buttons would be better but thats still an issue too. Place the little remote close, its hideable, and you quickly know it by feel. Dont have to look at it or take your eyes off the road. And with that fat little cable it doesnt get list! Anyway, kinda like it now. I put it in two cars. Good amp in it too.

Old 08-09-2020, 08:37 PM

Damn phone, that’s “Lost”. Doesn’t get lost.

Old 08-09-2020, 09:14 PM

Can you possibly post a pic of the set up so I / we can see what the remote looks like and how you keep the cord hidden or less obvious? BTW, I tend to set my music up before I go on a jaunt so I don’t have to fuss with it. : )

Old 08-09-2020, 09:24 PM

Believe me, volume up down, skip a song you don’t want to hear right now, youll mess with it.

So i have the OOS Audio unit in the E and, well, it’s out of sight inside the console and I can’t show you any pics without removing the console. Ill send a pic of the console and speakers but that’s about it there. I have the Kenwood in the Sprite and El Camino and ill send a couple of pics of that and it will give you an idea of what you can do. It’ll be tomorrow.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:03 AM

Looking at your electrical diagram it looks like you have a quad speaker setup with four additional speakers in paralel. To me the installation of your current radio, albeit is defective, is quite common. If i was going to add a new radio, i would follow the schematic in fig 18

Old 08-10-2020, 04:12 PM

First pic series is the Sprite console with the Kenwood fully hidden. Lift the speaker screen and pull out the remote, I can reach it there so that's as far as it comes. Want to look in or put the remote back lift the speaker screen off. Ready to leave, lift the grill, drop the remote back in, put the grill down, no radio. It plays that way too of course if you want to use your phone instead of the remote.
Next the Jag E SI console with 6.5" speakers with spacers in the stock location. Unit inside the console is the Out of Sight Audio unit. All contained inside the Console. I also have another set of speakers driven by a small amp in the trunk as I don't think the OOS has the power, in an Etype with the top down, to actually push 4 speakers loud enough even though it has the connections for them. Not bridgeable.
Then the El Camino. Mounted on a piece of alum on the back wall between the cab and truck bed. The remote is in the case sitting on top of the amp. It stays there until I want to use it then I pull it up front. I will be installing buckets and a center console in this car and then I'll bring it underneath the console to the front somewhere and tuck it in somewhere. Might even stick the little mount on the driver side of the console or something.
You also see the volume knob for output of the sub I have connected through the RCA outs. It controls the crossover filer on the sub. It is not part of the Kenwood.

Hope this gives you some ideas. I think the Kenwood would also fit the Jag console but you would need to check. It definitely has more power than the OOS and can be bridged from 4 channels to 2 channels for even more power.
In general more power means you don't have to turn the amp up as high to get similar volume over a lesser powered amp which means less distortion at a given volume which means better sound.

Quick Reply: Radio questions....